The Student Room Group

Advice needed on studying Masters with little to no funding as an int. student

Hello everyone,

I'm speaking on a friends behalf:

I'm currently studying Philosophy via distance learning at massey university in new zealand. I moved to UK in early march and am about halfway through the degree, currently on track for a 2.1/1st in UK terms.

I really really want to go on to study a masters in either classics, ancient history or philosophy, with hopes to go ahead to a PhD. The issue is, my visa is a tier 5 visa, which means I am only allowed to stay here till feb 2020, and I have no financial backing from my family, so am essentially self funded throughout. I am willing to study part time, if that makes a difference, but am still very worried about being able to study at all due to finances. My degree is due to finish sometime mid summer to september next year.

I am aware that there are scholarships offered for international students, would anyone be able to tell me any specific ones I can apply to? At the moment, I'd like to apply to ucl, king's, oxford or cambridge (depending on the course). Also, most scholarship requires you to prove your academic merit through awards, pubilcations and professional achievements. What would be some examples of these?

I feel like my situation is pretty difficult and have been feeling increasingly hopeless. I'd really appreciate it if someone has any advice on how I could go about applying and funding opportunities.

Thank you
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by lemonlikelime
Hello everyone,

I'm speaking on a friends behalf:

I'm currently studying Philosophy via distance learning at massey university in new zealand. I moved to UK in early march and am about halfway through the degree, currently on track for a 2.1/1st in UK terms.

I really really want to go on to study a masters in either classics, ancient history or philosophy, with hopes to go ahead to a PhD. The issue is, my visa is a tier 5 visa, which means I am only allowed to stay here till feb 2020, and I have no financial backing from my family, so am essentially self funded throughout. I am willing to study part time, if that makes a difference, but am still very worried about being able to study at all due to finances. My degree is due to finish sometime mid summer to september next year.

I am aware that there are scholarships offered for international students, would anyone be able to tell me any specific ones I can apply to? At the moment, I'd like to apply to ucl, king's, oxford or cambridge (depending on the course). Also, most scholarship requires you to prove your academic merit through awards, pubilcations and professional achievements. What would be some examples of these?

I feel like my situation is pretty difficult and have been feeling increasingly hopeless. I'd really appreciate it if someone has any advice on how I could go about applying and funding opportunities.

Thank you

Your situation is the same as most other international students in that they have to come up with their own funding. The only one I can think of is commonwealth and that's dependent on your nationality. Otherwise it really is down to you to either save or find funding which is quite difficult at masters level in the social sciences. You've already worked out that professional achievements = awards and publications so not sure what more you want people to say.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending