The Student Room Group

How many people go home during reading week?

Just curious :wink:

I don't bother going home during my reading weeks, as I live 6 hours away from my uni city, and it costs me about £80 each way, so it doesn't feel worth it. I also usually have at least one deadline during my reading weeks, so I don't want to the stress of travelling 12 hours that week as well as trying to finish and submit assignments.
I live about 4 hours away from home and to be honest I don't really miss it that much. Where I am feels a lot like home so it's not bad being away for so long. I didn't go home during October reading week, however I did go home for a few days this February one just gone. I won't be going home again until I'm moving out at the end of May after finishing first year unless someone dies or something. It's so much hassle with trains, packing, feeling like I'm a guest whilst at home, then going back etc.
This happened to me last semester. I had 1 Psychology module in that took its reading week in week 10 and the other 2 Linguistics modules took their reading week in week 11. So I ended up having to do 2 Psychology lectures in what should have been my reading week.
‘Reading week’ is nothing more than a holiday. They just call it that in instill confidence in the university’s stakeholders.
Original post by PhoenixFortune
Just curious :wink:

I don't bother going home during my reading weeks, as I live 6 hours away from my uni city, and it costs me about £80 each way, so it doesn't feel worth it. I also usually have at least one deadline during my reading weeks, so I don't want to the stress of travelling 12 hours that week as well as trying to finish and submit assignments.

I don't go home either. Takes about 4 hr 30 mins to get from Edinburgh to London and then another 1hr 30 mins train from King's Cross.
Im in first year. First term stayed at uni and next came home.. get more done and can go to work too.
Original post by Lemon Haze
‘Reading week’ is nothing more than a holiday. They just call it that in instill confidence in the university’s stakeholders.

Depends on the course and university.
Several use the time as an "enhancement week" and run trips, short courses and extra modules in that time
I don't actually have a reading week, so I tend to stay at university for 10 weeks at a time (throughout the whole term) and go home for 4 weeks during the holidays. If I did have a reading week, the decision to go home or not would depend on how much work I have at the time. Since I live about 5 hours away I'd need to feel as if I have enough opportunity to get home, relax for at least 5 days, and prepare to make my way back.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending