The Student Room Group

A-level student - fire away w/questions

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Fazzy_77
I'd rather it be more maths based than essay based but oh well.

Same, however uni's tend to like it because its a mix of using data and essay writing. Format reminds me a little like a geog paper. Have a look at some papers online. PS I struggle with English a lot but the writing part isn't too bad
Original post by Tyss
Yeah, Economics has quite a few essays but you quickly get into a routine of answering them so it isn't too bad.

Define the key word in the question
Discuss one side of the argument- diagram
Evaluate your discussion under economic assumptions you may have made
Discuss other side of argument- diagram
Evaluate your discussion on how it may not always be true in certain cases e.g. trying to reduce interest rates when they are already approximately 0.
Talk about both together and come to a final judgement

Throw some economic data and recent economic events in there and you got a almost perfect essay answer.
Personally I loved A-level Economics, did the GCSE as well, got an A* for my final grade in the subject so I was happy. Just make sure you read the news often, I found the BBC's business section to be my best friend especially with all the brexit news and discussion.
( I did the new spec last year)

Thank you! That's really helpful.
Original post by Anonymous030701
Same, however uni's tend to like it because its a mix of using data and essay writing. Format reminds me a little like a geog paper. Have a look at some papers online. PS I struggle with English a lot but the writing part isn't too bad

I'm not too bad at writing (unless it's creative writing) but I'm just too lazy and prefer calculations.
Original post by Fazzy_77
I'm not too bad at writing (unless it's creative writing) but I'm just too lazy and prefer calculations.

:h: same here
Hi guys, I am making this because I think it would be helpful if you had advice from someone in their first yr of sixth form who did their gcses last year. I wish I had a forum like this where I could ask just a normal student for advice so I have made one for you guys. Whether its GCSE questions/advice or a-level I am happy to answer. I am currently taking Maths, Physics and Economics at a-level.
My results last year were fairly average ; six C's/5's (geography, French, computing and two 5's in eng lan + lit), four B's (Science core, science additional, RE and drama), and then a 7 in maths.

Fire away and ask any advice - I AM COMPLETELY HONEST

btw this is a copy of my last thread as I had loads of pm's of people telling me they couldn't comment

How is a-level maths, I choose it for the sixth forms I applied, just hoping it won't be something I would regret, do you think a level maths really is needed for physics, I've heard or been told from a lot of teacher including in open evening that you need a level maths for it, and there's a lot of hard maths in a level physics, however a tutor I have for maths said that a-level maths isn't essential to physics at a-level but will be further on like at uni.
Original post by Iahmed512
How is a-level maths, I choose it for the sixth forms I applied, just hoping it won't be something I would regret, do you think a level maths really is needed for physics, I've heard or been told from a lot of teacher including in open evening that you need a level maths for it, and there's a lot of hard maths in a level physics, however a tutor I have for maths said that a-level maths isn't essential to physics at a-level but will be further on like at uni.

Maths is hard and takes a lot of will power, however it is so rewarding when you understand it! My main point for a-level maths is don't take the subject unless you like it! Otherwise you won't get anywhere with it. My physics class is a class of 2 and I take a-level maths however my friend doesn't. Although the maths can be hard I don't think it makes much of a difference. Do you want to study physics at uni?
How different is maths in GCSE level to A-level ?
Maths is hard and takes a lot of will power, however it is so rewarding when you understand it! My main point for a-level maths is don't take the subject unless you like it! Otherwise you won't get anywhere with it. My physics class is a class of 2 and I take a-level maths however my friend doesn't. Although the maths can be hard I don't think it makes much of a difference. Do you want to study physics at uni?

I am liking it at the moment, and actually liking it and doing better than ever before and have improved massively compared to my previous mocks, I am actually not fully sure, because I would like to be an engineer but more on the computing/IT side so like IT engineer but I am also interested in physics and doing well in it and enjoy most of it at the moment, so I would consider doing something physics related, maybe even a combination of them would be cool but I don't know much careers that would involve them that I might enjoy or sounds interesting to me.
Original post by Amienio12
How different is maths in GCSE level to A-level ?

Right maths a-level is split into 3 sections:
Pure - includes a few of the gcse topics but obvs a lot more advanced
Stats - literally interpreting data however this is harder than it sounds
Mechanics - physics side of maths

Main difference
A-level maths takes up a lot more time and is a lot harder, it is one of the hardest a-levels for these reasons
Hi guys, I am making this because I think it would be helpful if you had advice from someone in their first yr of sixth form who did their gcses last year. I wish I had a forum like this where I could ask just a normal student for advice so I have made one for you guys. Whether its GCSE questions/advice or a-level I am happy to answer. I am currently taking Maths, Physics and Economics at a-level.
My results last year were fairly average ; six C's/5's (geography, French, computing and two 5's in eng lan + lit), four B's (Science core, science additional, RE and drama), and then a 7 in maths.

btw this is a copy of my last thread as I had loads of pm's of people telling me they couldn't comment

I am really undecided whether or not to do physics, I really enjoy it but dislike maths, although I'll be doing core maths (think its equivalent to an As level according to head of sixth form) as I need to take it for chemistry anyway, but do you think doing A-level physics without maths would be too hard? How hard are you finding physics? Thanks :smile:
Original post by Lydia.Mx
I am really undecided whether or not to do physics, I really enjoy it but dislike maths, although I'll be doing core maths (think its equivalent to an As level according to head of sixth form) as I need to take it for chemistry anyway, but do you think doing A-level physics without maths would be too hard? How hard are you finding physics? Thanks :smile:

GCSE is very different from a-level, its 200x harder. If you like physics then go for it, don't let maths put you off especially if you are doing core. May I ask what grades you would like to get in your a-levels at the end before giving further advice? (CCC,BBB,ABA?)
GCSE is very different from a-level, its 200x harder. If you like physics then go for it, don't let maths put you off especially if you are doing core. May I ask what grades you would like to get in your a-levels at the end before giving further advice? (CCC,BBB,ABA?)

I don't know about a level grades I am aiming for myself, I did hear from a teacher how hard a level really is. I knew it was really hard and a lot harder than gcse like a lot of people do but I didn't realise that it was that hard. I heard that very few people compared to gcse get A grades and that a grade D or E is a pass and then it is a fail or ungraded, also that with an A* even if you got 90% it might not be an A* because a few people in the country might have got higher, they do this at gcse slightly but nothing like A-level.

I'm not being put off by doing physics because of maths, I just want to know if maths is actually a requirement. I do still like maths but I am worried about it in terms of struggling and not doing well, compared to physics for example l, with physics I know it is hard but I think I would be able to manage, and with maths that I might regret it, for one of the sixth forms I applied you have to take maths to at least the first year for physics.

Okay, yeah I think that's what's putting me off it at the moment as it just seems like it's going to be so hard! Umm well to be honest, I haven't really even thought about it - I guess I'll strive to get the best grades possible but I don't exactly know what I want to do at uni/what uni I want to go to or anything like that so at the moment there's no requirement/aim that I need but to get the best grades that I can at the end. Thank you!
Okay, yeah I think that's what's putting me off it at the moment as it just seems like it's going to be so hard! Umm well to be honest, I haven't really even thought about it - I guess I'll strive to get the best grades possible but I don't exactly know what I want to do at uni/what uni I want to go to or anything like that so at the moment there's no requirement/aim that I need but to get the best grades that I can at the end. Thank you!

Every a level subjects will be really hard, so you would struggle even more if you don't do as well for gcse and that's one of the reasons subjects have entry requirements, I Don't know about anything in detail since I'm in year 11 myself.
Original post by Iahmed512
I am liking it at the moment, and actually liking it and doing better than ever before and have improved massively compared to my previous mocks, I am actually not fully sure, because I would like to be an engineer but more on the computing/IT side so like IT engineer but I am also interested in physics and doing well in it and enjoy most of it at the moment, so I would consider doing something physics related, maybe even a combination of them would be cool but I don't know much careers that would involve them that I might enjoy or sounds interesting to me.

I am not going to lie, they are the hardest a-levels, however having maths or physics open a huge range of doors for all different careers!

Maths isn't a requirement it is just one that people tend to do alongside. I know a lot of people who haven't done maths with physics and they are fine. If you get an A* at gcse at put in the same work you did to get that a-level then you would probably come out with a C - thats how hard and demanding it is. If you are taking physics then really you need to except that you may not get an A/A* and could be potentially looking at a B/C/D grade, I am not saying you can't get an A I am just pointing out the difficulty and the effort it requires. If you want to go to a Russel group uni and an A grade I would potentially loom at another A-level. I think physics is definitely harder than maths
I know you've already answered about maths, but I was wondering, do you personally enjoy it?
Also do you have any friends doing psychology? If so, how are they finding it?
Original post by laurawatt
I know you've already answered about maths, but I was wondering, do you personally enjoy it?
Also do you have any friends doing psychology? If so, how are they finding it?

Yes, even though it is a challenge I feel like maths is highly rewarding and it feels great when you get it! I do have friends doing psychology, really its a mixed review, some people love it and admit its hard others hate it because it is false adverting with the a-level and when colleges describe it it sounds interesting and fairly simple however it really isn't. Personally before you choose a-levels look at their content and past papers, its the only way you can find out the truth about an a-level.
I am not going to lie, they are the hardest a-levels, however having maths or physics open a huge range of doors for all different careers!

Other people have also mentioned that too about them being probably the hardest a-levels, and that it will be a struggle doing 4 a levels like these, but I think they all go together or link together well and are good in terms of keeping career options open to because I still have an idea of what to do but am open to other careers or similar ones.
All of them require some maths so I need to at least be good at gcse maths, and the entry requirement for them say about getting at least 6 in maths or a 7.

Hi I’m interested in doing economics but I’ve looked on college websites and can’t really find much out what it involves, also what do you think about sociology, psychology and law?
Thank you!!

Quick Reply

Latest