The Student Room Group
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool

Computer Science COMP101 or COMP105?

Hey,
Just been checking over the Computer Science modules and saw that you can either be put in COMP101(Introduction to Programming) or COMP105 (Programming Language Paradigms) depending on prior experience.

I wanted to check with anybody on the course if one was worth doing over the other? I have prior experience, but if 105 is significantly harder than 101 without any notable benefits then I'd rather stick with 101!
Hello,

Well done on getting onto the course :smile:

I didn't study computer science, but hopefully we get a reply here soon!

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep
Students in Lecture Theatre, University of Liverpool
University of Liverpool
Liverpool
Reply 2
what is your prior experience?
Reply 3
Original post by HoldThisL
what is your prior experience?

I completed the foundation year. I've been put on 101 but have covered the majority of 101 throughout the year.
Reply 4
Original post by Anonymous
I completed the foundation year. I've been put on 101 but have covered the majority of 101 throughout the year.

then your choice is easy but disinteresting, or harder but you'll get a head start when in your presumed computing career you try switching between programming paradigms
Reply 5
Original post by HoldThisL
then your choice is easy but disinteresting, or harder but you'll get a head start when in your presumed computing career you try switching between programming paradigms

Thanks for the response, yeah that makes sense. I'd rather go with the option more beneficial so I'll see if I can get transferred to 105.
Hi there,

Another factor that you might want to consider is that the first-year grades do not count towards your final classification. Therefore even if the module is harder, and you then achieve a lower grade (compared to doing the 'easier' module) then this will not affect your final classification.

Malachy - University of Liverpool Student Rep

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending