The Student Room Group

I need guidance on what to do in y12 to prepare for med school

I have a set of questions that I need answering:

1) How much work experience do I need to do (minimum) other than working as a volunteer at the local hospital? Can anyone brainstorm me any ideas?

2) How can I get to shadow a surgeon or a GP? Where do I go for this information? Is it difficult to do this? Has anyone done this before?

3)For the UKCAT, I'm struggling with abstract reasoning questions. has anyone got any tips on how to ace them?

4)For my personal statement and interview, I am quite nervous since I heard that they need to be of top quality. Does anyone have any advice on what sources I can use (i.e. books I can read) so I have a hot topic to add into my personal statement and interview? I'm particular interested in neurology and have read a few books but I need more.

5) I haven't attended any medicine open days? Am I disadvantaged?

Thanks in advance!
Original post by Kushala Daora
I have a set of questions that I need answering:

1) How much work experience do I need to do (minimum) other than working as a volunteer at the local hospital? Can anyone brainstorm me any ideas?

2) How can I get to shadow a surgeon or a GP? Where do I go for this information? Is it difficult to do this? Has anyone done this before?

3)For the UKCAT, I'm struggling with abstract reasoning questions. has anyone got any tips on how to ace them?

4)For my personal statement and interview, I am quite nervous since I heard that they need to be of top quality. Does anyone have any advice on what sources I can use (i.e. books I can read) so I have a hot topic to add into my personal statement and interview? I'm particular interested in neurology and have read a few books but I need more.

5) I haven't attended any medicine open days? Am I disadvantaged?

Thanks in advance!

1. hey! Theres no minimum amount of work experience needed - whats more important is what you gain from it and how it has reinforced your desire to do medicine. If it helps i only did 4 days hospital, 4 days GP , some charity work and 4 sessions in a care home an managed to get interviews ! (still waiting to hear back from unis though haha). Volunteering and contributing back into community are the best types of experience i think.

2. send loads and loads of emails to hospitals around you kindly asking if they have any work experience placements available. i remember emailing so many places and in the end only one place got back to me saying they could offer me a couple days (barnet hospital)
the same with GP experience, just write a letter explaining how you are an aspiring doctor and would really benefit from some work experience to get more of an idea of the career. Most places will be willing to help! You could also call the places up directly too to ask. shadowing a surgeon may be difficult because there is sometimes age restrictions.

3. i didnt do that well on the ukcat so i wouldnt be able to give that good advice - but medify if really good !

4. for personal statement:
i bought a book on amazon of 100 medicine personal statements to get an idea of what needed to be included. reading them through made me realise the emphasise of showing what you learnt , skills youve gained and how that will help you to become a good doctor.

medical ethics - tony pope
genome - matt ridely
trust me im a junior doctor - max pemberton just some of my personal favourites :smile:
have you read when breath becomes air? its about a neurologist

5. no you will not be at a disadvantage!

i hope that helps :smile: PM me if there is anything else i may be able to help with
Original post by Alexandria7
1. hey! Theres no minimum amount of work experience needed - whats more important is what you gain from it and how it has reinforced your desire to do medicine. If it helps i only did 4 days hospital, 4 days GP , some charity work and 4 sessions in a care home an managed to get interviews ! (still waiting to hear back from unis though haha). Volunteering and contributing back into community are the best types of experience i think.

2. send loads and loads of emails to hospitals around you kindly asking if they have any work experience placements available. i remember emailing so many places and in the end only one place got back to me saying they could offer me a couple days (barnet hospital)
the same with GP experience, just write a letter explaining how you are an aspiring doctor and would really benefit from some work experience to get more of an idea of the career. Most places will be willing to help! You could also call the places up directly too to ask. shadowing a surgeon may be difficult because there is sometimes age restrictions.

3. i didnt do that well on the ukcat so i wouldnt be able to give that good advice - but medify if really good !

4. for personal statement:
i bought a book on amazon of 100 medicine personal statements to get an idea of what needed to be included. reading them through made me realise the emphasise of showing what you learnt , skills youve gained and how that will help you to become a good doctor.

medical ethics - tony pope
genome - matt ridely
trust me im a junior doctor - max pemberton just some of my personal favourites :smile:
have you read when breath becomes air? its about a neurologist

5. no you will not be at a disadvantage!

i hope that helps :smile: PM me if there is anything else i may be able to help with

Thank you for replying to my thread!
Woah, I'm surprised at the amount of work experience you had, and it seems the amount needed was greatly exaggerated when I was told. Although my sixth form advisor did stress the importance of linking your experience back to what makes you think you have the skills to have a career in medicine.

And on the GP shadowing issue, I will try doing emailing as many hospitals as I can. But recently, I was told that having a 30 minute conversation with a doctor counts as shadowing them. Is this true?

I will buy those books (including the 100 personal statement one) and yes I have read When Breath Comes To Air by Paul Kalinthi; I've read it several times and it never seems to get old.
Original post by Kushala Daora
Thank you for replying to my thread!
Woah, I'm surprised at the amount of work experience you had, and it seems the amount needed was greatly exaggerated when I was told. Although my sixth form advisor did stress the importance of linking your experience back to what makes you think you have the skills to have a career in medicine.

And on the GP shadowing issue, I will try doing emailing as many hospitals as I can. But recently, I was told that having a 30 minute conversation with a doctor counts as shadowing them. Is this true?

I will buy those books (including the 100 personal statement one) and yes I have read When Breath Comes To Air by Paul Kalinthi; I've read it several times and it never seems to get old.

no worries! i know the stress of applying to medical school - this is my second time round applying so i feel i have learnt from the mistakes i made in year 13 and hopefully i can stop you from making the same ones though you are probably not a idiot like me hahaha :smile:

mmm its a tricky one because i think you can gain a lot from sitting down and having a heart to heart conversation with a doctor but i think when it comes to work experience medical schools are looking for you to see different areas of nhs health care , like drawing comparisons to how health care is delivered in a GP setting vs hospital vs care home as well as different members of the multidisciplinary team and how they work together to ensure best care for patients. i think it does count to an extent but you really should try get experience where you see how doctors interact with patients. does that kinda make sense ?

also reading the medical school interview book (isc medical book) is really useful too when it comes to writing personal statement ! i found this out after i wrote my PS. also if you want any BMAT books i have some in really good condition that i wouldn't mind giving away for free!

if anything else comes to mind i will let you know ! but with my situation i did gain a lot from my work experience in the few days i was there - enough that i was able to muster up a decent ps. also kings college hospital have a really good volunteering programme if you live in london i would definitely reccomend!

Latest

Trending

Trending