The Student Room Group
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Plymouth Help!

Hi TSR peeps,

I've been studying at uni at Plymouth for quite some time, and it is my final year before graduation. I've had quite a roller-coaster ride of a time to say the least. Meeting people and making new friends at uni is apparently the best time in your life do such a thing, however from my 2 and half year experience here at the uni, it couldn't be any more opposite. I have indeed made great friends, however it has been a lot more deliberate than I'm used too.

My background is British , but I feel more of an international student when surrounded by other English peers, which has made it difficult to fit in. It has gotten to the point where I have literally cut my losses and started to invest more of my time with international students, to which my surprise has been much simpler and easy-going. It's ironic to me, as I felt in more in common with English students rather than international students. I often hear that the English have a reputation for being insular when it comes to forming social circles, however I've made English friends in the past and it's never been this difficult. Is this a Plymouth/South of England thing? or is it just my wacky assumption?
Original post by SamyBench
Hi TSR peeps,

I've been studying at uni at Plymouth for quite some time, and it is my final year before graduation. I've had quite a roller-coaster ride of a time to say the least. Meeting people and making new friends at uni is apparently the best time in your life do such a thing, however from my 2 and half year experience here at the uni, it couldn't be any more opposite. I have indeed made great friends, however it has been a lot more deliberate than I'm used too.

My background is British , but I feel more of an international student when surrounded by other English peers, which has made it difficult to fit in. It has gotten to the point where I have literally cut my losses and started to invest more of my time with international students, to which my surprise has been much simpler and easy-going. It's ironic to me, as I felt in more in common with English students rather than international students. I often hear that the English have a reputation for being insular when it comes to forming social circles, however I've made English friends in the past and it's never been this difficult. Is this a Plymouth/South of England thing? or is it just my wacky assumption?

Hi SamyBench,

I'm so sorry you've had this experience! There is a lot of hype around university and it can feel disappointing when things don't meet your expectations. I am really glad you've made great friends though! University is all about meeting new people from different cultures, so I'm really happy you've met a good mix of people. Unfortunately, I feel like this experience can be a university wide thing. I know a lot of friends across the country who have, at times, struggled with friendships, so I don't think it's limited to just this stretch of the country :smile:

- Seren, University of Plymouth Student Rep
Robotics at Plymouth University
University of Plymouth
Plymouth
Visit website

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending