The Student Room Group

Is working full time and training possible?

Has anyone worked 40 hours a week and found time to train (in running and weights) 6 days a week too? I want to be good a good track athlete and I also do jujitsu once a week too. Is it possible or very difficult? I tend to need lots of sleep to say 8 or 9 hours.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by inthedark1
Has anyone worked 40 hours a week and found time to train (in running and weights) 6 days a week too? I want to be good a good track athlete and I also do jujitsu once a week too. Is it possible or very difficult? I tend to need lots of sleep to say 8 or 9 hours.

It’s definitely possible but difficult at the same time. I’m trying to fit in the gym around working 40 hour weeks and I’m finding that I have to sacrifice sleep time in order for me to be able to fit it in.
Reply 2
Original post by Coral Courage
It’s definitely possible but difficult at the same time. I’m trying to fit in the gym around working 40 hour weeks and I’m finding that I have to sacrifice sleep time in order for me to be able to fit it in.

Do you study too? Someone said to me that its easy just train in the evening but it can take an hour and a half to get home.
There's a few things you could do...

When it comes to running, go in the morning. I've done this before work and school for ages and helps to get me feeling pumped for the day. Hill sprints are excellent, also.

I was lucky in that my gym was on the way home from my stop at the train station, so popping in for a workout wasn't much of an issue. I'd be tired, but once I got in and started training, that soon went away.

Another option - and I did this, too - would be to get in, eat, chill and then train a little later. I'd do this after working 10 hour shifts at a recruitment firm. Sleep was an issue, yes, but I found that the weekends were great for catching up on that.

I understand that it may feel difficult, but the only way for it to get easier is to keep doing it until it feels odd to get in from work and just do nothing/having done nothing.

You got this.
Given that the busiest times at the gym are the after-work hours, I'd hazard a guess that most people who work 9-5 are going to the gym straight after work. That's like, an extra hour on top of your work day, then what's left of the evening is yours.
you can train but imo you won't make as much gains
Reply 6
Original post by Angry Bird

Do most people who train a lot work part time then do you think. I don't want to just live to work
Do most people who train a lot work part time then do you think. I don't want to just live to work

training a lot doesn't mean you're making gains, I know people who train 5-6 days a week and they look the same after a year. Me personally if I was working full time I wouldn't make any gains LoL thats just cos of the amount of food I need it ain't gonna happen if I'm working a 9-5. If you're organised with your time you should try and do both and see how it goes
Reply 8
training a lot doesn't mean you're making gains, I know people who train 5-6 days a week and they look the same after a year. Me personally if I was working full time I wouldn't make any gains LoL thats just cos of the amount of food I need it ain't gonna happen if I'm working a 9-5. If you're organised with your time you should try and do both and see how it goes

Out of interest how do you plan to solve this when you start work, will you cut back on your goals or try to find a way around it?
Yea. I know someone who's doing his hospital placements training to be a doctor but he's also ripped and benches 140kg
Out of interest how do you plan to solve this when you start work, will you cut back on your goals or try to find a way around it?

when I get a 9-5 i'll just try to maintain what I have
Reply 11
Hi, I work 39 hours a week and I train in the gym 5 days a week. I live home in the morning at 7:30am so I am unable to train in the morning. I get home at 5pm and I go straight to the gym and I'm there for about an hour and then I come home, shower and eat. It is possible, but not the easiet. Best of luck!

when I get a 9-5 i'll just try to maintain what I have

I gained my first ~30lbs of muscle when I was working full time. Just a case of adjusting your caloric intake to suit your needs, if that means eating more then that's what you've got to do. I only trained 3-4 days a week, though, always have done.
Classic student qualm!

Most people in my local gym and local athletics club work 40 hour weeks.

If you want the goal, you make time.
Original post by It's****ingWOODY
I gained my first ~30lbs of muscle when I was working full time. Just a case of adjusting your caloric intake to suit your needs, if that means eating more then that's what you've got to do. I only trained 3-4 days a week, though, always have done.

I guess it depends on the person. For me I need 4k calories and if I was working full time il need even more and with my apetite it would be close to impossible to eat that much food
Original post by rockrunride
Classic student qualm!

Most people in my local gym and local athletics club work 40 hour weeks.

If you want the goal, you make time.

Too true, Im used to having it easier, even as a student I struggle for time! I just like a lot of time to myself and half of my course has been spent full time on placements, when arriving home I've been tired with a headache and don't enjoy training the same.
It depends what else you have committed to.
My degree is pretty much 40 contact hours a week and I manage to train 4 to 5 times a week. I play netball once a week too. I'm in a long distance relationship so that frees up a lot of time but when my boyfriend comes around, it's harder to train regularly.
If all you're doing is working 40 hours a week and have no commitments (personal, professional etc) then there is no excuse for not training regularly!
I do 50+ hours a week depending on call rota too. I still get to the gym 2-4 times a week.

No excuses, get down the gym
It's perfcetly possible, it's just a case of prioritising. If you also want an active social life, to sit and watch TV 4 hours a night and to maintain a girlfriend then yeah... it's probably too much unless some of those thigns overlap! You just have to manage your time well, don't waste time on FB or watch garbage on TV, plan your day and schedule and then stick to it.
Reply 19
I work full time with a job that has me away overnight then getting back late fairly often plus volunteer an evening every other week. I aim for gym x3 a week and martial arts x2 a week. And then time for seeing friends, girlfriend and generally life stuff like cooking. I'm busy but it's far from impossible.

I do sometimes have to skip things, whether that's no chance to get to the gym or not going to see that film because I should go to the gym. It's not a big deal really. I need to be organised, I need a dairy and to have it on me and I plan everything I'll do in a week in advance most of the time. And thinking a few days in advance with food too if you don't want to end up eating rubbish. A lot of it is going straight to things, like tomorrow will be:

Up at 7.30
Work 9-5 (will make lunch tonight for the next three days)
Dinner at work a bit before 5 (made it yesterday)
Leave work a bit after 5
bus straight to my martial art class
walk home and get in about 9
Shower, eat, little bit TV maybe, bed by 11

Quick Reply

Latest