The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 80
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help me.

Currently studying Bsc Paramedic Practice but other than that don't have relevant scientific knowledge for part III (I.e no Chem or Biology A-Levels). Is there anyway to start from scratch or any good revision sources I can use?
TIA!
Reply 81
does anybody have gamsat section iii syllabus?

i need advice... how hard is it to revise and how long are people revising for? how do people revise for sections 1 and 2 (especially section 2... the essays?) i dont really think essay after essay will improve your grade... only timing.

PhD student in cardiovascular science (due to finish 2018). 26 years old

2019 entry.
Original post by MZI3
does anybody have gamsat section iii syllabus?

i need advice... how hard is it to revise and how long are people revising for? how do people revise for sections 1 and 2 (especially section 2... the essays?) i dont really think essay after essay will improve your grade... only timing.

PhD student in cardiovascular science (due to finish 2018). 26 years old

2019 entry.

I can pm you the syllabus I used if you want! :smile: It's pretty long to type all on here.

It's actually not that hard to revise for the Gamsat; it's more a case of sitting yourself down for 2/3 hours a day for a good 3 months I'd advise. What's hard about this exam is more the length and the stamina you must conjure up for it. In practising questions, I'd advise doing chunks of questions together under time pressured conditions following the first few weeks of revision - the point is to be able do question after question without losing concentration. Purely answering questions leisurely in your revision isn't as useful.

I got 77 in my essay section and honestly my main advice IS to do essay after essay. Read AC Grayling's essays online as they give you good lines of thought.

Other than that, do as many practice questions as you can. Contrary to belief, revision of science content is less helpful. Know the velocity, density, force etc. formulae but know more how to APPLY them (and you'll get that from doing questions) :smile:)

I hope this helps! (I'm selling some GAMSAT material i used to sit the exam in Sep 2017 if anyone is interested). It's really not crazy stressful if you control your anxiety, it just requires stamina.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by HirstRH
Hi all,

Wonder if anyone can help me.

Currently studying Bsc Paramedic Practice but other than that don't have relevant scientific knowledge for part III (I.e no Chem or Biology A-Levels). Is there anyway to start from scratch or any good revision sources I can use?
TIA!

Chemistry - work through the Leah4Sci videos (Fischer projections, chirality, enantiomers, mechanisms, acidity, kA)
Physics - Work through the electricity, waves, capacitors, nuclear fission videos. Just watch them and make a FEW notes.
Biology - Any standard A-level book.

Reflecting on my Section III revision it was most useful when I did questions. Get access to questions so you can just practice, practice, practice!
There are even gamsat videos online explaining how you get to some of the answers from the practice papers.

try and find A-level questions online and answer them timing yourself :smile:
Reply 84
Hey,

Just looking for some advice. I've been ill for the last few weeks (excellent timing) and the new meds i'm cause a lot a nausea and occassionaly vomiting. Theres not a chance in hell i'm missing the exam, spent too much of the last 3 months stressing about it. But I don't suppose anyone knows if theres some sort of protocol for illness and the exam? I feel like the invigilators are going to be very suspicious if I leave the hall every 30 minutes to throw up.

Any advice would be appreciated!
Reply 85
Original post by JLM1
Hey,

Just looking for some advice. I've been ill for the last few weeks (excellent timing) and the new meds i'm cause a lot a nausea and occassionaly vomiting. Theres not a chance in hell i'm missing the exam, spent too much of the last 3 months stressing about it. But I don't suppose anyone knows if theres some sort of protocol for illness and the exam? I feel like the invigilators are going to be very suspicious if I leave the hall every 30 minutes to throw up.

I honestly went to the toilet about 5 times during section 3 so I wouuldn't too much. However, my friend fainted during the exam and they didn't give her any mitigation. They're really quite strict on that account.
Reply 86
Original post by JLM1
Hey,

That's really crap :frown: I can feel your pain. I would advise to just go for it (as you already are) and see how it goes. Just tell the invigilator directly before the test so they know. You could then email Gamsat and tell them directly. Their policy does seem quite strict but I think it's mostly for those who take the piss a bit. This year's instructions email contains a strong emphasis on wearing layers in the test centre if it's too hot/too cold, and I think this is a big clue to what people have complained about in the previous years. In your case the situation is genuine so shouldn't be a problem in terms of potential mitigating circumstances my opinion.

Good luck and I hope you feel better soon (I know the exam nerves won't help but still) :smile:
Reply 87
Hey,

So I have another question, like a complete moron i've left my Passport in Glasgow and i'm now in Liverpool ready for the test. Do you think they'll accept my driving licence as ID even though I've put passport on my admissions ticket?

Cheers
Reply 88
Original post by JLM1
Hey,

So I have another question, like a complete moron i've left my Passport in Glasgow and i'm now in Liverpool ready for the test. Do you think they'll accept my driving licence as ID even though I've put passport on my admissions ticket?

Cheers

I'd email them immediately. They're very strict
Reply 89
Original post by daiigou
I'd email them immediately. They're very strict

I did, but I got the response that the office was shut until the 26th. Called the GAMSAT office in the UK and woman said she didn't know, which was so useful of her.
Brutal, eh?

How did everyone find it?
Reply 91
Original post by ScrubbyAlder
Brutal, eh?

How did everyone find it?

I thought section 1 & 2 were fair, but section 3 I found horrific. The practice tests didn't seem as hard as that, guessed 90% of those answers .
Reply 92
Two words

Jesus Christ.

Glad it's over though (for now)
Reply 93
Section three was just ridiculous. I went for the “let me try to guess” for 99% of the answers. I will probably resit in September 2018. Anyone wants to pm me for a group study in London ? Or is there a group I can be added to ? Currently in my second year of university and with a predicted first class for second year. But section 3 seemed Arabic to me. Even the biological questions were all math and physics based. I didn’t prepare for physics as I thought it was 20%. I was wrong. Physics is essential along with math to crack all those graph based questions.

So depressed... I am second guessing myself if I am good enough for this..
Original post by picci96
Section three was just ridiculous. I went for the “let me try to guess” for 99% of the answers. I will probably resit in September 2018. Anyone wants to pm me for a group study in London ? Or is there a group I can be added to ? Currently in my second year of university and with a predicted first class for second year. But section 3 seemed Arabic to me. Even the biological questions were all math and physics based. I didn’t prepare for physics as I thought it was 20%. I was wrong. Physics is essential along with math to crack all those graph based questions.

I'm in the same boat, friend. I dropped out of my masters to pursue medicine, and that brutal section III is threatening to throw me.

Don't forget that the GAMSAT is graded on a curve, against everyone else, and everyone else I have spoken to, and everyone in the room with me, seems depressed and downtrodden about it. I think that the grade boundaries will go WAY down for that section.

Regardless, there is still the UKCAT and the BMAT, and getting work experience for the non entrance exam unis.
Original post by ScrubbyAlder
I'm in the same boat, friend. I dropped out of my masters to pursue medicine, and that brutal section III is threatening to throw me.

Don't forget that the GAMSAT is graded on a curve, against everyone else, and everyone else I have spoken to, and everyone in the room with me, seems depressed and downtrodden about it. I think that the grade boundaries will go WAY down for that section.

Regardless, there is still the UKCAT and the BMAT, and getting work experience for the non entrance exam unis.

I can tell you definitely you only need at most 50% correct to get a 60 in the science section. I thought I had bombed it and got 59! It’s standardised so grade boundaries won’t go down, the GAMSAT works a funny way which is heavily described on the gradmed course :smile:
Reply 96
Is it gonna be the same question for September?
Original post by eilidhchambe
I can tell you definitely you only need at most 50% correct to get a 60 in the science section. I thought I had bombed it and got 59! It’s standardised so grade boundaries won’t go down, the GAMSAT works a funny way which is heavily described on the gradmed course :smile:

That's really good to hear! Thanks.

I suspect I probably got around 30% definitely right; one's I solved and got the answer probably up to about 45%. Then guess guess guess!

If I get above 55 overall, I'll be pleased to be honest. Above 60 overall would be an absolute dream.
Reply 98
Original post by picci96

All my friends who are medics have said the hardest part of medicine is getting in. Don't give up. If it were easy everyone would be a Doctor, just got to persevere!!
Reply 99
Original post by Volibear
I highly doubt it. Way too easy to cheat the system if they are.

Apparently, upto 50% of the question are repeated in the next exam, and in previous years they have taken some questions from the sample booklets. Can't remember where I read that, i think it was the acer website.

Latest

Trending

Trending