The Student Room Group

Applying for post-grad

Hi, I just wanted to see how I can get or try to get scholarship for masters as I am thinking of doing my masters right after I finish my undergraduate degree. I just have no idea on where to start.
Hi most universities have some sort of funding available, I would recommend looking into that!

If you are applying into something research based then some professors can provide funding as well.
Original post by Triple A_N
Hi, I just wanted to see how I can get or try to get scholarship for masters as I am thinking of doing my masters right after I finish my undergraduate degree. I just have no idea on where to start.

Hey!

As said above, definitely investigate the university's scholarship opportunities! Many universities also offer alumni scholarships (i.e. if you went to the uni for undergrad you may be offered a reduced rate/scholarship). They'll likely have a scholarships page on the university website where you can find all the scholarships available. If not, definitely contact the finance/admissions team and they should be able to help!

Best of luck with everything,
Natalie
University of Kent Student Rep
Reply 3
Original post by University of Kent
Hey!

As said above, definitely investigate the university's scholarship opportunities! Many universities also offer alumni scholarships (i.e. if you went to the uni for undergrad you may be offered a reduced rate/scholarship). They'll likely have a scholarships page on the university website where you can find all the scholarships available. If not, definitely contact the finance/admissions team and they should be able to help!

Best of luck with everything,
Natalie

Hi, thank you for replying.

But what about if I want to venture out of the current uni I’m in. I’ve been looking at other unis but most scholarships they offer is mostly for individuals who already studied there (like you stated)
Hi, thank you for replying.

But what about if I want to venture out of the current uni I’m in. I’ve been looking at other unis but most scholarships they offer is mostly for individuals who already studied there (like you stated)

Hey,

Yeah that's probably a little more difficult, but there is definitely still opportunities out there! I know it can be frustrating as a lot of scholarships are very specific. You could also look in to early bird discounts (I know Kent does a 10% tuition fee discount for early applicants so I'm sure other unis may do similar) or subject-specific scholarships. Also, if you intend to do a master's by research/master's + PhD, it could be worth exploring research council funding for your specific study area, as this is a little more accessible than alumni scholarships. Otherwise, there is always the postgraduate loan from student finance which could help to fund a master's, but I know that it doesn't cover the course + living fees so it's not ideal.

What uni/course are you looking at? :smile:

I hope you manage to find something!
Natalie
Reply 5
Original post by University of Kent
Hey,

Yeah that's probably a little more difficult, but there is definitely still opportunities out there! I know it can be frustrating as a lot of scholarships are very specific. You could also look in to early bird discounts (I know Kent does a 10% tuition fee discount for early applicants so I'm sure other unis may do similar) or subject-specific scholarships. Also, if you intend to do a master's by research/master's + PhD, it could be worth exploring research council funding for your specific study area, as this is a little more accessible than alumni scholarships. Otherwise, there is always the postgraduate loan from student finance which could help to fund a master's, but I know that it doesn't cover the course + living fees so it's not ideal.

What uni/course are you looking at? :smile:

I hope you manage to find something!
Natalie

Hi,

I’ve looked at several unis in London because I don’t think it’s ideal for me to try find a uni that’s a bit further out. As it’s expensive to live on campus even if I opt to student finance for a loan, as it wouldn’t be near enough to cover the fees. But I would like a scholarship or discount of some sort to lower the fee.

I’m looking at to study Computer Science/Computing something in that field. I’ve looked at UCL, Middlesex however I need to widen my search as I don’t want to really rush the decision of trying to find a place.

Hey!

It's great that you're considering pursuing a master's degree! Securing a scholarship can certainly help ease the financial burden. You can explore the following to get started:

Explore UK Government Scholarships: The UK government and affiliated organizations often provide scholarships. Check the official websites for these schemes.

Check University-Specific Scholarships: Each university may have its own set of scholarships. Explore the scholarship sections on university websites for details on available funding opportunities.

Look into Research Councils: Some disciplines may have specific funding from research councils. For example, the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) offers funding for postgraduate research.

Consider Professional Organizations: Certain professional organizations and industry bodies offer scholarships for students in specific fields. Explore opportunities related to your area of study.

Explore External Funding Bodies: Research external organizations that support education and research. This could include charities, trusts, and foundations.

Check for Merit-Based Scholarships: Some scholarships are awarded based on academic merit. Ensure your academic achievements align with the eligibility criteria.

Review Alumni Scholarships: Some universities offer scholarships specifically for their alumni or students progressing from undergraduate to postgraduate studies within the same institution.

Consider Part-Time Work Opportunities: Investigate part-time work opportunities on campus or in the local community.

Check Application Processes: Pay attention to the application processes and requirements for each scholarship. Some may require a separate application, while others may consider all applicants automatically.

Utilize University Support Services: Reach out to the student support services or scholarship offices at the universities you're interested in. They can provide valuable information and assistance.

Remember to start your research early, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you need clarification on any aspect of the application process. If you have specific universities in mind, visiting their official websites and contacting their admissions or scholarship offices directly can provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information. Good luck with your scholarship applications for your masters!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
(edited 4 months ago)
Reply 7
Original post by UoS PG students
Hey!

It's great that you're considering pursuing a master's degree! Securing a scholarship can certainly help ease the financial burden. You can explore the following to get started:

Explore UK Government Scholarships: The UK government and affiliated organizations often provide scholarships. Check the official websites for these schemes.

Check University-Specific Scholarships: Each university may have its own set of scholarships. Explore the scholarship sections on university websites for details on available funding opportunities.

Look into Research Councils: Some disciplines may have specific funding from research councils. For example, the UK Research and Innovation (UKRI) offers funding for postgraduate research.

Consider Professional Organizations: Certain professional organizations and industry bodies offer scholarships for students in specific fields. Explore opportunities related to your area of study.

Explore External Funding Bodies: Research external organizations that support education and research. This could include charities, trusts, and foundations.

Check for Merit-Based Scholarships: Some scholarships are awarded based on academic merit. Ensure your academic achievements align with the eligibility criteria.

Review Alumni Scholarships: Some universities offer scholarships specifically for their alumni or students progressing from undergraduate to postgraduate studies within the same institution.

Consider Part-Time Work Opportunities: Investigate part-time work opportunities on campus or in the local community.

Check Application Processes: Pay attention to the application processes and requirements for each scholarship. Some may require a separate application, while others may consider all applicants automatically.

Utilize University Support Services: Reach out to the student support services or scholarship offices at the universities you're interested in. They can provide valuable information and assistance.

Remember to start your research early, and don't hesitate to ask questions if you need clarification on any aspect of the application process. If you have specific universities in mind, visiting their official websites and contacting their admissions or scholarship offices directly can provide you with the most accurate and up-to-date information. Good luck with your scholarship applications for your masters!

Best Wishes
Priya :smile:
Postgraduate Ambassador
University of Southampton
Thank you !

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending