The Student Room Group

University of Westminster third year

Hello there,
I need to find out if I can do my final year project next year, I'm a third year student at the university of Westminster and I would like to know if I do my project just a project next year will I be caped? I'm so stressed I feel depressed and this has put me down and I'm at the point where I'm literally stuck. I have never retook anything before and I want to do my project next year by this means if I have to do my final year project from scratch where i'll have classes tutorials I don't mind doing that again but I just don't want it to be caped. Any help please whether I'll be caped or no. Thank you
Original post by izmat
Hello there,
I need to find out if I can do my final year project next year, I'm a third year student at the university of Westminster and I would like to know if I do my project just a project next year will I be caped? I'm so stressed I feel depressed and this has put me down and I'm at the point where I'm literally stuck. I have never retook anything before and I want to do my project next year by this means if I have to do my final year project from scratch where i'll have classes tutorials I don't mind doing that again but I just don't want it to be caped. Any help please whether I'll be caped or no. Thank you

It really depends on your uni's regulations. Have you talked to your personal tutor and do you have reasons for interrupting your studies or taking a year out? You either take the whole year out or do the whole year now. You can't really do it in bits.
Original post by izmat
Hello there,

Not enough information.
Have you handed in this years project and failed?
They normally have a meeting and tell you what your options are.
You are normally allowed to put an extenuating circumstances claim in, where they take your situation into account. Medical evidence is helpful if relevant.

If you have not handed it in and want to submit in a different year then you need to get permission and state why. If they allow you to then im they will not cap you.

If you have handed it in and failed, then it would look likely you will be recapped, but they should tell you your options. An accepted extenuating circumstances claim would allow you to be uncapped as thats within the departments discretion.

I will have a look for you, but the answer will be on their website, in the student handbook or via an SU advisor.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 3
Original post by 999tigger
Not enough information.
Have you handed in this years project and failed?
They normally have a meeting and tell you what your options are.
You are normally allowed to put an extenuating circumstances claim in, where they take your situation into account. Medical evidence is helpful if relevant.

If you have not handed it in and want to submit in a different year then you need to get permission and state why. If they allow you to then im they will not cap you.

If you have handed it in and failed, then it would look likely you will be recapped, but they should tell you your options. An accepted extenuating circumstances claim would allow you to be uncapped as thats within the departments discretion.

I will have a look for you, but the answer will be on their website, in the student handbook or via an SU advisor.

Hello there thank you so much for replying but no I haven't submitted it in its due on 30th of April but nah I haven't handed it in. I just want to do it next year in a way like extend it. I haven't failed it, nothing like that and also I have never retook anything in my 3 years of uni but now I feel like I need to, as it's too much stress for me at the moment I literary feel depressed.
OK have looked for you at what I believe are the regulations and it seems standard.
https://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=2&ved=0ahUKEwjMu7W1-ejZAhUHP5oKHbC6AekQFgg6MAE&url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.westminster.ac.uk%2Ffile%2F17006%2Fdownload%3Ftoken%3DCkKJC2xe&usg=AOvVaw09Lyw5ZJeMMrJezFBBEca9
If you have failed, then the consequences of that are on p31 and you will be capped.

You may submit a mitigating circumstances claim where the capping can be overturned by the assessment board. p67.

This would be consistent with failing any other module. You do not give sufficient information, so get it checked out and verified with your department or the advice centre (strange it doesnt mention exams). If you have good reason for failing, then put i a mitigating circumstances claim and beware of the time limits.

https://www.westminster.ac.uk/study/current-students/support-and-facilities/student-advice
Original post by izmat
Hello there thank you so much for replying but no I haven't submitted it in its due on 30th of April but nah I haven't handed it in. I just want to do it next year in a way like extend it. I haven't failed it, nothing like that and also I have never retook anything in my 3 years of uni but now I feel like I need to, as it's too much stress for me at the moment I literary feel depressed.

Ok the standard way to attempt to do this is to go and see your G and get treated for anxiety/ depression/ stress. Do the same with welfare service so you have evidence and then put in a request for a deferment or suspension of studies or an extension of time for submission. You will need to ask what the appropriate procedure is.

30th April should be enough, but if you can provide genuine medial or personal reasons then they may consider your claim. Evidence is vital.

If they are not convinced and you do not submit you will just be failed and capped anyway. Youd better get gathering evidence and decide how to make your request.
Reply 6
Original post by 999tigger
Ok the standard way to attempt to do this is to go and see your G and get treated for anxiety/ depression/ stress. Do the same with welfare service so you have evidence and then put in a request for a deferment or suspension of studies or an extension of time for submission. You will need to ask what the appropriate procedure is.

30th April should be enough, but if you can provide genuine medial or personal reasons then they may consider your claim. Evidence is vital.

If they are not convinced and you do not submit you will just be failed and capped anyway. Youd better get gathering evidence and decide how to make your request.

So I can go to my gp and get treated and ask them for a letter which describes my condition get it verified from GP and send it to university? It's weird like I wanna retake it to next year I remebr hearing that you get capped if you retake it in the summer as a referral but I wanted to do next year as a fresh start for the final year project module where I will attend my lecturers and tutorials from scratch. One of my friend did his with his uni and they accepted him doing it next year he didn't submit anything.
Original post by izmat
So I can go to my gp and get treated and ask them for a letter which describes my condition get it verified from GP and send it to university? It's weird like I wanna retake it to next year I remebr hearing that you get capped if you retake it in the summer as a referral but I wanted to do next year as a fresh start for the final year project module where I will attend my lecturers and tutorials from scratch. One of my friend did his with his uni and they accepted him doing it next year he didn't submit anything.

They are unlikely to agree. Ive linked you the procedures, so you should take time to read them or talk to the people ive suggested.

There is a procedure whereby they can consider your proposal, but unless you have good reason and they consider it so, then you are unlikely to be granted such an extension or deferral of studies imo. I do not believe they will just let you retake a module uncapped or submit a project uncapped unless you persuade them. I havent heard anything so far that lends me to believe you have a substantive case.

Get advice and read the information I have looked up for you. Prepare for them to say no and have a plan B.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending