The Student Room Group

[1] Room 101 - Slurping Drinks

Poll

Should Slurping be locked in Room 101?

If you are confused as to what this is, see this post:
https://www.thestudentroom.co.uk/showthread.php?t=5244152&p=76536106#post76536106

Koalifications: For the first Room 101 debate, I propose that we put slurping into Room 101. I hate slurping, and I really mean hate. The sound of someone slurping a drink really gets to me, and I don't know why. One of my family members often drinks tea, but every sip is taken with an unnecessarily loud slurping sound. Whilst this idea might sound over the top and a first-world problem, wouldn't it just be better to get rid of slurping once and for all? Slurping through a straw, however, is not so bad, because it often cannot be helped, but slurping drinks like tea, water or coffee for no real reason is horrible - especially when the person refuses to stop.

[video="youtube;WCw1js7O8zU"]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCw1js7O8zU[/video]

See that video? Doesn't that just grind your gears...?

Now you can vote. Comment your opinions, backing them up with science, religion, facts, and whatever else, and we will see whether slurping drinks will be locked into Room 101 forever.

Taglist

Spoiler

(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

It's only annoying when you tune in to it, itherwise if you're having a really enjoyable conversation, it doesn't even register. There's some satisfaction to be had when you slurp sometimes :tongue:
Yeah, there may be some satisfaction for the person doing it, but for everyone else, it can be really annoying. You're right, it's only annoying when you tune into it, but if you tune into it, it is very difficult to tune out. I guess it's kind of like the (although less exaggerated) debate of whether the principle of majority rule should outweigh the principle of minority rights.
ughh i hate slurping :afraid: it makes me so uncomfortable and weird :redface:
Original post by laurawatt
ughh i hate slurping :afraid: it makes me so uncomfortable and weird :redface:

Yeah, and it can be really awkward lol
It's practically impossible not to slurp if your tea/coffee has just been made, and is boiling hot.
Original post by Less(e/o)n
It's practically impossible not to slurp if your tea/coffee has just been made, and is boiling hot.

Surely you should just leave it to cool down then, instead of burning your mouth when slurping it?
Original post by Koalifications
Surely you should just leave it to cool down then, instead of burning your mouth when slurping it?

I'm impatient.
I'm impatient.

Theoretically, if someone gave you a hot cup of tea or coffee, and you were to drink it (slurping the drink), would you let it cool before drinking it to avoid slurping if a few people in the room asked you to do so? Whilst this debate is about slurping, it can also branch into whether the principle of majority rule should outweigh the principle of minority rights.

Tea tastes better boiling hot. I cannot stomach it any other way.
Yeah, there may be some satisfaction for the person doing it, but for everyone else, it can be really annoying. You're right, it's only annoying when you tune into it, but if you tune into it, it is very difficult to tune out. I guess it's kind of like the (although less exaggerated) debate of whether the principle of majority rule should outweigh the principle of minority rights.

Could you explain that please?
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 11
Theoretically, if someone gave you a hot cup of tea or coffee, and you were to drink it (slurping the drink), would you let it cool before drinking it to avoid slurping if a few people in the room asked you to do so? Whilst this debate is about slurping, it can also branch into whether the principle of majority rule should outweigh the principle of minority rights.

If my preference was that the coffee be that temperature, then they could theoretically **** right off :laugh:
Reply 12
Lets ban slurping. Lock it up in the dreaded vault beside fireworks and Ann Robinson.
Original post by starfab
Tea tastes better boiling hot. I cannot stomach it any other way.

Original post by gjd800
If my preference was that the coffee be that temperature, then they could theoretically **** right off :laugh:

I wouldn't be able to drink scorching hot tea, but it is personal preference I guess lol.

Essentially, I mean that whether a majority decision should be able to oppress a right of someone to do something. In this specific example, whether five people telling someone to stop slurping should force them to stop.
Essentially, I mean that whether a majority decision should be able to oppress a right of someone to do something. In this specific example, whether five people telling someone to stop slurping should force them to stop.

Well if it irritates someone, it can be stopped but whether the person wants to or not should be left entirely up to them. If they don't stop, those irritated are entitled to leave the room.
Let's say that you were slurping and thirty people asked you to stop - would you? Or would you tell them to leave the room?
Let's say that you were slurping and thirty people asked you to stop - would you? Or would you tell them to leave the room?

Personally, I'd stop ofc. In fact, I only do the slurpy thing when I'm alone or with people it doesn't annoy because I'm like that. But I don't agree that another person 'has' to even if it annoyed these 30 people. Sure it would be quite inconsiderate of them not to though.
Reply 17
In private, knock yourself out.
In public, it is as unacceptable as chewing with your mouth open.
The only possible defence would be the argument that introducing air into the liquid heightens the taste experience (ie. wine or tea tasters) but we all know that the people who slurp their tea couldn't tell the difference between a Ceylon and an Orange Pekoe if they were delivered in labelled mugs.
If it's too hot, let it cool first.

However, the main issue here is actually the fallacious concept of "Room 101". It is not meant to be a depository for those thing we dislike or annoy us, so that we don't have to experience them. That was not Orwell's intention, rather the opposite. It is a room where someone else puts the things we fear specifically so we must experience them.
Original post by QE2
However, the main issue here is actually the fallacious concept of "Room 101". It is not meant to be a depository for those thing we dislike or annoy us, so that we don't have to experience them. That was not Orwell's intention, rather the opposite. It is a room where someone else puts the things we fear specifically so we must experience them.

An act of contemptible depravity, or simply a means by which a person may strive for self-improvement?

I find it a fascinating concept, personally.
Reply 19
An act of contemptible depravity, or simply a means by which a person may strive for self-improvement?

I find it a fascinating concept, personally.
In the context of Orwell's original, I would suggest it is clearly the former. The idea was to break the individual and to make them betray those they love in an act of self-preservation.

Quick Reply

Latest