The Student Room Group

The Crown's Queen Claire Foy paid less than co-star Matt Smith

Claire Foy, who had the lead role in the Netflix series "The Crown", was paid less than co-star Matt Smith. Despite the fact Foy won a Golden Globe for her performance, it is believed that Smith's work on Dr Who overshadowed this.

You can read the full story here.

What do yo make of this? Does it surprise you? Should they have been paid the same?
Reply 1
Well in fairness he was pretty good in the role whilst she was a bit more 'meh'
Matt Smith: Household name, very well known actor. Previously in big name series Doctor Who.

Claire Foy: Largely unknown actress. Slightly younger.

Notreally surprising
Reply 3
Original post by Danny Dorito
Despite the fact Foy won a Golden Globe for her performance, it is believed that Smith's work on Dr Who overshadowed this.

Foy's Golden globe came after.
Smith's Doctor Who fame came before.

Pay was sorted out before.

Logic.
Original post by Drewski
Foy's Golden globe came after.
Smith's Doctor Who fame came before.

Pay was sorted out before.

Logic.

Yes I get that for the first season, but she won her first Golden Globe for the role in 2017 before the second series was out and then went on to win another GG for the second season. I completely get that Matt Smith was a bigger name during the first season, but should they have maybe review her pay for the second season? Not only due to the success for the series but also as she won the Golden Globe, twice. No right or wrong, just food for thought...
Reply 5
Yes I get that for the first season, but she won her first Golden Globe for the role in 2017 before the second series was out and then went on to win another GG for the second season. I completely get that Matt Smith was a bigger name during the first season, but should they have maybe review her pay for the second season? Not only due to the success for the series but also as she won the Golden Globe, twice. No right or wrong, just food for thought...

It was a two season contract drawn up in the first place, so unlikely to happen unless driven by the actor.

And won't be an issue for 3/4 because a- they've said the actor playing the Queen will get top billing, and b-it's Olivia Colman who is a far far bigger name in the first place.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Death and Taxes
People are paid what they deserve. Women have less work ethic and natural ability than men therefore deserve to receive less.

If you believe that you are actually a total moron.
Reply 7
Original post by mojojojo101
If you believe that you are actually a total moron.

Wannabe edgelord who's been trolling all over the site, ignore.
Original post by Drewski
It was a two season contract drawn up in the first place, so unlikely to happen unless driven by the actor.

they've said the actor playing the Queen will get top billing

But Helena Bonham-Carter is playing Princess Margaret and will probably get a bigger fee for doing it.
Original post by Drewski

And won't be an issue for 3/4 because a- they've said the actor playing the Queen will get top billing, and b-it's Olivia Colman who is a far far bigger name in the first place.

Ahh fair enough, I didn't know that. TBF that makes more sense then, still it would be cool if she got a bonus or something lol. Yaaaas Olivia Colman is incredible and such a good fit!
Original post by nulli tertius
But Helena Bonham-Carter is playing Princess Margaret and will probably get a bigger fee for doing it.

They haven't confirmed that (yet), but they have said that nobody will be paid more than the Queen. So probably the same amount.
devastating news. i must lie down.
I’m sure there are perfectly logical reasons for this, but man that takes balls!
Original post by the bear
devastating news. i must lie down.

:fan::couchpotato:
Boring BBC clickbait.

Hadn't heard of her before the Crown. Had heard of him. Move along, they're fishing for a reaction, don't bite.
Matt smith is well known, claire foy was not. You draw up a contract before you know how well the series is going to go down
Claire Foy, who had the lead role in the Netflix series "The Crown", was paid less than co-star Matt Smith. Despite the fact Foy won a Golden Globe for her performance, it is believed that Smith's work on Dr Who overshadowed this.

You can read the full story here.

What do yo make of this? Does it surprise you? Should they have been paid the same?

Things like this causing controversy makes me laugh; these are two independent contracts, arranged by two different agents and agreed to by two different actors. If she was unhappy with what she was offered she could have asked for more money or walked away. For all we know they were both offered the same amount, she accepted and he asked for more.
One day, somebody is going to argue all eleven players in a football team ought to be paid the same.

Or that it is a social wound for women football players to earn less than their male counterparts. Radical egalitarianism is the fashion.

in the USSR of old, orchestra conductors were abolished after the revolution. That is true, actually.
(edited 6 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending