The Student Room Group

Help : how does Derren Brown do this trick?

https://youtu.be/8SCLQIgLS3I?t=136

It starts from here but it's quite long so basically James is asked to think of a random place/person/object and told to change his mind a few times. In the end Derren correctly guesses that James was thinking of "Sydney" and also tells James that he changed his mind from "match", which was correct (other irrelevant stuff also happens throughout the trick but it's worth watching to see if I've missed anything important). I've never seen any magician do a trick like this - normally these kinds of tricks involve drawing or writing something down and you can always guess a way for the magician to have "cheated".

For people who think it's done by planting the idea into James' head, remember that Derren has to be 100% confident that the trick will work. How can this be guaranteed if the subject is asked to change their mind a few times? Maybe hypnotism is used before the show but doesn't the subject have to be suggestable for this to work?

This is one of the few tricks that baffles me. Please help :frown:
It's probably scripted.
Reply 2
Original post by Snufkin
It's probably scripted.

But I've seen him do the same trick on stage and on TV. Too many people would need to be in on it.
Original post by Notnek
But I've seen him do the same trick on stage and on TV. Too many people would need to be in on it.

Didn't he use a fake audience for one of his TV shows? I don't believe anything this guy does tbh.
Reply 4
Original post by Snufkin
Didn't he use a fake audience for one of his TV shows? I don't believe anything this guy does tbh.

I don't remember that and can't find any confirmation on Google. Everything he does is a trick so you can't really believe anything he says.

But I doubt he ever uses stooges. That would be too risky and anyway the vast majority of his tricks have simple explanations that don't require stooges. This is the only one that confuses me.
Derren told Corden what to think of, off camera then says the whole thing.
Original post by Snufkin

I think a lot of it is real, and a lot of it is fake. Don't underestimate the power of conformity. Just watch a stand-up comedian - it sounds like the audiences are told to laugh at mediocre jokes, yet if you go there in person it seems really natural.

I can't get myself to believe his "trick" to making people fall asleep instantly, I think his 'end of the world' thing was fake. But there are enough Brexiteers susceptible to his kind of psychological manipulation.
Reply 7
Original post by AngeryPenguin

I can't get myself to believe his "trick" to making people fall asleep instantly, I think his 'end of the world' thing was fake. But there are enough Brexiteers susceptible to his kind of psychological manipulation.

I think for those kinds of things he hypnotises the subject beforehand. For an edited TV show this can be done behind the scenes and he can make it so the subject doesn’t remember that they were hypnotised.

I don’t believe he ever uses stooges though. If one of them let’s something slip then his career is ruined.
Original post by Notnek
https://youtu.be/8SCLQIgLS3I?t=136

It starts from here but it's quite long so basically James is asked to think of a random place/person/object and told to change his mind a few times. In the end Derren correctly guesses that James was thinking of "Sydney" and also tells James that he changed his mind from "match", which was correct (other irrelevant stuff also happens throughout the trick but it's worth watching to see if I've missed anything important). I've never seen any magician do a trick like this - normally these kinds of tricks involve drawing or writing something down and you can always guess a way for the magician to have "cheated".

For people who think it's done by planting the idea into James' head, remember that Derren has to be 100% confident that the trick will work. How can this be guaranteed if the subject is asked to change their mind a few times? Maybe hypnotism is used before the show but doesn't the subject have to be suggestable for this to work?

This is one of the few tricks that baffles me. Please help :frown:

I'm always intrigued at how magicians manage to do tricks like this, given that the subject can both pick anything, and then are encouraged to change their mind. Even if they were able to do research beforehand on events/locations/people/objects that are significant to the subject, it wouldn't enable the magician to be 100% confident of any answer he chose.

What I always keep in mind is that everything (apart from the subject... usually) is choreographed. Every movement, every instruction has a purpose, even if some actions are only there to distract the audience/subject. Derren gives himself away by being too pedantic about certain points, and that makes it feel like it's included for performance value rather than as a genuine warning or instruction.
Reply 9
I can't say for certain but I have watched a lot of Derren Brown over the years and the guy is compelling to watch whether you actually believe any of it's real or not. However in tricks like this 1 the magicians usually use a method known as "forced choice" basically there is only 1 true thing that the "subject" could ever choose. In the case of Derren Brown he is more of a performance psychologist than anything and he really understands people. In a lot of his tricks such as this he spends time looking for "suggestible people", people that he can easily manipulate then he spends a lot of time following them around and subliminally planting images days or weeks before the show. It obviously is not 100% guarenteed to work so he chooses multiple subjects and I guess just by the rules of probability it does work on some and these are the ones you get to watch when the show goes out, Alot of what I just explained is actually from Derren Brown's own admissions.

There are a lot of Derren Brown's episodes on Channel4Player where you can see some of his admissions first hand.

Quick Reply

Latest