The Student Room Group

Confused on small things about uni

So I’m thinking about applying to uni but not 100% sure because I’ve got lots of doubts in my mind. I don’t know if it’s really worth all of the stress and at the same time I live outside of London and thinkin to apply in London. I currently have a job near where I live part time, and I was thinking of doing university in London to get more maintenance loan. I was thinking to stay on campus for the days id usually have a lecture which is 2-3 daus per week , then travel all the way back home which is an hour with train, to go to my part time job and just sleep home. I just wanted to know if that could be possible to be on campus for few days while lecture is on then go back home whej I won’t have any to go to my job? Is anyone else feeling or having the same thought and pls anyone give an advice and let me know if this could be possible etc. many thanks
You do realise you’ll actually get less maintenance loan if you live at home right?
Reply 2
Original post by jonathanemptage
You do realise you’ll actually get less maintenance loan if you live at home right?

Of course I know that I was saying for me to get a studio flat type of accommodation near my university , but when I have work I would go back home and sleep etc then when I have lectures I can just go back. I just didn’t know if that would be possible .
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous
Of course I know that I was saying for me to get a studio flat type of accommodation near my university , but when I have work I would go back home and sleep etc then when I have lectures I can just go back. I just didn’t know if that would be possible .

You get more maintenance loan for London because rent is more expensive, not because they just think you deserve it!! So then you would pay a train fair home to earn money to cover the train fair? Doesn’t seem very logical to me. You would just end up no better off financially and a lot more tired than if you’d just concentrated on uni, even if you are not doing a content heavy course.
Why not just look for another job closer to uni and make the most of the social opportunities available whilst you are there?
Reply 4
Original post by Euapp
You get more maintenance loan for London because rent is more expensive, not because they just think you deserve it!! So then you would pay a train fair home to earn money to cover the train fair? Doesn’t seem very logical to me. You would just end up no better off financially and a lot more tired than if you’d just concentrated on uni, even if you are not doing a content heavy course.
Why not just look for another job closer to uni and make the most of the social opportunities available whilst you are there?

Yeah, I mean, I was just looking for a general advice because I’ve been through a rollercoaster of thoughts as I’m not sure what to do because I’m not ready to leave home but at the same time I wouldn’t mind staying in London for the days that I would normally have lectures but then that’s just too complicated. Also does anyone know if you get more maintenance loan if you don’t live with parents but with family members a.k.a. I live with my uncle and auntie as my mum is in a different country and they have two kids of their own so it’s not like they can support me financially that much even though their annual household income is over 40,000 so online it states that I would only get about 4.5 K a year but I work and I’m trying to have my own money so do you think that I would be able to get more maintenance loan as my mother is not with me, but I live with my legal guardians so do they need to see any evidence of their income together even though they don’t support me that much financially because they’ve got kids of their own I’ve been trying to search online but I can’t get anything and I can’t contact anyone about this.
So I’m thinking about applying to uni but not 100% sure because I’ve got lots of doubts in my mind. I don’t know if it’s really worth all of the stress and at the same time I live outside of London and thinkin to apply in London. I currently have a job near where I live part time, and I was thinking of doing university in London to get more maintenance loan. I was thinking to stay on campus for the days id usually have a lecture which is 2-3 daus per week , then travel all the way back home which is an hour with train, to go to my part time job and just sleep home. I just wanted to know if that could be possible to be on campus for few days while lecture is on then go back home whej I won’t have any to go to my job? Is anyone else feeling or having the same thought and pls anyone give an advice and let me know if this could be possible etc. many thanks

Hey!
I can't help you with the loan advice but the best thing about uni is that its very flexible. You do what you choose to do. If you're at an accommodation - private or uni accom - you can enter and leave when you want.
It does sound very possible to be on campus for a few days and then go back home for the other days: Given that you take full responsibility of being up to date with your lecture notes and coursework. I vaguely remember one of my flatmates who used to live in Preston and would go back there every 3rd day of the week. Not sure if he was in a similar situation as you and had to hold down a job or he just simply wanted to be with his family more.
You would have to cover the cost of travel and entire accommodation but if that doesn't seem that tough then it seems very possible to commute back home for few days each week.

I hope this helps and best of luck for the future!
Vyomika (Lancaster University Student Ambassador)

Hey there,
Glad to hear you're thinking about going to Uni. Yes, It is definitely possible in regards to your question but it's going to be really stressful and draining and I do not recommend that at all except if you're okay doing that. To give more info, even if you get more maintenance loan if you study in London, you'll still have to pay higher fees and even if you'd go home when you don't have lectures, you'll still have to pay in full for the accommodation whether you stay there everyday or somedays and the 1 hour train ride per week will still be quite some money especially if it's London transport. My advice would be check for University near where you'd stay or look for a part time job in London to make things easier for you. Don't forget that the stress might also be distracting you from focusing fully on your studies because there might just be a problem like trains going on strike, so definitely check all the factors before making your decision. Hope this helps!

Benedicta,
Digital Ambassador-UoS

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending