The Student Room Group

Winter tyres

How do you convince/ make people buy winter tyres? What slogan could I use?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
You want to sell winter tyres in the UK? Are you kidding me?
Original post by Turquaz

I lived in the UK for several years, and the fact they are so bad at plowing and de-icing their roads justifies winter tires.

They're a good investment, and will cost you less than crashing.
Reply 3
Original post by Turquaz

Some people can change their tyres in 30-45mins, and for weather like this currently it's worth it imo, especially if you have an expensive and or powerful car.
Reply 4
Original post by Dandaman1
I lived in the UK for several years, and the fact they are so bad at plowing and de-icing their roads justifies winter tires.

Well if you have a place to keep them when they are not on and money to swap them every time the season changes then go for it.
Original post by Turquaz

Yeah ik a bit crazy but doesn’t anyone have any idea on what slogan I can use
Original post by sabinenovikova02
Yeah ik a bit crazy but doesn’t anyone have any idea on what slogan I can use

"Costs you less than crashing."

There. Or how about:

"Don't 'slip' on a smart investment"
"Costs you less than crashing."

There. Or how about:

"Don't 'slip' on a smart investment"

Thank you
Original post by Turquaz

Have you looked outside your window lately? :curious:
Reply 9
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Have you looked outside your window lately? :curious:

Yes, I have. And there's a lot of snow outside. And we do use winter tyres. But then this is Canada so..
Reply 10
Original post by sabinenovikova02
How do you convince/ make people buy winter tyres? What slogan could I use?

Get a grip! Winter tyres.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Original post by Turquaz
Yes, I have. And there's a lot of snow outside. And we do use winter tyres. But then this is Canada so..

Ahh, I assumed you were from the UK. Anyways, there's a lot of snow here atm, and the winter tyres are certainly making the difference these past couple of days.

[video="youtube;elP_34ltdWI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI[/video]
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 12
Original post by RoyalSheepy
Ahh, I assumed you were from the UK. Anyways, there's a lot of snow here atm, and the winter tyres are certainly making the difference these past couple of days.

[video="youtube;elP_34ltdWI"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elP_34ltdWI[/video]

I still don't reckon there's enough snow across the year to justify the cost, not around here anyway - perhaps it's a different story in Wales and Scotland?
Reply 13
Original post by IWMTom
I still don't reckon there's enough snow across the year to justify the cost, not around here anyway - perhaps it's a different story in Wales and Scotland?

Yep. I have snowsocks for the very occasional times it snows, and primarily for trips to the Alps. Haven't used them this year but they are in the boot just in case...

These https://www.autosockdirect.co.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 14

Common sense isn't something to come across often. If winter tyres could stop you crashing and possibly dying or having a life changing injury, i'd say they're a pretty good investment😂 What the hell id Turquaz talking, of course this isn't Canada and we dont have feet of snow, but people get stuck, people crash etc and it would stop that, preventing crashes helps all of us! The less people injured in car crashes will mean less money is needed to be spent on the NHS because of crashes.
I had some all-season tyres on my last car... they were the older model of this they were just what it was fitted with when I bought it 2nd hand.
They were really a big improvement over summer tyres in the sort of weather we're having now... but tbh we don't get this sort of weather every year. and the council usually get the salt down (though they've been pretty crap this last week)

Might get cheap all season tyres in the future and just live with the cost of them wearing down faster.
Wouldn't get a specific set of winter tyres and change them over though.

biggest problem in this weather has been other people not knowing how to drive properly on roads that I could have driven down on summer tyres and blocking the road by crashing.
Reply 16
Original post by Doonesbury
Yep. I have snowsocks for the very occasional times it snows, and primarily for trips to the Alps. Haven't used them this year but they are in the boot just in case...

These https://www.autosockdirect.co.uk

Posted from TSR Mobile

I considered winter tyres on a second set of alloys and it was going to cost about £500, but it would mean I could swap them over myself. I know they have better performance below a certain temperature, etc etc, but honestly I've never really had any trouble with summer tyres in the winter.

Drive according to conditions, keep a set of snow socks for those times when you need extra grip, and always replace tyres at 4mm. Words to live by!
Original post by IWMTom

If your roads even remotely maintained then ye, no justification. If you are rural/live in the valleys of Wales or Scottish highlands or something; chances are you probably bought them the same time as your car lol.
Reply 18
Original post by nevershear
If your roads even remotely maintained then ye, no justification. If you are rural/live in the valleys of Wales or Scottish highlands or something; chances are you probably bought them the same time as your car lol.

When the snow started a few days ago and the roads were covered in a good few inches of the stuff, our gritting teams were caught off guard because it came a few hours earlier than expected.

Summer tyres with some good life left in them handled it perfectly. There's not really a big market for winter tyres here except in the places you've mentioned. PRSOM.
Reply 19
Original post by IWMTom
I considered winter tyres on a second set of alloys and it was going to cost about £500, but it would mean I could swap them over myself. I know they have better performance below a certain temperature, etc etc, but honestly I've never really had any trouble with summer tyres in the winter.

Drive according to conditions, keep a set of snow socks for those times when you need extra grip, and always replace tyres at 4mm. Words to live by!

Also, have a quattro :smug:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending