The Student Room Group

AQA A-Level Geography- Anyone else finding it hard?

Just wondered if anyone else is finding the course difficult? We have teachers, one for human and one for physical- last year neither of the teachers were brilliant and this year one of them is a bit better but the physical side isn’t really being taught brilliantly, the teacher even said it’s more about what we do at home than in class, content just gets skimmed over.

I currently study from both the official textbook and the CPG revision guide, but can anyone recommend any other good resources? I feel like I don’t have enough detail from these alone.

Does anyone also have any exam technique tips? I find the questions so vague- in my psychology exams I know exactly how to approach each question, but geography seems so broad and I never really understand how to answer them correctly to get top marks. If anyone is successful at questions or has a good teacher that has given tips on how to answer questions I’d really appreciate that! E.g. how to structure 6 markers, 9 markers and 20 markers?

If not can anyone give me some reassurance I’m not the only one who feels like this, I’m quite worried! Thank you!

Scroll to see replies

Sorry you've not had any responses about this. :frown: Are you sure you've posted in the right place? :smile: Here's a link to our subject forum which should help get you more responses if you post there. :redface:
Yeah, geography is a lot broader than psychology. My physical geography teacher is really good, however, last year (yr 12) my human geography was absolutely rubbish. But we got a new human geography teacher who is really good. I also do psychology :smile:

Here are some tips - (I do AQA geography):

The latest AQA Geography textbooks are really useful -
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geography-Level-Human-Student-Book/dp/019836654X

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geography-Level-Physical-Student-Book/dp/0198366515/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VWVA26SS4KHFY5CAAFS7

Physical:
- sadly, it's mainly about what you do at home ;(
- make essay plans!!!
- it's all about memorising the textbook

Human:
- if you want higher than a B, you need to read and make notes on articles on your free time - then add these to your 20 markers
- make loads of essay plans!!!

You can message me, and I can send you some essay plans and structures that my teachers made. They're really useful got 18/20 marks in my last 20 marker, and I'm absolutely terrible at writing, lol.

Original post by mjb633
Just wondered if anyone else is finding the course difficult? We have teachers, one for human and one for physical- last year neither of the teachers were brilliant and this year one of them is a bit better but the physical side isn’t really being taught brilliantly, the teacher even said it’s more about what we do at home than in class, content just gets skimmed over.

I currently study from both the official textbook and the CPG revision guide, but can anyone recommend any other good resources? I feel like I don’t have enough detail from these alone.

Does anyone also have any exam technique tips? I find the questions so vague- in my psychology exams I know exactly how to approach each question, but geography seems so broad and I never really understand how to answer them correctly to get top marks. If anyone is successful at questions or has a good teacher that has given tips on how to answer questions I’d really appreciate that! E.g. how to structure 6 markers, 9 markers and 20 markers?

If not can anyone give me some reassurance I’m not the only one who feels like this, I’m quite worried! Thank you!
Reply 3
Original post by Kpopgyal
Yeah, geography is a lot broader than psychology. My physical geography teacher is really good, however, last year (yr 12) my human geography was absolutely rubbish. But we got a new human geography teacher who is really good. I also do psychology :smile:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Geography-Level-Physical-Student-Book/dp/0198366515/ref=pd_lpo_sbs_14_img_0?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=VWVA26SS4KHFY5CAAFS7

Physical:
- make essay plans!!!

Human:
- if you want higher than a B, you need to read and make notes on articles on your free time - then add these to your 20 markers

You can message me, and I can send you some essay plans and structures that my teachers made. They're really useful got 18/20 marks in my last 20 marker, and I'm absolutely terrible at writing, lol.

Thank you so so much for this!!!! I never would have known to read and make notes on artices for human, and I hadn’t really been told about doing essay plans, that’s so helpful thank you!!!

That’s so kind of you to let me see some of your essay plans! Thank you, I’ll message you now.

Thanks again!
Geography is very broad. With psych you have set evaluation points you need to memorise..
But how do I evaluate the tectonic theory?! It’s hard!
Highest I’ve ever gotten was a 16... which is a bit saddening as I easily score 16/16 on my psych essays..
The best thing to do really is Male essay plans from mark schemes and memorise the eval points from there.
Take random graphs of the internet and analyse them
Reply 5
Original post by susielovesblue
Geography is very broad. With psych you have set evaluation points you need to memorise..
But how do I evaluate the tectonic theory?! It’s hard!
Highest I’ve ever gotten was a 16... which is a bit saddening as I easily score 16/16 on my psych essays..
The best thing to do really is Male essay plans from mark schemes and memorise the eval points from there.
Take random graphs of the internet and analyse them

Thank you for the advice!! I agree Psychology is so much clearer in comparison!
Original post by skatergal99

6 markers usually follow a figure so best structure would be to find three things relevant to the figure and develop your point. If there are multiple figures you need to use data from all of them - be balanced. If its data rather than a photo, I would recommend seeing if there's an overall trend and there usually is an anomaly - suggest a reason for these trends/anomalies to develop your point (especially if the question says 'analyse,'explain' or 'evaluate').

9 markers usually require you to recall knowledge as well as to evaluate. Its likely 9 markers are more likely to prompt comparisons - make sure you keep your points balanced and always end with a conclusion otherwise you will lose marks.
Reply 7
Original post by deadlyninja123
6 markers usually follow a figure so best structure would be to find three things relevant to the figure and develop your point. If there are multiple figures you need to use data from all of them - be balanced. If its data rather than a photo, I would recommend seeing if there's an overall trend and there usually is an anomaly - suggest a reason for these trends/anomalies to develop your point (especially if the question says 'analyse,'explain' or 'evaluate':wink:.

9 markers usually require you to recall knowledge as well as to evaluate. Its likely 9 markers are more likely to prompt comparisons - make sure you keep your points balanced and always end with a conclusion otherwise you will lose marks.

Thank you so much!! This is really helpful to know!
Original post by skatergal99
Thank you so much!! This is really helpful to know!

no problem. Its useful to create a structure for 20 markers too. Define all the key terms from the question in your introduction to show the examiner you know what you're talking about. Then aim for 4 paragraphs for each point you have - always give examples, explain processes if you need. The exam board are mad on sense of place so link topics too, give named locations, be specific as possible. I was told the number of lines available should be enough to win all the marks but if you know something and its relevant bop it right in. That being said try not to go on a tangent. Always always link back to the question when you can, especially in the conclusion.
I think you can get away with fewer facts in the human paper, so its easier to 'waffle' and get marks on less knowledge than physical, probably cause it's more to do with common sense.
Reply 9
Original post by deadlyninja123
no problem. Its useful to create a structure for 20 markers too. Define all the key terms from the question in your introduction to show the examiner you know what you're talking about. Then aim for 4 paragraphs for each point you have - always give examples, explain processes if you need. The exam board are mad on sense of place so link topics too, give named locations, be specific as possible. I was told the number of lines available should be enough to win all the marks but if you know something and its relevant bop it right in. That being said try not to go on a tangent. Always always link back to the question when you can, especially in the conclusion.
I think you can get away with fewer facts in the human paper, so its easier to 'waffle' and get marks on less knowledge than physical, probably cause it's more to do with common sense.

This has honestly been so helpful! So much more informative than what my teacher tells me!!
Reply 10
Try asking your teachers about the webinars AQA are putting on for schools about how to answe each type of question. They aren’t cheap, but it’ll be useful to know how to structure your answers and what they’re actually looking for. My school are having them on 18/4/18 (paper 1) and 23/4/18 (paper 2). I can post my notes if you want?
Original post by RT24601
Try asking your teachers about the webinars AQA are putting on for schools about how to answe each type of question. They aren’t cheap, but it’ll be useful to know how to structure your answers and what they’re actually looking for. My school are having them on 18/4/18 (paper 1) and 23/4/18 (paper 2). I can post my notes if you want?

Ooh actually my school have offered this already and I’ve paid for them. You’re right they should be very helpful. Thank you!
Original post by Kpopgyal

Physical:
- make essay plans!!!

Human:

Hiya can you send me the essay plans as well if that's possible :smile:
Original post by username3058068

Physical:
- make essay plans!!!

Human:

Are you able to send this structure to me also. It says that you have restricted private messages to your account.
Original post by omgitshamzarais

Are you able to send this structure to me also. It says that you have restricted private messages to your account.

I found this too, I can’t reply to their message to me☹️
Hiya, I’m new with thus app so I’m not too sure how to message you myself but if you could also send me some essay structures for 20 markers I would be very appreciative! No one in my class can seem to get past 10/20 it’s very worrying as my exams are literally 2 months away!! Thanks in advance

Physical:
- make essay plans!!!

Human:

Hey, would it be possible for you to send those plans to me as well.
Thanks in advance
Does anyone know where I can’t get a range of made up individual past paper questions other than from the past papers and attempting questions from the textbook as I have used them all up
Original post by donnell99
Does anyone know where I can’t get a range of made up individual past paper questions other than from the past papers and attempting questions from the textbook as I have used them all up

Hodder make revision resources with exam style questions
Reply 19

Physical:
- make essay plans!!!

Human:

Hi! would you be able to send me these essay plans please? im struggling myself and this would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending