The Student Room Group

RAF OASC 4th March 2018

Just wondering if anyone here is attending OASC on the 4th of March? I’m going for pilot and just wanted to get in touch with people on my course, see if we can help each other and discuss preparation leading up to our date.

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Hi - likewise - going for pilot and attending oasc on 4th March not long to go now!
Reply 2
When did you have your CBAT? Mine was the 19th October. Do you know any good information then? Like hot topics to scrub up on? What preparation are you doing?
Reply 3
Original post by Wrooty
When did you have your CBAT? Mine was the 19th October. Do you know any good information then? Like hot topics to scrub up on? What preparation are you doing?

Had my CBAT at the end of September! how do you find it/get on? Just been doing lots of reading up on my current affair topics - re reading my raf knowledge notes from my filter and just out working on fitness. Done a few planning ex’s i found on one of these threads but apart from that the rest you can’t really prep for!! How is your prep coming?
Reply 4
Original post by Wrooty
Do you know any good information then? Like hot topics to scrub up on?

Do you not think you can work that out for yourself?
Reply 5
I actually enjoyed the CBAT strangely enough! Tiring but enjoyable. Yeah current affairs, chosing 5 uk and 5 international like most threads state. Planning exercises worried me as they time you and that puts me under a lot of pressure! Learning IOT week by week is a big one I heard, so that’s the main focus at the moment.
Reply 6
Original post by Drewski
Do you not think you can work that out for yourself?

Such a helpful post. If you have anymore please don’t hesitate to tell us.
Reply 7
Original post by Wrooty
Such a helpful post. If you have anymore please don’t hesitate to tell us.

It is, actually.

Having been through the process, successfully passed OASC, IOT and served as an officer, I think I'm reasonably credible in offering advice to people... There are a great number of current or former serving personnel on this forum, some in quite interesting positions. Irking them with a poor attitude here might not bode well for your career.

Anyway...
The RAF is looking for self starters. People with a bit of impetus to get themselves going.

The reason they ask you for current affairs topics during the interview is two fold;
1- they're looking to test your memory and how you retain information,
2- they're looking for your ability to decide what stories are important and why. There's no wrong answer with this, unless it's not your opinion you're parroting.

Therefore, stealing someone else's ideas and topics - when they will have picked them out because they connected certain dots to them - is a recipe for failure.

(And also, from a boarding officer point of view, it's deathly boring to hear the same topics for 12 hours a day.)

So, next time you want to spout off, just pause to think about who might be on the other end.
Reply 8
Original post by Drewski
It is, actually.

Having been through the process, successfully passed OASC, IOT and served as an officer, I think I'm reasonably credible in offering advice to people... There are a great number of current or former serving personnel on this forum, some in quite interesting positions. Irking them with a poor attitude here might not bode well for your career.

Anyway...
The RAF is looking for self starters. People with a bit of impetus to get themselves going.

The reason they ask you for current affairs topics during the interview is two fold;
1- they're looking to test your memory and how you retain information,
2- they're looking for your ability to decide what stories are important and why. There's no wrong answer with this, unless it's not your opinion you're parroting.

Therefore, stealing someone else's ideas and topics - when they will have picked them out because they connected certain dots to them - is a recipe for failure.

(And also, from a boarding officer point of view, it's deathly boring to hear the same topics for 12 hours a day.)

So, next time you want to spout off, just pause to think about who might be on the other end.

Apologies, I thought you were leaving a weightless comment, how wrong I was! I don’t want to steal any ideas, but for hot topics I meant exercise names - Mil Aid has been changed to Eagles Edge etc. Good stuff like that so we can help each other out.
Original post by Wrooty
Apologies, I thought you were leaving a weightless comment, how wrong I was! I don’t want to steal any ideas, but for hot topics I meant exercise names - Mil Aid has been changed to Eagles Edge etc. Good stuff like that so we can help each other out.

I haven't seen this documented anywhere?

It feels like there's more edges than a dodecahedron but as far as i'm aware it's only Dynamic Edge, Sharp Edge, Vital Edge and Decisive Edge... as far as I know.

Edit: you may find this useful - https://www.raf.mod.uk/recruitment/media/2337/20170804-iot_course_info_booklet.pdf
(edited 6 years ago)
Knowing the name isn't as important as knowing the aim.

The name changes, the aim doesn't.
Original post by Drewski
Knowing the name isn't as important as knowing the aim.

The name changes, the aim doesn't.

Thank you, as ever, Drewski.

I am struggling to find information about many of the exercises and as such so far I have the following;

T1

Dynamic Edge

First Step - 36 hours camping away from Cranwell, basic military skills in the field

Sharp Edge - More advanced military skills? How long does it last etc?

T2

MilAid - simulated military aid to civilians scenario - what does this entail?

Vital Edge - more advanced leads?

T3

Decisive Edge - simulated HQ air ops planning ?

Are these detailed somewhere?
Reply 12
I know for sure that Mil Aid has been changed to Eagles Edge. I found this out through a friend who is due to graduate next week! It is a new and updated version of itself. I do know the feeling though! So many names and exercises to remember!
Original post by EconWarrior
Thank you, as ever, Drewski.

I am struggling to find information about many of the exercises and as such so far I have the following;

T1

Dynamic Edge

First Step - 36 hours camping away from Cranwell, basic military skills in the field

Sharp Edge - More advanced military skills? How long does it last etc?

T2

MilAid - simulated military aid to civilians scenario - what does this entail?

Vital Edge - more advanced leads?

T3

Decisive Edge - simulated HQ air ops planning ?

Are these detailed somewhere?

'Vital edge' used to be known as decisive edge 1, with the term 3 version being decisive edge 2. If you search these names you should find out what they're for - they won't have changed much in the years since I did them.
Reply 14
Original post by Wrooty
I actually enjoyed the CBAT strangely enough! Tiring but enjoyable. Yeah current affairs, chosing 5 uk and 5 international like most threads state. Planning exercises worried me as they time you and that puts me under a lot of pressure! Learning IOT week by week is a big one I heard, so that’s the main focus at the moment.

Yes oddly I enjoyed it a little too! Just glad I got the scores I was needing! And yes I’m the same, just chipping away at all the info I need to remember and hope it stays in my head!!
Reply 15
Anyone else having to possibly reschedule their date? Currently no trains north of Newcastle so I’m going to struggle coming from Edinburgh this Sunday! Will see how things are tomorrow 🤞🏻will be gutted if I need to change it!!
Original post by Wrooty
I know for sure that Mil Aid has been changed to Eagles Edge. I found this out through a friend who is due to graduate next week! It is a new and updated version of itself. I do know the feeling though! So many names and exercises to remember!

Thank you for this by the way - I mentioned the name change in my interview and I think the boarding officers were impressed.
Reply 17
Thank you for this by the way - I mentioned the name change in my interview and I think the boarding officers were impressed.

No worries! Glad I could help. What trade did you go for? Don’t suppose you could let me know when you find out the results. Want to get a recent time scale! Cheers
Th

T1

Dynamic Edge
- A day in the OASC hangar introducing leadership.

First Step
- Sleeping under a bivvi sheet in the tree line of north airfield
- Basic military skills lessons during the day, leopard crawling, reaction to effective enemy fire, fire control orders, patrolling etc.

Static Edge
- 2 days basic leadership task on north airfield sleep in the block each night

Sharp Edge
- Starts immediately after static, longer distances and more complicated leads. Sleep under bivvi sheet in the field.

T2

Eagles Edge
Scenario based leadership on a larger training area and longer leads

Vital Edge
Assessed leadership, physically arduous, performing under pressure while fatigued, longer leads, larger training area

T3

Decisive Edge
- Strategic exercise simulating Ops room and higher level decision making

I know you had your interview but for everyone’s benefit.
Original post by Wrooty
No worries! Glad I could help. What trade did you go for? Don’t suppose you could let me know when you find out the results. Want to get a recent time scale! Cheers

Pilot, I am preparing for an agonising wait. Can't believe it's been a week since day 1!

Quick Reply

Latest