The Student Room Group

psychology paper 3

i was wondering if anyone knows how to evaluate issues and debates for psych paper 3 as there aren't any advantage/disadvantage evaluation points?

normally I would say 'an advantage of this is...', but how do I phrase my paragraphs when I can't use this as an opener?
thank u sm for any help xxx
Reply 1
I evaluate them by saying how researchers have used a particular side of a debate or have found evidence to suggest that one side may be a more beneficial option. A good option is to stick to really influential studies that are well known. Mark schemes credit "evidence that supports or contradicts either side of the argument".
Also talk about how taking any side might lead to invalid research or might not be reliable, like gender bias promoting sexism in research process or something, how twin studies may actually be affected by the environment.
And then I would also mention that both sides of the debate are important and psychologists should consider a middle ground.
Depending on what other topics you take, try to consider what side of debates research into that field uses and you can revise 2 topics in one.

So like you could say "reductionist treatments like drugs contribute to the scientific credibility of psychology as they can be empirically tested" as a starting point, if you take SZ mention research into biological treatments etc.
Original post by jjeeeeeea
I evaluate them by saying how researchers have used a particular side of a debate or have found evidence to suggest that one side may be a more beneficial option. A good option is to stick to really influential studies that are well known. Mark schemes credit "evidence that supports or contradicts either side of the argument".
Also talk about how taking any side might lead to invalid research or might not be reliable, like gender bias promoting sexism in research process or something, how twin studies may actually be affected by the environment.
And then I would also mention that both sides of the debate are important and psychologists should consider a middle ground.
Depending on what other topics you take, try to consider what side of debates research into that field uses and you can revise 2 topics in one.

So like you could say "reductionist treatments like drugs contribute to the scientific credibility of psychology as they can be empirically tested" as a starting point, if you take SZ mention research into biological treatments etc.

thank you so so much that is so helpful!!!

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending