The Student Room Group

advice about postgrad study: funding problems

Hi everyone, this is a hefty post but I appreciate any advice.
I’m currently having a huge panic about my future studies. I am a home student in the UK, I’m currently registered onto an integrated masters course. I am about to complete my third year. I wanted to change back to a BSc so I can graduate this year and apply for masters closer to home, however I’ve been notified that if I do this, the new ‘rules’ about funding mean that I may be ineligible for postgraduate funding. This is a complete shock to me as I have been doing the exact same course, lessons, and assignments as everyone else on the BSc version, except next year would be the masters year. I really cannot continue at this university and I’m afraid for my future as I’m aspiring to be a clinical psychologist, however, I cannot continue studying where I am right now.
For a little context, I live 4 hours away from home, and I have a disability. My medical team are at home and I unfortunately have been progressively feeling worse, both physically and mentally, to the point I had sepsis last year at the age of 20. My medical team try to communicate with my GP to get me the medications I need prescribed, to no success. I’m struggling by myself and being very sick with even the common cold cripples me, and I end up returning home as I cannot get the help I need here, both from my family and medical team. This has taken a huge toll on my mental health, alongside with the fact that I am petrified of becoming sick here with no family close by especially after having sepsis last year. I tried to transfer universities to be closer to home, to have support and access to the healthcare that I need. The university responded to me once and that was all, all my other requests were ignored and I wasn’t able to move nor switch to the BSc. I have evidence of every health problem, every doctor visit, every trip home, and also evidence of being hospitalised when I had sepsis. I also have evidence of my current GP surgery not prescribing the medication I need despite my team from home communicating with them.
I may be able to graduate this year with a BSc, and be released from the integrated masters course, however to be able to obtain funding I need to prove ‘compelling reasons’. Do you think that with all the evidence I have, I may have a chance to be accepted for the loan based on extenuating circumstances? Has anybody had this same issue before, and if so do you have any advice? I’m honestly in pieces thinking about having to stay for another year, but also I don’t want to sacrifice my future aspirations :frown:
Reply 1
Original post by Mlopska
Hi everyone, this is a hefty post but I appreciate any advice.
I’m currently having a huge panic about my future studies. I am a home student in the UK, I’m currently registered onto an integrated masters course. I am about to complete my third year. I wanted to change back to a BSc so I can graduate this year and apply for masters closer to home, however I’ve been notified that if I do this, the new ‘rules’ about funding mean that I may be ineligible for postgraduate funding. This is a complete shock to me as I have been doing the exact same course, lessons, and assignments as everyone else on the BSc version, except next year would be the masters year. I really cannot continue at this university and I’m afraid for my future as I’m aspiring to be a clinical psychologist, however, I cannot continue studying where I am right now.
For a little context, I live 4 hours away from home, and I have a disability. My medical team are at home and I unfortunately have been progressively feeling worse, both physically and mentally, to the point I had sepsis last year at the age of 20. My medical team try to communicate with my GP to get me the medications I need prescribed, to no success. I’m struggling by myself and being very sick with even the common cold cripples me, and I end up returning home as I cannot get the help I need here, both from my family and medical team. This has taken a huge toll on my mental health, alongside with the fact that I am petrified of becoming sick here with no family close by especially after having sepsis last year. I tried to transfer universities to be closer to home, to have support and access to the healthcare that I need. The university responded to me once and that was all, all my other requests were ignored and I wasn’t able to move nor switch to the BSc. I have evidence of every health problem, every doctor visit, every trip home, and also evidence of being hospitalised when I had sepsis. I also have evidence of my current GP surgery not prescribing the medication I need despite my team from home communicating with them.
I may be able to graduate this year with a BSc, and be released from the integrated masters course, however to be able to obtain funding I need to prove ‘compelling reasons’. Do you think that with all the evidence I have, I may have a chance to be accepted for the loan based on extenuating circumstances? Has anybody had this same issue before, and if so do you have any advice? I’m honestly in pieces thinking about having to stay for another year, but also I don’t want to sacrifice my future aspirations :frown:

You dont need a masters for the doctorate of clinical psychology. Get a high 2.1 if you can and that is enough for most courses. You will need lots of practical skills/experience though (average 2 to 3 years).

Good luck,

Greg

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending