The Student Room Group
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website

Cardiff University accommodation suggestions?

It's a really odd and specific question, but I'm particularly dissatisfied with the residence options and so I started looking beyond the ones offered by the University. To name a few, the places I'm interested In are Glendower House and The Fitzalan Place but they cost (approximately) a hefty £8,000 - £10,000 for 51 weeks for my preferred studio. If by a miracle my folks manage to pay for that, the only problem would be the catering options. Since I'd have to cater for myself and I'm not really good at It, details of food courts/cafeterias I could occasionally visit to get my meals at (that are at a convenient distance from campus, student union or the engineering facility) or how you guys at self-catering residences generally handle this would be nice to know.

If my parents can't manage the finances for such accommodations, In terms of convenience to local shops, restaurants, food courts, and a short walk between the main campus, engineering facility (I'll be doing CS and heard that's where the CS classes take place. Being very close to there would be great), Is mainly associated with university students and the room Is an En-suite, what accommodation(s) would you suggest? If I do get an answer, thanks In advance.

For reference, these are the two places I mentioned: http://www.crm-students.com/crm-accommodation/cardiff/the-fitzalan/

http://www.crm-students.com/crm-accommodation/cardiff/glendower-house/

Note: Even though I am disinterested with what's offered by the university, It's possible I missed something and so recommending them Is fine, but I am mainly interested with the ones not associated with the university.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hi there,

I'm currently a first year university student studying engineering at cardiff university. And I had the exactly the same situation as you, I found that the university accommodation available was not up to a suitable standard to my liking. I ended up living at the Fitzalan, which is one of the places you've looked into. And yes I would say that it is definitely worth going to private accommodation than uni owned because it might be more expensive but the value for money and benefits outweigh the negatives.

So with regards to your question I would say the fitzalan is better overalls for engineering as they have a better location, directly opposite the university and it is better in terms of closeness and path to town (2 mins straight walk). So in terms of food courts, they don't really have a good court here of general smaller food branches. The only indoor food place would be inside saint Davids 2 shopping centre, where they have the typical restaurant franchises (tgis, Frankie and bennies, Nando's, ect). In terms of their food sources there's plenty of cafes nearby. There's a Sainsbury's and Tesco metro close by, a one stop just next to the Fitz and a pasta cafe underneath.

I would also tell you to look at other places nearby like ellipse, crown court, lumis, bridge Street exchange and Windsor house.

If you have any questions regarding the fitzalan, go ahead and ask because I know a lot about the insides and out of the place and area!
Studying at Cardiff University
Cardiff University
Visit website
Original post by kelvin_pangg
Hi there,

I'm currently a first year university student studying engineering at cardiff university. And I had the exactly the same situation as you, I found that the university accommodation available was not up to a suitable standard to my liking. I ended up living at the Fitzalan, which is one of the places you've looked into. And yes I would say that it is definitely worth going to private accommodation than uni owned because it might be more expensive but the value for money and benefits outweigh the negatives.

So with regards to your question I would say the fitzalan is better overalls for engineering as they have a better location, directly opposite the university and it is better in terms of closeness and path to town (2 mins straight walk). So in terms of food courts, they don't really have a good court here of general smaller food branches. The only indoor food place would be inside saint Davids 2 shopping centre, where they have the typical restaurant franchises (tgis, Frankie and bennies, Nando's, ect). In terms of their food sources there's plenty of cafes nearby. There's a Sainsbury's and Tesco metro close by, a one stop just next to the Fitz and a pasta cafe underneath.

I would also tell you to look at other places nearby like ellipse, crown court, lumis, bridge Street exchange and Windsor house.

If you have any questions regarding the fitzalan, go ahead and ask because I know a lot about the insides and out of the place and area!
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely take a look at those places as well. What would you say the social atmosphere at the Fitzalan is like?
Reply 3
Hey :smile:

I know lots of people studying in Cardiff and have lots of friends there, all of whom have lived in their accomodation.
One lived in Talybont North. I visited him and thought it was really nice, and clean, impressed he had an en-suite, basketball court or an astro was on the grounds as well as a big carpark. However, this was a few years ago when he lived here and I've since been told it it not nearly as nice now. But i know when he lived there, it had just been refurbished so that may be why.

Talybont South is meant to be lovely! And looks it too.

You can refine the searches for accomodation according to your wishes: en-suite, quiet living (so you're put with people who may not wanna go out to much etc), self-catered, or catered, etc.
The Cardiff website also shows the distance from that specific accomodation, to the main campus and the Heath Park campus. It shows walking & cycling time as well as distance and shows which buses you can get if you want to do that.
Senghennydd Hall is University-owned and has a part-catered option :h: And it's about 5 minutes from the CompSci buildings
Original post by maria.3
Hey :smile:

I know lots of people studying in Cardiff and have lots of friends there, all of whom have lived in their accomodation.
One lived in Talybont North. I visited him and thought it was really nice, and clean, impressed he had an en-suite, basketball court or an astro was on the grounds as well as a big carpark. However, this was a few years ago when he lived here and I've since been told it it not nearly as nice now. But i know when he lived there, it had just been refurbished so that may be why.

Talybont South is meant to be lovely! And looks it too.

You can refine the searches for accomodation according to your wishes: en-suite, quiet living (so you're put with people who may not wanna go out to much etc), self-catered, or catered, etc.
The Cardiff website also shows the distance from that specific accomodation, to the main campus and the Heath Park campus. It shows walking & cycling time as well as distance and shows which buses you can get if you want to do that.

Personally private accommodation and university halls are both in a different ball park in terms of living conditions. I've seen both and my friend complains to me to why she chose halls when she could go private. The price difference isn't significant for more civilized "2018/modern" living. Living in halls resembles the 80s...
Reply 6
Personally private accommodation and university halls are both in a different ball park in terms of living conditions. I've seen both and my friend complains to me to why she chose halls when she could go private. The price difference isn't significant for more civilized "2018/modern" living. Living in halls resembles the 80s...

thanks for your response but i’m choosing to live in halls so it didn’t help really
Original post by maria.3
thanks for your response but i’m choosing to live in halls so it didn’t help really

I thought you already lived in halls
Reply 8

I thought you already lived in halls

no. i’m going next year. why’d you think that?
Original post by moppp
How likely is it that I'll get one of my top 5 choices of accommodation if I applied at the end of March?

For uni halls?
Original post by maria.3
no. i’m going next year. why’d you think that?

Personally I think it's a bit unhygienic and not up to scratch for a modern lifestyle tbh.
Reply 11
Personally I think it's a bit unhygienic and not up to scratch for a modern lifestyle tbh.

well that’s fine. but most new university students choose to live in halls because it’s the best way of meeting people and it’s very sociable
Original post by maria.3
well that’s fine. but most new university students choose to live in halls because it’s the best way of meeting people and it’s very sociable

True, that's exactly what I feared. But in my case I made a variety of student from different universities studying different courses. And I'm glad I made the decision to come here. I totally get how it is the best way of meeting people and being social. But I'm just explaining the benefits and downsides if you need to know :smile:.
Original post by moppp
Yeah for halls. My top ones being the talybont accommodations

I don't know for sure. But I know they fill up every year and people who miss out are forced into these house shares near the student union. The earlier the better in my opinion.
I'm sorry but I think you need a bit of a reality check. You can't be annoyed at paying 10k for accommodation (or rather your parents are paying) if you want a studio, and refuse to live in the university regulated accommodation options. Halls are absolutely fine - 90% of students go into halls. Having an ensuite would give you your own space, allow you to actually meet people, and cost half the price. Why are you purposely choosing the most expensive and alienating options?

In terms of food? Cook for yourself. You may not be good at it but it's the time where you're meant to learn those sorts of life skills!

If you do engineering, go for Senghennydd - just walk over a bridge and you'll be at your school. You'll have to opt for Hall as opposed to court if you won't share a bathroom, and Hall also has a meal plan option.
Original post by Mojojojo
I'm sorry but I think you need a bit of a reality check. You can't be annoyed at paying 10k for accommodation (or rather your parents are paying) if you want a studio, and refuse to live in the university regulated accommodation options. Halls are absolutely fine - 90% of students go into halls. Having an ensuite would give you your own space, allow you to actually meet people, and cost half the price. Why are you purposely choosing the most expensive and alienating options?

In terms of food? Cook for yourself. You may not be good at it but it's the time where you're meant to learn those sorts of life skills!

If you do engineering, go for Senghennydd - just walk over a bridge and you'll be at your school. You'll have to opt for Hall as opposed to court if you won't share a bathroom, and Hall also has a meal plan option.

Fair point, but I just don't find the uni halls compatible with most of the things I'd like. I went to boarding school and from the uni halls I've seen and gathered information on, the experience sounds similar to what I had at boarding. Although I absolutely loved a lot of things about boarding (particularly the social experience), there are certain things (only in terms of the living standards) I wanted to be different, and the private residences I've looked at satisfy a chunk of those concerns while the uni halls don't, but obviously at a cost.

From my perspective, I don't think It's alienating because I can make friends through societies and the private residences are still associated with students (though I obviously haven't been exposed to uni life and so that is simply my expectation). With that said, I've already sorted it out with my parents and selected the residence I'll be staying at, but I do appreciate the advice.

Edit: I'm also not annoyed by the cost of rent nor am I surprised by It, I was merely stating that It's a lot of money and my parents might not be able to come by It and hence why I entertained other options.
(edited 6 years ago)
Hey,

I lived at The Fitzalan this year and I can say it's amazing. It's so close to town and you can get to cathays campus in approx 15 mins, not to mention the engineering library opposite.
I'm looking for someone to take my large silver studio for academic year 18/19 as I am changing course. It's 7,900 approx in total ONO.
Pm to get more details!
Hey, at the Fitz was there a good mix of Cardiff students and Uni of South Wales students?
Because its so close to Uni of South Wales i'm concerned they may be the majority. I'll be going to Cardiff Uni to do a masters in September
Original post by alishajay31
Hey,

I lived at The Fitzalan this year and I can say it's amazing. It's so close to town and you can get to cathays campus in approx 15 mins, not to mention the engineering library opposite.
I'm looking for someone to take my large silver studio for academic year 18/19 as I am changing course. It's 7,900 approx in total ONO.
Pm to get more details!
Hey, at the Fitz was there a good mix of Cardiff students and Uni of South Wales students?

Because its so close to Uni of South Wales i'm concerned they may be the majority. I'll be going to Cardiff Uni to do a masters in September
Original post by Paranoid_Glitch
Thanks for the info, I'll definitely take a look at those places as well. What would you say the social atmosphere at the Fitzalan is like?
Hey there. When I was there last year, it was a mix of students studying at the three universities in Cardiff; Cardif uni, USW, and Cardiff met. There were also students studying at other establishments, and people who are doing study related stuff like could be placement, work experience and apprenticeships. So to answer your question it really depends on your group of people who move in at the same time as you. But I would add that the Cardiff university engineering department is literally across the road so that carries more students in my opinion than USW. Personally met my "gang" for engineering at the Fitz, a good 8+ of us studying the same course and living in the same accommodation.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending