The Student Room Group

Do Exam Boards Take Situations Into Consideration?

Hi all, I have a question!.

I am on several medications for tourettes sydrome, anxiety, OCD and depression. This, along with the disabilities themselves, makes revision hard. Don't get me wrong I work me absoloute butt off and most days do one to two hours of revision everyday (I'm only just sitting my first set of mocks in year 10). So, I was wondering if the people marking take situations like this into consideration. I usually get a grade 5 in most of the tests we do in class, but with my mental health anyway, I am anxious incase my tics or OCD happen to be bad on the exam and that's the reason why I end up failing.

So, if anyone knows the answer to my question, or has gotten through their exams with similar problems, any reassurance will be massively appriciated.
Not an expert on this, but I don't think exam boards have any leniency on grades for any situation except for administration issues such as errors in exam papers. For learning disabilities like dyslexia you can get extra time, but your overall grade won't be determined separately to other students. What you can do, however, (if you were requiring for example certain grades to enter a sixth form college or for when you're applying for uni) is to tell whatever institute you're applying to about your "exceptional circumstances." This might involve filling in a form or proving how your conditions have affected your performance.
Original post by BlueDaNoob
Not an expert on this, but I don't think exam boards have any leniency on grades for any situation except for administration issues such as errors in exam papers. For learning disabilities like dyslexia you can get extra time, but your overall grade won't be determined separately to other students. What you can do, however, (if you were requiring for example certain grades to enter a sixth form college or for when you're applying for uni) is to tell whatever institute you're applying to about your "exceptional circumstances." This might involve filling in a form or proving how your conditions have affected your performance.

That makes sense. I only asked because I just came across a BBC article on it, however it was from 2004, so it most likely would have changed. I do get extra time and get to sit the exams in a separate room which is helpful to an extent. I guess I can only do my best in the circumstances, and i will definitely contact me preferred collage about my circumstances.

Quick Reply

Latest