The Student Room Group

Going Abroad After Degree?

Hi Guys,
Currently have an offer to study Medicine at Kings. But I was looking at the current pay for Junior Doctors and well Doctors in general. I knew beforehand that the pay wasnt great, but was wondering if you moved abroad, say Dubai or America, you would be paid CONSIDERABLY more? How would this process go?
Thanks.
focus on getting your grades first. but don't bother if you're doing medicine for the money.
Original post by People's Guy
Hi Guys,
Currently have an offer to study Medicine at Kings. But I was looking at the current pay for Junior Doctors and well Doctors in general. I knew beforehand that the pay wasnt great, but was wondering if you moved abroad, say Dubai or America, you would be paid CONSIDERABLY more? How would this process go?
Thanks.

Practicing medicine in a foreign country can be difficult due to differing licensing boards. If you wanted to go America from being a UK doctor you'd have to USMLE (United States Medical Licensing Exam) Step 1 and Step 2.

More information can be found here but I wouldn't worry about practicing in a different country until 4-5th year.
Slightly disagree with the above - the USMLE is much easier done alongside your medical degree as it has a lot of basic science stuff that you don't touch on in the later years. Although i don't know the best time to actually sit the different parts of the USMLE, i would be well informed and have everything planned in good time.

It isn't as easy as that though - as a foreign graduate you will not be able to get the best jobs, most likely ending up somewhere rural and unpopular. Obviously there are also significant inherent problems in US healthcare and that can be challenging to deal with. But yes, the pay can be considerably more.

I am not aware of people who have moved to dubai for training. After consultancy though, yes you can earn loads. Same for rural parts of Australia and New Zealand and some other places.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending