The Student Room Group

ESA parent and Student finance

For 3 months myself and my mum have been trying to get an answer regarding the "old style" ESA and wether she will be affected by me claiming fof student finance.

It is my aim to enter higher education but we have been told my claiming for student finance will mean the money will be considered household income and be deducted from her benefits particularly the "old style" ESA as it was means tested.

I cannot afford to make up the difference as we are both on the Autistic spectrum and I am only able to work 30 Hours a month.

For clarity I do not qualify for nor am in receipt of any benefit and my sole income is from working said 30Hrs.

For additional clarity myself and my mum have both to no avail contacted/read the following:

Gov.uk white papers
Gov UK ESA pages
Gov UK benefit pages
Gov UK student finance pages

DWP benefit enquiry line
Esa benefit line
Scope
Student finance England
Job centre plus
National careers service
National autistic society
Citizens advice bureau national
Citizens advice Bromley
Citizens advice Lewisham

Each of the above instruct to speak to the other or specify it's not possible to give advice over the phone or refuse to give concrete advice.

3 different advisers from ESA have given 3 different answers and student finance England hadn't heard of "old style " ESA. we seem to keep getting fobbed off by people just looking for an answer in Google despite being paid to know!

It's now bordering on not being able to apply this year to a course and the whole situation is infuriating.

Any help or concrete links/advice would greatly be appreciated.

Thank you for your time

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending