The Student Room Group

AQA French A-level FREN1 & FREN3 (Old Spec) - 04 & 18 Jun 2018 [Exam discussion]

Hi all,

This thread is for those retaking the old French A-level specification this summer 2018 !

Dates:
FREN1 AS written exam: Monday 4th June 2018
FREN3 A2 written exam: Monday 18th June 2018

This year's exams for this spec are for retakes only.

Specification link:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2650-2660-2695-W-SP-14.PDF

I have no idea if there will be anyone joining me on this thread ... :colondollar:

I did my A2s last year and failed to get into uni (firm Durham, insurance Exeter) as I got ABC and required AAA for Durham. In French, I got a B.

I went through clearing and didn't even get any offers through that because of my C in maths. So gap year it was with resits in French and Maths. I am commencing revision for those exams now - so I thought I'd make this thread in case anyone else was retaking these exams too. I'm only going to be retaking the A2 speaking and written exams. For my cultural topics I'm doing the play l'Avare by Molière and the film Amélie.

If you are retaking too let me know what sort of stuff you are doing to revise !! I'm finding it all very different as I'm not in daily lessons at school being talked at in French etc...

Hoping to get at least an A this year round !

Bonne chance everyone:h:
(edited 6 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Original post by 221Breezeblocks
Hi all,

This thread is for those retaking the old French A-level specification this summer 2018 !

Dates:
FREN1 AS written exam: Monday 4th June 2018
FREN3 A2 written exam: Monday 18th June 2018

This year's exams for this spec are for retakes only.

Specification link:
http://filestore.aqa.org.uk/subjects/specifications/alevel/AQA-2650-2660-2695-W-SP-14.PDF

I have no idea if there will be anyone joining me on this thread ... :colondollar:

I did my A2s last year and failed to get into uni (firm Durham, insurance Exeter) as I got ABC and required AAA for Durham. In French, I got a B.

I went through clearing and didn't even get any offers through that because of my C in maths. So gap year it was with resits in French and Maths. I am commencing revision for those exams now - so I thought I'd make this thread in case anyone else was retaking these exams too. I'm only going to be retaking the A2 speaking and written exams. For my cultural topics I'm doing the play l'Avare by Molière and the film Amélie.

If you are retaking too let me know what sort of stuff you are doing to revise !! I'm finding it all very different as I'm not in daily lessons at school being talked at in French etc...

Hoping to get at least an A this year round !

Bonne chance everyone:h:

Hey! I’m also retaking French, but only the written papers. I am also studying Amélie for the A2 paper! 😊
Hi :wavey: Nice exam thread! I've added it to our big list of exam threads here where you can find helpful threads for all the exams you're doing :h: If you feel like making any more exam threads, let me know the link and I can add it in as well! Happy revising :bl:
Reply 3
Is this thread still going? I'd like some advice.
Original post by leeks._
Is this thread still going? I'd like some advice.

Seems like there is just me here lol ~ what do you need help with ?
Reply 5
Original post by 221Breezeblocks
Seems like there is just me here lol ~ what do you need help with ?

I just want to ask what do you use to revise french? how are you getting along with your essay writing? vocab? etc
Original post by leeks._
I just want to ask what do you use to revise french? how are you getting along with your essay writing? vocab? etc

I'm memorising ideas, arguments and facts for the debate. Haven't really done masses for the essay, but am going to start learning paragraphs. Learning the AQA vocab for each topic... Really need to start practicing translation aswell lol
Reply 7
How do you practice listening?
Original post by leeks._
How do you practice listening?

They only way I've been revising listening is just through doing past papers. When is your speaking exam? Mine's on Friday!
Reply 9
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine!

But I'm not doing the speaking exams.
Original post by leeks._
Good luck! I'm sure you'll be fine!

But I'm not doing the speaking exams.

Thank you ! You're very lucky haha ... I'm definitely much more prepared than last year but... still not as prepared as I want to be agghhh!!!

What cultural topics have you studied ? :smile:
Reply 11
Sorry for the late reply! How did the AS exam go? what question did you answer? and for the cultural study, I choose l'etranger. How did the speaking go?
Original post by leeks._
Sorry for the late reply! How did the AS exam go? what question did you answer? and for the cultural study, I choose l'etranger. How did the speaking go?

I'm not actually resitting the AS paper, only the A2 one left now :smile: . And my speaking went terrifically ! My debate was on driverless cars - not a topic that I'd specifically prepared, but had no massive trip ups. The best part for me was the cultural qs :smile: I was super super relieved that it went well as I now don't feel as though I have to make up lost marks on the written.
Hey everyone! Had no idea this thread was going! I thought I was the only one out there resitting the OLD A2 spec! I was unwell and off school last year for 4 months, totally out of action, and I stupidly attempted to catch up on all three of my a levels at once, it didn't go to plan and i had to pull out of UCAS etc and commit to staying on another year. So i took the french and psychology papers but french didn't go so well. So now I'm taking the FREN3 paper (speaking was fine from last year) along with my first shot at Bio! How are people feeling about the paper?
Reply 14
I’m also resitting this paper with the film La Haine as my topic for the writing section. I’m so nervous ! Does anyone have any guesses what the questions could be?
Reply 15
With the cultural topics, as long as you know general themes and examples, you should be able to apply them anywhere, to any question and because i've done all of the papers, I don't really have any resources:frown:
I'm very nervous too, and am banking on a general question !! Themes and techniques came up specifically last year.... would be great to have something on influences but they've previously done several specific questions on that so I guess it's unlikely. I've studied Amélie btw.

How long approximately are your essays usually ? I always really worry that I'm not including near enough detail to get high content marks... Are any of you typing the essay also ?
Also quotes ??!? We were advised to quote even when writing an essay on a film - have you guys been told the same ?:s-smilie::s-smilie:
Reply 18
No I never type my essays I always write them out , and they’re usually about 2 and a half A4 sides long, I also feel like I never write enough , I’m going to try to aim to write more than I usually do. And no we were always told to back up our points with evidence by referencing a scene and describing it, so adding quotes wasn’t really necessary
Reply 19
I don't type up my essays, but what resources do you guys use, pls share them! & ys with quotes but you don't need to quote every two seconds because you need to explain all the quote and it is the explanation of the quote that is most important

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending