The Student Room Group

evaluation of gender bias

i've used my teachers notes, an online textbook, a AQA hardback textbook and multiple online revision resources and i still don't understand any of the A03 (evaluation) points that they give. could someone please give me an example of some for Issues and Debates? (preferably Gender Bias for AQA)
Gender pay gap? BBC news released a list of the wage gap in most U.K. Companies today, that could be good?
Original post by pippa2.1
Gender pay gap? BBC news released a list of the wage gap in most U.K. Companies today, that could be good?

I just don't understand how the A03 works, so would it be strengths and weaknesses of gender bias? or..
Reply 3
Original post by imundercover
i've used my teachers notes, an online textbook, a AQA hardback textbook and multiple online revision resources and i still don't understand any of the A03 (evaluation) points that they give. could someone please give me an example of some for Issues and Debates? (preferably Gender Bias for AQA)

Are you talking about this subject?: https://www.tutor2u.net/psychology/reference/issues-debates-evaluating-gender-bias

yes, but I don't know if I'm just having a major mind blank or not, but this information just doesn't make sense to me at all?
Knew this would be psychology, what's the issue? Not sure if your title is accurate.
Reply 6
yes, but I don't know if I'm just having a major mind blank or not, but this information just doesn't make sense to me at all?

It does to me, maybe you are having a 'major mind blank'? Are you doing AS or A-level right now?
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by k.n.h.
It does to me, maybe you are having a 'major mind blank'? Are you doing AS or A-level right now?

"Another way to reduce gender bias is to take a feminist approach which attempts to restore the imbalance in both psychological theories and research. For example, feminist psychology accepts that there are biological differences between males and females: Research by Eagly (1978) claims that female are less effective leaders than males. However, the purpose of Eagly’s claim is to help researchers develop training programmes aimed at reducing the lack of female leaders in the real-world."

how is discussing how to reduce gender bias an evaluation point? isn't evaluation meant to be strengths/weaknesses?
Well the A03 of Gender bias is like evaluating an evaluation point. This is because typically you use gender bias as A03 for something else. Soooo actually evaluating gender bias as it’s own thing is quite difficult (I think evaluating issues and debates is really hard).

Your best bet is an example of real life application, so name/explain a study that displays it like Asch. He used only male participants yet generalised to everyone. So this is a very good example of Beta bias. Then you would explain that this is an example of gender bias, therefore the theory of gender bias has real life application showing there is some truth behind it etc. The fact that actual studies display gender bias is a strength of gender bias. I hope that makes sense!

So if I had a 4 mark question for instance ‘Describe one strength of gender bias’ I would write something like:

Gender bias has plenty of real life application. For instance, Asch used only male participants in his conformity study yet generalised his findings to both men and women. This is just one example amongst many of beta bias. This is a strength of gender bias because it increases the validity of the theory as it is actually seen in many real studies.

(I’m basically saying: it’s a real thing and this is why). I have to say I haven’t looked at any of your links but this is just what I would write😊😊😊
Reply 9
"Another way to reduce gender bias is to take a feminist approach which attempts to restore the imbalance in both psychological theories and research. For example, feminist psychology accepts that there are biological differences between males and females: Research by Eagly (1978) claims that female are less effective leaders than males. However, the purpose of Eagly’s claim is to help researchers develop training programmes aimed at reducing the lack of female leaders in the real-world."

how is discussing how to reduce gender bias an evaluation point? isn't evaluation meant to be strengths/weaknesses?

I believe you need to mention advantages and disadvantages of the method used to reduce gender bias, then reach a conclusion. Could you post some of the AO3/evaluation points the textbooks you have include on this certain topic to ensure relevancy in terms of the A-level specification?
Original post by JessAntonia:)
Well the A03 of Gender bias is like evaluating an evaluation point. This is because typically you use gender bias as A03 for something else. Soooo actually evaluating gender bias as it’s own thing is quite difficult (I think evaluating issues and debates is really hard).

Your best bet is an example of real life application, so name/explain a study that displays it like Asch. He used only male participants yet generalised to everyone. So this is a very good example of Beta bias. Then you would explain that this is an example of gender bias, therefore the theory of gender bias has real life application showing there is some truth behind it etc. The fact that actual studies display gender bias is a strength of gender bias. I hope that makes sense!

So if I had a 4 mark question for instance ‘Describe one strength of gender bias’ I would write something like:

Gender bias has plenty of real life application. For instance, Asch used only male participants in his conformity study yet generalised his findings to both men and women. This is just one example amongst many of beta bias. This is a strength of gender bias because it increases the validity of the theory as it is actually seen in many real studies.

(I’m basically saying: it’s a real thing and this is why). I have to say I haven’t looked at any of your links but this is just what I would write😊😊😊

thank you! this is mostly helpful - i'm just slightly confused: so is gender bias a theory? and we are evaluating this theory?
Original post by k.n.h.
I believe you need to mention advantages and disadvantages of the method used to reduce gender bias, then reach a conclusion. Could you post some of the AO3/evaluation points the textbooks you have include on this certain topic to ensure relevancy in terms of the A-level specification?

image1 2.jpeg
Reply 12
image1 2.jpeg

The book seems to be addressing a specific type of research - what type is it? I'll try to simplify what it says after you answer this

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending