The Student Room Group

What’s the most interesting word?

I was having a conversation earlier about good words (like with interesting meanings or just sound great!) with a teacher and I wondered what the oh so wise and mighty TSR community thought would be some interesting words!

We came up with:
-la fac (french meaning the university...no guesses why we picked that!)
-le talkie walkie (french meaning walkie talkie)

Can anyone else think of some (in any language)? :smile:

Scroll to see replies

Talkie walkie... I wouldn't expect less from French :wink:
Uhhhhh I gotta rack my brain for this, I can only think of funny words and words I hate... you may as well hear those lol
trabajaba - I was working (Spanish) it just sounds so funny!
Choufleur is pretty funny, it means cauliflower in French :biggrin:
proveedor - provider (Spanish) - I don't know, the double e just makes me cringe lolol (this is one I hate :angry:)
I don't know why but I find Krankenwagen (ambulance - German) funny too lol and also a lot of other random German words, especially the long ones and my favourite GCSE saviour words when I have nothing to say - hilfsbereit and leidenschaftlich heheh
Yaourter - search it up :wink: (French as you can see)
Spleen is weird, in English and French (but funny that it means different things in both languages)
I would say I have more but I can't think of any now haha, actually for Christmas a good friend gave me a book of cool words in loads of random languages so I could look at that lol
Reply 2
Bird.
Reply 3

puṣpadhūpagandhamālyavilepanacūrṇacīvaracchatradhvajaghaṇṭāpatākābhiḥ
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by mundosinfin
Talkie walkie... I wouldn't expect less from French :wink:
Uhhhhh I gotta rack my brain for this, I can only think of funny words and words I hate... you may as well hear those lol
trabajaba - I was working (Spanish) it just sounds so funny!
Choufleur is pretty funny, it means cauliflower in French :biggrin:
proveedor - provider (Spanish) - I don't know, the double e just makes me cringe lolol (this is one I hate :angry:)
I don't know why but I find Krankenwagen (ambulance - German) funny too lol and also a lot of other random German words, especially the long ones and my favourite GCSE saviour words when I have nothing to say - hilfsbereit and leidenschaftlich heheh
Yaourter - search it up :wink: (French as you can see)
Spleen is weird, in English and French (but funny that it means different things in both languages)
I would say I have more but I can't think of any now haha, actually for Christmas a good friend gave me a book of cool words in loads of random languages so I could look at that lol

That book sounds awesome:biggrin:
So many great words lol
Reply 5
Original post by UWS
Bird.

Correct :yep:
Reply 6
I see:K:
What does it mean though?:dontknow:
Reply 7
Jockstrap
Reply 8
Original post by gjd800

puṣpadhūpagandhamālyavilepanacūrṇacīvaracchatradhvajaghaṇṭāpatākābhiḥ

Isn't code a language not a word?:ashamed2:
Reply 9
Original post by Ikeo
Jockstrap

:eek4:
Original post by UWS
Bird.

Not sure if Family guy reference or not......

Also the most interesting word is the phobia of long words -Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia
Original post by Bulletzone
Not sure if Family guy reference or not......

Also the most interesting word is the phobia of long words -Hippopotomonstrosesquippedaliophobia

That's a good one:clap2:
Reply 12
Original post by Toastiekid
Isn't code a language not a word?:ashamed2:

I used a code box to stop the auto-separation of words every 32 characters or so. It's Sanskrit, it is many words functioning as one single word (more specifically, a closed compound).
(edited 6 years ago)
discombobulated
Original post by gjd800
I used a code box to stop the auto-separation of words every 32 characters or so. It's Sanskrit, it is many words functioning as one single word (more specifically, a closed compound).

Oh okay:h:
What does it say then?
Schweinefleisch - pork in German. Like swine flesh :biggrin:
Original post by s.m30
discombobulated

oooh yeah, it sounds lovely when you say it:music:
Reply 17
Oh okay:h:
What does it say then?

'Honoured by/with divine (declined in the inst. pl.) flags, bells, banners, protections, robes, aromatic powders and perfumes, and garlands of scented flowers'.
Reply 18
I see:K:
What does it mean though?:dontknow:

Being against doctrines that promote the removal of status from the Church of England.
Original post by alextheowl
Schweinefleisch - pork in German. Like swine flesh :biggrin:

is that the literal meaning?:shock:
I suppose it's rather logical though :^_^:

Quick Reply

Latest