The Student Room Group

mental breakdowns about uni

So I have already firmed my offer for UCL excpet I'm questioning whether I should go through clearing or i go to my insurance choice. See I really want to do a year abroad and it doesn't say much about my course having the option despite it being a really flexible course, creative arts and humanities BA, but I'm not sure if its because the course is only a year old and the students aren't at the age of going to do a year abroad.

I have 3 options, suck it up and go UCL because it has prestigue but uncertain about the year abroad.

Switch course within UCL for one that has a year abropad but I'm not sure if it will be accepted

Go to my insurabce choice at Queen Mary because my course has a year abroad but I heard it's harder to make friends and I like to talk

Or go through clearing to another uni where my course is and they do a year abroad even if accomodation is uncertain.

PLEASE GIVE ME ADVICE IM STRESSING OUT.
I think the most important thing here is to find out for sure whether the course at UCL has the option to do a Year Abroad. There is an email right at the bottom of the page for the course at UCL - I'd suggest emailing them and asking if you would be able to apply to study abroad as part of this degree, because then you will know for definite.

I can't comment on Queen Mary's not being social, as I haven't studied there, but I would be wary of generalising about things like this. You will find quiet people and more talkative people at every university.
Original post by cleorrrr
So I have already firmed my offer for UCL excpet I'm questioning whether I should go through clearing or i go to my insurance choice. See I really want to do a year abroad and it doesn't say much about my course having the option despite it being a really flexible course, creative arts and humanities BA, but I'm not sure if its because the course is only a year old and the students aren't at the age of going to do a year abroad.
I have 3 options, suck it up and go UCL because it has prestigue but uncertain about the year abroad.
Switch course within UCL for one that has a year abropad but I'm not sure if it will be accepted
Go to my insurabce choice at Queen Mary because my course has a year abroad but I heard it's harder to make friends and I like to talk
Or go through clearing to another uni where my course is and they do a year abroad even if accomodation is uncertain.
did you apply for a year abroad course? perhaps you could email them saying you could switch course if there is a year abroad available!!

i am also planning to go to ucl so good luck x
Reply 3
Original post by Anonymous #1
I think the most important thing here is to find out for sure whether the course at UCL has the option to do a Year Abroad. There is an email right at the bottom of the page for the course at UCL - I'd suggest emailing them and asking if you would be able to apply to study abroad as part of this degree, because then you will know for definite.
I can't comment on Queen Mary's not being social, as I haven't studied there, but I would be wary of generalising about things like this. You will find quiet people and more talkative people at every university.
Uhuh I emailed them and so I'm waiting for their reply, thank you babe for the advise
Reply 4
Original post by emm4nuella
did you apply for a year abroad course? perhaps you could email them saying you could switch course if there is a year abroad available!!
i am also planning to go to ucl so good luck x
So my course is really new, as in only one year is there atm so there's no option (as of yet idk) for a year abroad. And with switch course I'd probably switch to English but they don't have it either so maybe comparative literature but I'm not sure on the course. Also what year are you gonna go UCL and what course? If its this year let's be friends <3
So my course is really new, as in only one year is there atm so there's no option (as of yet idk) for a year abroad. And with switch course I'd probably switch to English but they don't have it either so maybe comparative literature but I'm not sure on the course. Also what year are you gonna go UCL and what course? If its this year let's be friends <3
yes this year
Reply 6
Original post by emm4nuella
yes this year
Ooooo what courseee
Ooooo what courseee
linguistics
Unless you want to work within law or investment banking then no employer is going to give a **** if you studied at UCL.
Reply 9
Original post by random_matt
Unless you want to work within law or investment banking then no employer is going to give a **** if you studied at UCL.
Oh it's not like workwise it's more so for myself because I've been at low performing state schools and want to have some prestige to kinda prove to myself in a way. Idk
Reply 10
Someone from UCL here
One thing ive learned is that if you go to a uni with the presupposition that it will be difficult to make friends, you will subsconsciously make it difficult for yourself to make friends.
UCL is very international so there may be more variety between you and many students. As for queen mary's im no sure where you got the idea that it is unfriendly from.

As for the year abroad, its much more difficult to get onto a year abroad programme if its not what you applied for immediately through UCAS. the spaces tend to be full by the first day of your programme. As someone on this threat said, email UCL. But I would definitely think about whether it is worth dropping UCL for a year abroad- with a strong degree you can problably attain a career to travel after uni (not to say QMUL is bad at all), and usually higher rep unis have more funding, opportunities and people who can help you travel.

dont stress about it but dont leave it till last minute :smile:
Reply 11
Original post by Aakha
Someone from UCL here
One thing ive learned is that if you go to a uni with the presupposition that it will be difficult to make friends, you will subsconsciously make it difficult for yourself to make friends.
UCL is very international so there may be more variety between you and many students. As for queen mary's im no sure where you got the idea that it is unfriendly from.
As for the year abroad, its much more difficult to get onto a year abroad programme if its not what you applied for immediately through UCAS. the spaces tend to be full by the first day of your programme. As someone on this threat said, email UCL. But I would definitely think about whether it is worth dropping UCL for a year abroad- with a strong degree you can problably attain a career to travel after uni (not to say QMUL is bad at all), and usually higher rep unis have more funding, opportunities and people who can help you travel.
dont stress about it but dont leave it till last minute :smile:
Yeahhhh I get what you're saying, I have friends who go to queen mary and cause most of the people go there commute it's a little lonely later on in the day. I am a people's person and I will probably wither away without attention.

The part to do with my course and not applying to do a year abroad is a little different. My course did not have an option to, I don't know if it's full impossible or its because the course is so new and while year abroad is done in the third year, the people in my new course are in the first. My question is, can it really not be dine or is there just no information on it because its not the right time yet. I've emailed them now all I have to do is wait.

I'm trying not to stress but oh well.

P.s how are you liking UCL as a whole.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending