The Student Room Group
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth

Portsmouth accomodation

I'm going to portsmouth in September with an Unconditional but I'm having trouble with picking accomodation.
I like James Watson, Greetham and Margaret Rule but i can't pick between them!
From the applicant day I saw yhat James Watson had quite roomy rooms. Is this the case with all the rooms?
And I heard that Greetham and Margaret both have double beds and I really don't want that....
Also what are the reputations for each?
If anyone can give me anymore information about accomodation I'd be very grateful!
Reply 1
Original post by CookieBearxox
I'm going to portsmouth in September with an Unconditional but I'm having trouble with picking accomodation.
From the applicant day I saw yhat James Watson had quite roomy rooms. Is this the case with all the rooms?
And I heard that Greetham and Margaret both have double beds and I really don't want that....
If anyone can give me anymore information about accomodation I'd be very grateful!

A few of my freinds said Greetham is best for social life but also feeling like a home. I applied for Greetham and James Watson, happy with whatever... Just want a good balance of work and social
Group Work, University of Portsmouth
University of Portsmouth
Portsmouth
Original post by Thane1
A few of my freinds said Greetham is best for social life but also feeling like a home. I applied for Greetham and James Watson, happy with whatever... Just want a good balance of work and social

I also like James Watsom and Greetham but I feel like Greetham is expensive for how little room you get with a double bed.
Reply 3
I also like James Watsom and Greetham but I feel like Greetham is expensive for how little room you get with a double bed.

Yeah that is true. It is expensive but worth the money as you will meet loads of people in the flats, you have a massive common room and a double bed! I understand what you mean about the bed because I have always slept in a single, the main reason I chose Greetham was for the social and meeting new people
Hello! Just to clarify, the beds are 3/4 size (so not quiiiiiiite a double, but almost!), so you get something a little larger than a single. They are "Ottoman" style so you lift them up and you have storage underneath.
Reply 5
Original post by UoPHousingTeam
Hello! Just to clarify, the beds are 3/4 size (so not quiiiiiiite a double, but almost!), so you get something a little larger than a single. They are "Ottoman" style so you lift them up and you have storage underneath.

I did not know that. But it sounds cool to me
Original post by UoPHousingTeam

Is that the same for all the halls that have those beds? Cause that's pretty cool!
Also which accommodation options have those kinds of beds cause I can't find that information anywhere!
Is that the same for all the halls that have those beds? Cause that's pretty cool!
Also which accommodation options have those kinds of beds cause I can't find that information anywhere!

The halls with the 3/4 size beds are Catherine House, Margaret Rule Hall, Chaucer House and Greetham Street. I hope this helps!
I've stayed in Margaret rule and had friends in the others. Greetham Street, being the newest, is modern and has a nice common room, but as you mentioned, the rooms are pretty small with a 3/4 bed. I also think it's too pricey for what you get compared to the others. Kitchens were spacious too.

James Watson has spacious/roomy rooms which is helped by the single beds (I haven't seem them all though so there may be some different). The place also seems older and not as modern as the others. Kitchens were also spacious too.

I preferred Margaret rule as I saw it as a best of both. The rooms were spacious and had a 3/4 bed which was great and, because of the flats having been refurbished not long ago, it seemed newer. What was annoying however was how much the flat sizes seemed to vary. I'm not sure how much they differed in the other buildings, but I ended up in a small flat with a tiny kitchen (with no sofas) while a friend of mine in the same building had a huge kitchen with lots of seating area (which is obviously a bonus for social gatherings).

I personally thought James Watson was the worst but that's because I prefer more modern places. And what's not to like about bigger beds?? :P

Not sure what was meant above about 'feeling like home' and the social aspect of each as I think that depends more on the people you end up living with and around as apposed to the building.
(edited 6 years ago)
I think the Chaucer building is currently being built, ready for 2018. Does this accommodation have a lobby area and if so could you describe it? Thanks.
Reply 10

I saw James Watson on a tour yesterday, personally I found it very cramped and boxy. Personally I liked Greetham the best, its on the pricier side but the appeal and massive lounge area that overlooks the city really sold it to me.
Reply 11
Original post by Red Herring
I've stayed in Margaret rule and had friends in the others. Greetham Street, being the newest, is modern and has a nice common room, but as you mentioned, the rooms are pretty small with a 3/4 bed. I also think it's too pricey for what you get compared to the others. Kitchens were spacious too.

James Watson has spacious/roomy rooms which is helped by the single beds (I haven't seem them all though so there may be some different). The place also seems older and not as modern as the others. Kitchens were also spacious too.

I preferred Margaret rule as I saw it as a best of both. The rooms were spacious and had a 3/4 bed which was great and, because of the flats having been refurbished not long ago, it seemed newer. What was annoying however was how much the flat sizes seemed to vary. I'm not sure how much they differed in the other buildings, but I ended up in a small flat with a tiny kitchen (with no sofas) while a friend of mine in the same building had a huge kitchen with lots of seating area (which is obviously a bonus for social gatherings).

I personally thought James Watson was the worst but that's because I prefer more modern places. And what's not to like about bigger beds?? :P

Not sure what was meant above about 'feeling like home' and the social aspect of each as I think that depends more on the people you end up living with and around as apposed to the building.

I agree James Watsons kitchen area was shockingly small, with a small leather sofa shoved in the corner, the price didn't justify it :'D
I got an unconditional and chose Greetham Street as my first choice accommodation with Catherine House as second and Chaucer House as my third. I'm just worried about the sizes of the rooms because they seem really small for what we're paying for
Original post by Georgia Pontin
I got an unconditional and chose Greetham Street as my first choice accommodation with Catherine House as second and Chaucer House as my third. I'm just worried about the sizes of the rooms because they seem really small for what we're paying for

To be honest the accommodation seems very good value compared to other universities, Catherine house especially. It seems crazy that Catherine house costs just £4 a week more than James Watson.
That’s interesting. Thanks for sharing. Did you have the option of the newer accommodations such as Catherine house, Greatham Street and Margeret Rule Hall? If so, what made you choose James Watson over the other accommodations?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending