The Student Room Group
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website

Unconditional offer

Do you think by giving us unconditional offers they’re trying to buy us in?

I mean eventhough its a secure choice and you know you will be attending uni in September. Is it still the best choice, is Coventry actually a good university?

I want to study criminology and law, any advice?
Original post by Kivs
Do you think by giving us unconditional offers they’re trying to buy us in?

I mean eventhough its a secure choice and you know you will be attending uni in September. Is it still the best choice, is Coventry actually a good university?

I want to study criminology and law, any advice?

It is an incentive, some might call it a bribe. You have to decide whether it is a good choice for you or youd rather back yourself for one of your other choices. If I preferred somewhere else that was much better then i would back myself, but it's a personal choice.
Coventry University
Coventry University
Coventry
Visit website
Reply 2
Original post by 999tigger
It is an incentive, some might call it a bribe. You have to decide whether it is a good choice for you or youd rather back yourself for one of your other choices. If I preferred somewhere else that was much better then i would back myself, but it's a personal choice.

Yeah I guess so. It’s just a very hard choice, I feel like for me to choose the unconditional offer it puts me in a more secure place. Knowing that I will be going Uni in September is more stress free and a relief. Do you have any opinions on Coventry uni. I originally wanted to go Kent uni but now i’m just extremely confused.
Original post by Kivs
Yeah I guess so. It’s just a very hard choice, I feel like for me to choose the unconditional offer it puts me in a more secure place. Knowing that I will be going Uni in September is more stress free and a relief. Do you have any opinions on Coventry uni. I originally wanted to go Kent uni but now i’m just extremely confused.

I'd choose the university that you feel will benefit you more, this can be down to the actual course or the environment you'll be studying/living in. Visit open days/applicant days and really try to find out as much as possible. Unconditionals are great if the uni that offers it, is the one you already knew was your favourite but if Kent stands out more, go with your gut and decline the unconditional as you may come to regret it~
Original post by Kivs

Chloanya gives a good take on it.
Do your research and gauge if they are far apart then decide if the risk is worth it.

Find out where the course is, but also which one would suit you and whether ken have made you an offer plus impressions from the open day. Things should be clearer then.

Which course?

Personally id rather go to the uni I wanted to and would back myself to get the grades, even f I had to resit.
If it was a conditional offer, would you want to firm it?

If the answer is no - don't accept the unconditional offer.
Reply 6
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2017/may/16/university-league-tables-2018
This is the league tables for 2018 in Law. Kent ranks no. 15 and Coventry no.30 (which isn't bad)- this is what helped me chose my firm and insurance.
Just remember you're paying £9250 a year so ideally you want to pick the highest ranking from your options, as employers will be looking at this over anything else.
Reply 7
Yeah, thank you all for the support.

I’ve visited all the open days and done my research. In my opinion both the universities have their pro’s and cons.
I’m going to be completely honest, I am a very out going and sociable individual which I personally intend to do in university. However, I also am very hard working and have got my head in my books as I am very organised and well managed.

From my first judgement of the two universities, Kent lacks facilities with it’s social life, but the only reason I’m considering to put it as a firm is due to its high rankings on the leaderboards.

Where as in Coventry, its a bit lower down the scale but The on the Guardian rankings, Coventry holds its place at 12th but other university ranking websites it was 43rd. I mean it’s in the top 50 so It is alright I suppose, but what I enjoy about Coventry is the night life and it’s close to Birmingham.

Wow I really have wrote a lot, but I just want you to all understand where I am coming from and any possible advice you have.

Like I said I appreciate all the messages.
Original post by g2202
https://www.theguardian.com/education/ng-interactive/2017/may/16/university-league-tables-2018
This is the league tables for 2018 in Law. Kent ranks no. 15 and Coventry no.30 (which isn't bad)- this is what helped me chose my firm and insurance.
Just remember you're paying £9250 a year so ideally you want to pick the highest ranking from your options, as employers will be looking at this over anything else.

Not true. They will be looking at the grade you get and any experience you have over anything.
Original post by g2202

I also cannot agree with this at all. Getting into a higher ranked Uni shows academic success yes but it doesn't speak for the individual as a whole. For example, I've firmed an unconditional offer at a lower ranked uni because out of the 5 I applied to I felt most comfortable there, I felt it was a place of which I could be myself and thrive, whereas if I stuck with one of the higher ranked ones which I received an offer for simply because it had a better name I fear that I'd be too self conscious about my own academic ability to enjoy my experience and most importantly gain anything that employers would be looking for. I understand why people prioritise the university's name I just believe that there's more than that because of individual differences

Original post by Kivs
Yeah, thank you all for the support.

I’ve visited all the open days and done my research. In my opinion both the universities have their pro’s and cons.
I’m going to be completely honest, I am a very out going and sociable individual which I personally intend to do in university. However, I also am very hard working and have got my head in my books as I am very organised and well managed.

From my first judgement of the two universities, Kent lacks facilities with it’s social life, but the only reason I’m considering to put it as a firm is due to its high rankings on the leaderboards.

Where as in Coventry, its a bit lower down the scale but The on the Guardian rankings, Coventry holds its place at 12th but other university ranking websites it was 43rd. I mean it’s in the top 50 so It is alright I suppose, but what I enjoy about Coventry is the night life and it’s close to Birmingham.

Wow I really have wrote a lot, but I just want you to all understand where I am coming from and any possible advice you have.

Like I said I appreciate all the messages.

With this information, in your situation I'd probably choose Coventry. Getting an outstanding education is obviously very important for any applicant but You've also got to acknowledge that you'll be spending at least 3 years of your life in the place you choose, It's about gaining skills and and developing personal attributes on top of subject knowledge and if you think a certain element of a university is going to restrain you then in my personal opinion, I wouldn't even consider it at all.
Also I've lived in Birmingham my entire life and if it's night life and social opportunity you're looking for, I'm confident it can provide :biggrin:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 10
Thank you!!
Reply 11
Very very relatable.
I just want to explore the best of both worlds because I don’t want to always be stuck indoors studying, that will be like A level all over again.

Thank you for the help

Quick Reply

Latest