The Student Room Group

organic chemistry! WHY SO HARD??????

I revised so much and practically memorised the entire section yet in practice questions I do SO BAD.

Why is it so hard. Am i missing something?
Reply 1
Are you doing past questions as well?
i'm in the same boat as you , looking forward to hearing some suggestions
Original post by Appazap
Are you doing past questions as well?

yes. I just wrote out 3 pages of the wntire topicc and wrote most of it without even looking in the book.

Yet i do so bad in the past paper questions.
Reply 4
Did u understand the concept of organic chemistry or did u just memorize it?
In order to score good in Organic chemistry u have understand the concept of it
Amen! Organic chemistry is so much harder than the rest of the A Level.
Reply 6
Original post by JammieDodger27
Amen! Organic chemistry is so much harder than the rest of the A Level.

I failing in physical chemistry and doing 'Ok' in organic chemistry; its just that my chemistry teacher makes it so boring that most of the class is half sleeping at the half of the period
Reply 7
Original post by RickHendricks
yes. I just wrote out 3 pages of the wntire topicc and wrote most of it without even looking in the book.

Yet i do so bad in the past paper questions.

Yeah i also do a level chemistry (year 13). Chem is annoying cos just memorising the textbook is not enough. You need to do past paper questions. After doing questions you need to see where you have gone wrong and learn from your mistakes. Keep answering the same question/same type of questions till you get it right.

From this it's clear that you know the stuff but not the exam technique which you will be able to master.
Original post by Rauhan
I failing in physical chemistry and doing 'Ok' in organic chemistry; its just that my chemistry teacher makes it so boring that most of the class is half sleeping at the half of the period

which part in physical chemistry
Reply 9
Thank god someone else thinks it's impossible - how do they expect us to do it???
Reply 10
Original post by Ray_Shadows
which part in physical chemistry

moles, enthalpy changes and equilibrium constant
Original post by Rauhan
moles, enthalpy changes and equilibrium constant

moles aren't too bad just got to remember the equations (for solids and liquids)

enthalpy change can be a pain in the ass , try watching mr rintoul videos on youtube it will help alot

idk what that last one is
Reply 12
Original post by Ray_Shadows
moles aren't too bad just got to remember the equations (for solids and liquids)

enthalpy change can be a pain in the ass , try watching mr rintoul videos on youtube it will help alot

idk what that last one is

Its basically an extension of equilibrium we did in igcse but a few extra things
I agree, it is extremely hard-but I finally got my head around most of it like nomenclature. It depends on the exam board, but the official AQA year 1 a level and AS student book really helped me understand it, and there this youtuber that does videos on it too.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=6mEO-3ogOA0
I revised so much and practically memorised the entire section yet in practice questions I do SO BAD.

Which part of organic chem can't you do?
Reply 15

If u understood the topic 'Introduction to Organic Chemistry' then u should be able to complete at least 30% or 40% of the paper/questions

Quick Reply

Latest