The Student Room Group

25% of Brits 'not willing' to accept Jews as family members

The Pew Research Centre found 23 per cent of all respondents say “no” when asked “would you be willing to accept Jews as members of your family.”

This was the second highest of the western European countries surveyed, behind only Italy, where 25 per cent said they would not accept a Jewish family member in their family.

https://www.thejc.com/news/uk-news/pew-research-poll-christianity-western-europe-23-per-cent-of-british-people-not-willing-to-accept-jew-family-members-1.464741

What the actual f*ck.

Scroll to see replies

All depends on ones interpretation of 'Brits', if these are all Muslims with a British nationality then is that much of a surprise b?
Original post by whoremoan
All depends on ones interpretation of 'Brits', if these are all Muslims with a British nationality then is that much of a surprise b?

I was waiting for that. Christians were the worse offenders. And if there is a correlation it is that anyone who hates one group of poeple (eg Muslims) are likely to also dislike Jews. That and being religious.

The Pew report found that “overall, anti-immigrant, anti-Muslim and anti-Jewish opinions are more common among Christians, at all levels of practice, than they are among Western Europeans with no religious affiliation.”

But the report added: “This is not to say that most Christians hold these views: On the contrary, by most measures and in most countries surveyed, only minorities of Christians voice negative opinions about immigrants and religious minorities.”
It found some clear correlations, noting “those who express negative views of Muslims are also more likely to express negative views of Jews” and “people who express negative attitudes toward Muslims and Jews are also more likely to express negative attitudes toward immigrants, and vice versa.”

But the report added: “This is not to say that most Christians hold these views: On the contrary, by most measures and in most countries surveyed, only minorities of Christians voice negative opinions about immigrants and religious minorities.”
It found some clear correlations, noting “those who express negative views of Muslims are also more likely to express negative views of Jews” and “people who express negative attitudes toward Muslims and Jews are also more likely to express negative attitudes toward immigrants, and vice versa.”

(edited 5 years ago)
Fair enough, was just an idea

Ah, you live up to your screen name. :smile: Let us blame the Muslims, as usual... let us not read the darned article.
Fair enough, was just an idea

It's an english far right strategy to play on and stoke up the hatred between Muslims and Jews (which does exist and need addressing) in order to attack both groups as not being deserving of being British. You have to be aware of this stuff.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by RosieAppleLemon
Ah, you live up to your screen name. :smile: Let us blame the Muslims, as usual... let us not read the darned article.

I wasn't blaming Muslims I was stating a possibility, and being a whore who moans has nothing to do with having a htared for Muslims, which as a matter of fact I don't
I wasn't blaming Muslims I was stating a possibility, and being a whore who moans has nothing to do with having a htared for Muslims, which as a matter of fact I don't

You are moaning - doesn't specifically say in your name 'WhoreMuslimMoaner' (you get the idea, despite something a little crude)...

Hence, you do live up to the name.

So many possibilities and you select the main group. Some Christians treat Jews awful too, btw. It is all within the Abrahamic people. Sikhs are Brits too, so are Hindus, so are atheists... Hitler wasn't a Muslim, was he?

Nice that you isolated the followers of a religion that is constantly portrayed in a negative light through the media.

'is it much of a surprise?' - yes, that doesn't scream prejudice to me, at all. BTW, I am a Muslim myself, and my uncle has married a Jewish woman - it does happen.

So mate, don't chat sh*t. At least live up to the claims that you make.
(edited 5 years ago)
You are moaning - doesn't specifically say in your name 'WhoreMuslimMoaner' (you get the idea, despite something a little crude)...

Hence, you do live up to the name.

So many possibilities and you select the main group. Some Christians treat Jews awful too, btw. It is all within the Abrahamic language.

Nice that you isolated the followers of a religion that is constantly portrayed in a negative light through the media.

So mate, don't chat sh*t. At least live up to the claims that you make.

The Quran is full of negative references to Jews so it's safe to say a Muslim is more likely to reject a Jew than a member of other religions, my first comment was not baseless. And fyi Muslims are portrayed in a -ve light by the media for a reason
(edited 5 years ago)
We Brits are ignorant. Most of us don't even know what a Jew is or even a Muslim is. The only reason the percentage is that high is because they've just read the word Jewish, said 'yes, that's not us' and voted against it. If a Jew or Muslim was actually going to marry into the family or something, I have faith that at least half that 23% wouldn't genuinely care.
(edited 5 years ago)
The Quran is full of negative references to Jews so it's safe to say a Muslim is more likely to reject a Jew than a member of other religions, my first comment was not baseless

This is coming from someone who has not read the Qu'ran in Arabic. Well done. More so, have you actually read the Bible? Or your holy scripture in the original format/language?

I strongly dislike those that make claims when they aren't even able to actually read the language of the book.

Yes, we are based on negative perceptions for a reasons - I agree with you. Almost 2 billion of us - if we all wanted to kill non-Muslims you wouldn't be typing such silly comments.

I won't argue with ignorance, but you clearly do have some detached feelings to Islam. Moreover, you're not even responding to the responses I have made. You can't - why? Because you know you're wrong.
(edited 5 years ago)
This is coming from someone who has not read the Qu'ran in Arabic. Well done. More so, have you actually read the Bible? Or your holy scripture in the original format/language?

I strongly dislike those that make claims when they aren't even able to actually read the language of the book.

I speak Arabic and have read it and understood it so lets not make assumptions sweetheart. I've read the bible but to a lesser extent
Reply 12
Worryingly high levels of people, particularly in Central and Eastern Europe, would not accept Jews as fellow citizens either.
I speak Arabic and have read it and understood it so lets not make assumptions sweetheart. I've read the bible but to a lesser extent

Oh yes... how convenient. Of course, you can... so easy to make claims over the internet.

Anyways bye - I am going read the Qu'ran in Arabic and see this supposed Jew bashing derives from.

You've read the Bible in English, not it's original language.
Original post by viddy9
Worryingly high levels of people, particularly in Central and Eastern Europe, would not accept Jews as fellow citizens either.

See. Not everything has to be about MUSLIMS WHORE BLOODY MOANER.
Original post by Cxm
We Brits are ignorant. Most of us don't even know what a Jew is or even a Muslim is. The only reason the percentage is that high is because they've just read the word Jewish, said 'yes, that's not us' and voted against it. If a Jew or Muslim was actually going to marry into the family or something, I have faith that at least half that 23% wouldn't genuinely care.

Yes this is true to some extent. My mum really really dislikes Muslims but I am sure if I brought a muslim girl home she would be fine about it.

However. This isn't enough to stop ethnic cleansing and genocide when push comes to shove. The reason these kind of attrocities can happen is becuase poeple are so cpabale of being divorced from the realities of the situation. Germans who literally guarded concentration camps where jews were systamatically exterminated can say they were not personally repsonsible as they didn't actually kill any jews themselves. This is how it works. Devision of labour and industrial planning allows the normal poeple to look the other way or remain ignorant of the hardcore racists who really hate and are prepared to plan and carry out genocide.

That is why it is a problem and it needs to be socially unacceptable to harbour bigotry. It is getting way to accaptable to be vocally bigoted against Muslims in this country. It passes the polite conversation test far to much. It looks like other groups may have joined that.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by ChaoticButterfly
Yes this is true to some extent. My mum really really dislikes Muslims but I am sure if I brought a muslim girl home she would be fine about it.

However. This isn't enough to stop ethnic cleansing and genocide when push comes to shove. The reason these kind of attrocities can happen is becuase poeple are so cpabale of being divorced from the realities of the situation. Germans who literally guarded concentration camps where jews were systamatically exterminated can say they were not personally repsonsible as they didn't actually kill any jews themselves. This is how it works. Devision of labour and industrial planning allows the normal poeple to look the other way or remain ignornat of the hardcore racists who really hate and are prepared to plan and carry out genocide.

That is why it is a problem and it needs to be socially unacceptable to harbour bigotry.

I agree with this. My ex is actually an atheist and his mum was unsure of me (I am Muslim) but she ended up loving me! It's just mixing and getting people to speak about their concerns rather than spout rubbish.
I'd rather look at it as 75% of Brits willing to accept Jews as their family members.
Reply 18
can we all just try to care a little bit less about what other people believe. For example "I believe that the sky is red" is harmless but "I believe in allah not the other thousands of gods." or "I believe in jehovar on all the others." apparently cause endless conflict. The arguments are all the same and one way or another should be treated just as harmlessly. im and atheist but a jewish family is marrying into mine, do you think that i give a toss? No! neither should anyone else.
(edited 5 years ago)
Oh yes... how convenient. Of course, you can... so easy to make claims over the internet.

Anyways bye - I am going read the Qu'ran in Arabic and see this supposed Jew bashing derives from.

You've read the Bible in English, not it's original language.

Looool well in that case I will dismiss any of your claims too since you're unwilling to be mature and accept I'm not lying about speaking Arabic and studyong the Quran

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending