The Student Room Group

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
Original post by Smack
It's difficult to compare A-levels with highers. AAA at AH is equivalent to A*A*A* on the basis that one cannot go higher than an A at AH and an A* at A-level. AH is meant to be roughly equivalent to a full A-level, although I would imagine A-levels are more in depth as Scottish students typically study more highers, in a wider range of subjects, then A-level ones do. Highers might be more similar to the IB than A-levels in this regard.

It's also worth noting that a lot of Scottish schools do not (or did not when I was still in school) have particularly good provision for AHs. This was likely because Scottish degrees are designed to begin from where highers finish, making AHs somewhat superfluous unless you wanted to go straight into second year (AHs are roughly equal to first year at Scottish universities) or an English university. In terms of grades, I do recall seeing statistics that something like 3-4 times as many A-level students achieved AAA (this was before the A* was introduced) than higher students achieved AAAAA. This wasn't always particularly well understood south of the border, as I remember seeing situations where mid-level English universities were asking for the same AH grades as Cambridge (who were probably much more aware of the Scottish education system).

I'm not particularly clued up on how the funding system works at Scottish universities, but my understanding is that is funding is provided for a number of places for Scottish students, and that there is separate funding for rUK places, meaning that they are not competing for places. Therefore, some Scottish universities that are not particularly popular with A-level applicants have entry requirements which are probably less difficult to achieve than for a applicant with highers - and possibly the vice versa too.

It's worth noting that Scottish applicants with AHs generally have a much lower success rate applying to Cambridge than any other UK region/country.

Posted from TSR Mobile
My uncle got an offer for 3D's from Oxford in the 80s
Reply 62
Original post by princesshan
My uncle got an offer for 3D's from Oxford in the 80s

Because he did well in the entrance exam.
Reply 63
I think you are misreading the data. I've charted it:

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 23.31.57.jpg

Independent schools have been consistently ahead of Comps. With selective schools (i.e. grammars) close to the private schools. Not much growth at all from the maintained sector :frown:
Oxford was that easy to get in back then? Ah now I get it why so many of our dumb politicians managed to go to Oxford, they never were clever
Reply 65
Yes, and I just realised I misunderstood your comprehesives comment - I thought you meant the comps were nearly as good as private schools in the '90s. Yeah they weren't, and the gap has widened indeed. So all the chat about grade inflation is actually almost entirely driven from pupils at private/selective schools. Interesting... and not something I'd been aware of previously :yy:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 66
Original post by The RAR
Oxford was that easy to get in back then? Ah now I get it why so many of our dumb politicians managed to go to Oxford, they never were clever

Nope, that's definitely not what all this means. Oxbridge students were still *relatively* the most academic (on average).
Original post by Doonesbury
Yes, and I just realised I misunderstood your comps comment - I thought you meant the comps were nearly as good as private schools in the '90s. Yeah they weren't, and the gap has widened indeed. So all the chat about grade inflation is actually almost entirely driven from pupils at private/selective schools. Interesting... and not something I'd been aware of previously :yy:

I don't think parliament is either - they blame it on exam boards when it's really "good teaching" if you can say that.
Original post by The RAR

Yeah, for some reason that went through my head as well; if you look at the graph above this post, you'll see why many of them perhaps made it there by attending Eton/private schools.

I mean, with lower offer rates then, along with better exam coaching via private schools, a lot of the politicians today didn't need anything outstanding to get in. It's harder to get into other universities today than it was then.
Fair enough.

Still bad that he bought his way in - claimed he got the highest in his class when he didn't even finish with honours, along with the fact that one of his profs basically called him an imbecile. He regularly uses his university as a statement of genius, even though he belittles Obama's credentials, saying he got in via AA, even though he wasn't even eligible due to his poor high school grades and went through transfer, and was president of the Harvard Law Review.

Reminds me of a few on this website tbh
It must be sad having going to the same uni as these people and having its status *******ised to some extent as a result
Original post by Doonesbury
I think you are misreading the data. I've charted it:

Screen Shot 2018-03-29 at 23.31.57.jpg

Independent schools have been consistently ahead of Comps. With selective schools (i.e. grammars) close to the private schools. Not much growth at all from the maintained sector :frown:

That bump in growth is when curriculum 2000 came in. Fully modular A levels with (initially) 3 opportunities to sit AS modules to bump up grades (more for those schools that start AS teaching in yr11) Resits cost money though (so less common in the state sector) and had to be declared on ucas (except if the school was independent and chose to only certify A level grades at the end of sixth form and leave AS uncertified).

Cash and game playing distorting the system:frown:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending