The Student Room Group

Being a private candidate for AS level

I am thinking of being a private candidate for AS level for the subjects English, math and economics. But i have a doubt on how to improve in English subject and economics by studying on my own. So please let me know any ideas or tips i can follow to study these subjects well on my own.
Original post by Fathima hudha
I am thinking of being a private candidate for AS level for the subjects English, math and economics. But i have a doubt on how to improve in English subject and economics by studying on my own. So please let me know any ideas or tips i can follow to study these subjects well on my own.

I will assume you are non UK?

If you are a private candidate then I suggest:

1. Get good text and revision books.
2. Be well organised.
3. Use past papers and mark schemes.
4. Get a tutor if you need one.
5. Work hard and to a timetable.

It is more challenging as a private student , but not impossible.
thankyou so much for your fast reply. but can i please know whether being a private candidate for AS level, meaning not having an institutions name in my AS certificate, effect me when i join for my degrees in say, any universities.
Definitely possible.

I don't think I have to repeat what @999tigger has said but do bear in mind of your emotional well being and don't underestimate it, if you are constantly in doors all the time with little human interaction then that will not do you any good whatsoever which in turn will take a toll on your studies so make sure have friends and spend time doing social stuff, etc..
yeah definitely. that was one thing i forgot to consider when i first thought of being a private candidate. thank you and it was worth mentioning.
Original post by Fathima hudha
thankyou so much for your fast reply. but can i please know whether being a private candidate for AS level, meaning not having an institutions name in my AS certificate, effect me when i join for my degrees in say, any universities.

No. They are only really interested in the grade.
Institutions require the full A level certificate and not just AS.

There is a knack to doing distance learning an it requires you to be a self starter and take responsibility. It is harder because of You d miss on the social aspect of a teacher and classmates, but focus and you can work round it, slack and you can fall quickly behind. Nutter is correct on paying attention to your mental well being as well.

It is important you organises so you keep on track.

Quick Reply

Latest