The Student Room Group

Advice

Hi I’m starting a llb law degree in September and wondering if anyone can give me some tips for useful reading between now and then? I’ve been looking at a load of law books but not sure which ones to start with, just feel in limbo at the moment waiting to start and thought it might be useful to read up a bit lol. Thanks in advance
Original post by CharleneH87
Hi I’m starting a llb law degree in September and wondering if anyone can give me some tips for useful reading between now and then? I’ve been looking at a load of law books but not sure which ones to start with, just feel in limbo at the moment waiting to start and thought it might be useful to read up a bit lol. Thanks in advance

Hi!
I didn't do any reading before starting my LLB degree, and I didn't feel disadvantaged. Although I would say that knowing how your legal system works will help you in the first few weeks so you can hit the ground running.
There are some basic principles of english/scots law books out there but also have a look online as im sure there will also be useful websites meaning that you don't have to spend any money.

Hope this helps
Relax and enjoy your summer.

If you can be bothered to read the Wiki page on the English legal system, learn the history of equity and the common law, some stuff about the division of courts, and basics of criminal and contracts (actus reus, mens rea; offer/acceptance, consideration, intention to create legal relations). You don't need to spend 20 quid on a book: have fun with it. Look through the courts, click on the bios of judges and see how weird their backgrounds are. Create a web of connections that you will remember when you come to studying.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending