The Student Room Group

AQA GCSE 9-1 science grade boundaries

Anyone have any predictions for the aqa gcse biology, chemistry and physics papers this year?

I sat my gcse's in 2016, but i need to sit gcse science again to achieve grades AAB or ABB. So i am clueless to what these exams will be like.

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Slothqueen
Anyone have any predictions for the aqa gcse biology, chemistry and physics papers this year?

I sat my gcse's in 2016, but i need to sit gcse science again to achieve grades AAB or ABB. So i am clueless to what these exams will be like.

No idea if they were 9-1 then. I suggest you get some decent revision books for 9-1. They will likely list grade boundaries for last year in the site as well as the spec and mark schemes. Im assuming it wasnt 9-1 when you sat it?
Reply 2
No they weren’t 9-1 exams when i sat them. I’ve only sat the new 9-1 maths exam
My school got the pixel grade boundaries back and all Ik for the combined science I got 86 out 240 and I got a grade 5
Reply 4
Original post by danyy2121
My school got the pixel grade boundaries back and all Ik for the combined science I got 86 out 240 and I got a grade 5

Ah im not doing the combined science but thanks!
Triple right? By the looks of it it's gonna be hell - whilst in the older exams I believe you were given any formulae you needed, you have to memorise it all now (kill me)
Reply 6
Original post by pastel.roses
Triple right? By the looks of it it's gonna be hell - whilst in the older exams I believe you were given any formulae you needed, you have to memorise it all now (kill me)

I get given a formulae sheet? But im doing biology chemistry and physics as seperate gcse’s. As i already did my science gcse’s in 2016. I just wanted more qualifications in it
I get given a formulae sheet? But im doing biology chemistry and physics as seperate gcse’s. As i already did my science gcse’s in 2016. I just wanted more qualifications in it

Yeahhh but what I mean is that you're only given a few that (from my experience of specimen papers and past papers) rarely come up - most you have to memorise
Reply 8
My guess would be that the grade boundaries should be in line with the maths grade boundaries last year ( percentage wise), so around 75-80% should be a 9. Obviously, this isn’t a guarantee as boundaries are set once everything is marked, however it is a new spec and most of the country is doing pretty crap to be honest. Another thing is that the higher paper awards 7 Grades so content across 7 Grades must be spread across 100 Marks. This is why maths saw only around 20-25% to get a 4.
the grade boundaries will be low this year as it is a new exam
Reply 10
Original post by Shivaay
My guess would be that the grade boundaries should be in line with the maths grade boundaries last year ( percentage wise), so around 75-80% should be a 9. Obviously, this isn’t a guarantee as boundaries are set once everything is marked, however it is a new spec and most of the country is doing pretty crap to be honest. Another thing is that the higher paper awards 7 Grades so content across 7 Grades must be spread across 100 Marks. This is why maths saw only around 20-25% to get a 4.

Wow I didn’t know it was only 20-25% that got a grade 4! That’s so bad
Reply 11
Original post by Here_comedatboi
the grade boundaries will be low this year as it is a new exam

Hoping so, thank you!
Reply 12
Wow I didn’t know it was only 20-25% that got a grade 4! That’s so bad

Oh no, around 70% of students got a 4 but it was 20-25% out of 80 Marks per paper required to get a 4
Reply 13
Original post by Shivaay
Oh no, around 70% of students got a 4 but it was 20-25% out of 80 Marks per paper required to get a 4

Oh sorry, misunderstood! Hopefully its that low for the sciences so i at least have a chance of getting a grade 6 for all 3 sciences, because i haven't done gcse science for 2 years so i'm actually so nervous.
Reply 14
My physics teacher said probably around 33% for a 4
Reply 15
Original post by pastel.roses
Yeahhh but what I mean is that you're only given a few that (from my experience of specimen papers and past papers) rarely come up - most you have to memorise

oh right yeah, i gathered that
Reply 16
Original post by Xedmily

That isn't a bad percentage at all then , thanks!
This question is specific to AQA GCSE Physics, Chemistry, Biology(separate sciences)

My question is wether the exam board uses the specification to make mark schemes.

For eg. if in the spec, a predator is defined to be:-

"Consumers that hunt and kill other animals are called predators"

Will it be the exact same in the mark scheme?
Reply 18
Original post by Xedmily

Is that 33% across the 6 papers (70 marks for each paper so that would work out as 23.1 right answers on each paper for a grade 4 pass?)
I’ve heard two schools say that 35% is a 5 in physics higher tier separates which sounds good but it’s probably going to be really hard!

Quick Reply

Latest