The Student Room Group

Grade 4 in maths??RESIT!?!

In paper 1 and 2 i got around in my early 20s(according to the unofficial marksheme).Many people found it easy which im scared since it will increase the grade boundaries.I am honestly not aiming for anything amazing just a 5 .However i did so many silly mistakes im worried that the 5 will go down to a 4 which is absolutely heartbreaking because i really want to do A-level biology and in my sixth form you are required a band 5 in maths.My friends also keep telling me that if i get a grade 4 i need to resist since universities want a 5 not a 4.

Oh yeh and also can i redeem myself in paper 3 if i do extremely good can i secure a grade 5 having not done so good in paper 1 and 2?

I do edexcel higher btw
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 1
Original post by _solitary_
In paper 1 and 2 i got around in my early 20s(according to the unofficial marksheme).Many people found it easy which im scared since it will increase the grade boundaries.I am honestly not aiming for anything amazing just a 5 .However i did so many silly mistakes im worried that the 5 will go down to a 4 which is absolutely heartbreaking because i really want to do A-level biology and in my sixth form you are required a band 5 in maths.My friends also keep telling me that if i get a grade 4 i need to resist since universities want a 5 not a 4.

Oh yeh and also can i redeem myself in paper 3 if i do extremely good can i secure a grade 5 having not done so good in paper 2 and 3?

I do edexcel higher btw

Most universities ask for at-least a 4 in maths, although some ask for a 5. Try to do your best for Paper 3 and revise well.
Reply 2
Original post by Quizlet
Most universities ask for at-least a 4 in maths, although some ask for a 5. Try to do your best for Paper 3 and revise well.

Will a grade 4 next year be considered as a fail according to the rumours i have heard??
Reply 3
Will a grade 4 next year be considered as a fail according to the rumours i have heard??

A 4 is a pass- equivalent to the old C grade. A 5 or above however is a 'strong pass' which equates to a C/B. Hope this helps.
Reply 4
Original post by Quizlet

That's not true. If you're looking to get into a Russel Group Uni, for any courses their is usually a standard requirement of Grade 6(HighB) at GCSE Maths and English Language. So if you want to go into a RG Uni, you will almost certainly have to resit.
A 4 is a pass so you won’t have to resit, a 5 is pretty much a b-
Reply 6
Original post by STw67
That's not true. If you're looking to get into a Russel Group Uni, for any courses their is usually a standard requirement of Grade 6(HighB) at GCSE Maths and English Language. So if you want to go into a RG Uni, you will almost certainly have to resit.

Most ask for a 4, if not a 5.

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that bit- some top unis may ask for a 6, or even a 7 (but normally this is if your degree is closely related to maths or involves maths).

A 4 is a pass, it will remain a pass despite rumours.
HOWEVER it may not be a good enough pass to enable you to do what you want to do in the future. You have seen already that at some schools certain A levels demand a minumum grade in maths. Some degree courses will want a 5 or 6 or better depending on the maths content of the course. Some employers may want a 5 or above depending on the maths skills that might be needed in the job.
Don't panic, If you do get a 4 you will be able to pay to resit in November without the pressure of all of your other GCSE exam subjects and if you have the ability you will easily improve your grade.
Reply 8
HOW DO I REVISE? Literally nothing works for me? Also what do you think is going to come up on paper 3 higher edexcel
Reply 9
Original post by Quizlet
Most ask for a 4, if not a 5.

Yes, sorry, I forgot to mention that bit- some top unis may ask for a 6, or even a 7 (but normally this is if your degree is closely related to maths or involves maths).

Not for RG Uni's. Their is a standard requirement of GCSE's for most of them. If you're looking at a STEM Degree- Grade 6 in Maths. If you're looking at a Humanties/Law/English Based Degree- Grade 6 in English Language. Grade 4 and 5 is looked at as a Basic C by Uni's. With the Former in some cases being judged as a D.
Original post by STw67
Not for RG Uni's. Their is a standard requirement of GCSE's for most of them. If you're looking at a STEM Degree- Grade 6 in Maths. If you're looking at a Humanties/Law/English Based Degree- Grade 6 in English Language. Grade 4 and 5 is looked at as a Basic C by Uni's. With the Former in some cases being judged as a D.

STEM related subjects are quite heavily maths based, hence the requirement of at-least a 6 or above in GCSE maths.
Original post by Quizlet
STEM related subjects are quite heavily maths based, hence the requirement of at-least a 6 or above in GCSE maths.

I honestly just want to go to an average uni but im just scared if i wont be able to do A-level biology just because of the stupid entry requirements.
Original post by gdunne42
A 4 is a pass, it will remain a pass despite rumours.
HOWEVER it may not be a good enough pass to enable you to do what you want to do in the future. You have seen already that at some schools certain A levels demand a minumum grade in maths. Some degree courses will want a 5 or 6 or better depending on the maths content of the course. Some employers may want a 5 or above depending on the maths skills that might be needed in the job.
Don't panic, If you do get a 4 you will be able to pay to resit in November without the pressure of all of your other GCSE exam subjects and if you have the ability you will easily improve your grade.

Will a 4 still remain a pass even in 2019??
Reply 13
Original post by Quizlet

Yes so if the OP is looking to get into a Stem Course at a RG Uni Grade 4 will not be enough. If OP wants to get into a Humanties/English/Law based course at a RG Uni, you will need a Grade 6 in English Language.
Original post by Riya_57
HOW DO I REVISE? Literally nothing works for me? Also what do you think is going to come up on paper 3 higher edexcel

There are suggestions on likely topics and relevant practice questions on all of these web sites:

Corbett Maths
https://corbettmaths.com/2018/06/07/edexcel-paper-3-material/
Mathsgenie
https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/predictedpapers.html
JustMaths

https://justmaths.co.uk/2018/06/08/practice-practice-practice-nearly-there/

Reply 15
No stress bro, we all have strengths and weaknesses. We all find different things hard. so it's chill
I got a 4 in english language last year which totally screwed me up. Iwish i had retaken it. Id say try to convince your school to allow you to do all your subjects for A level and resit maths along side, when you get to a level the gcse workload will seem tiny and you should be able to do well. Resit in the octoberish exam, idk when it is
Reply 17
Original post by gdunne42
There are suggestions on likely topics and relevant practice questions on all of these web sites:

Corbett Maths
https://corbettmaths.com/2018/06/07/edexcel-paper-3-material/
Mathsgenie
https://www.mathsgenie.co.uk/predictedpapers.html
JustMaths

https://justmaths.co.uk/2018/06/08/practice-practice-practice-nearly-there/

Ty sm also do u think they will ask anymore of those hard probability questions?
It depends on what path you want to follow at Uni. If you want to do something that is heavily maths oriented then it might be worth resitting if you get a 4, if not then leave it and focus on A-Levels.

If paper 3 goes better, you could still end up with a 5 or above overall. I'm pretty sure they're equally weighted papers. Just do your best and what will be will be. :smile:

Also, "easy" is relative and depends on the person. Some people will only say it was easy if they scored over 90% whereas others may do the converse of this. Don't go through all these post-exam digest threads, it will only make you freak out about something that is already done - and trust me, people are more likely to post in these threads if they liked the exam.

Also, you are definitely not the first person to make a mistake in exam, due to stress or otherwise. True story: I missed out the first question (luckily it was only a couple of marks) of my Chem 1 GCSE exam which was a basic dot and cross diagram because I just skipped to the first answer space (rather than the circles to draw on) that I saw and started from there. Don't be too hard on yourself. Also, just because you didn't get the answer doesn't mean you won't get method marks, and TSR can't predict how they will be awarded.

One thing I would say is that I understand why your sixth-form wants a 5 for a science subject - I am doing A-Level physics exams and I know people doing other sciences and trust me there is so much maths on the papers. They expect you to just be able to do trig and circle geometry and rearranging formula very easily for very few marks as part of larger questions. If you do end up with a 4, it is definitely worth having a talk with someone at the sixth-form and seeing if you can twist their arm about taking Biology. It is unlikely they will completely forbid you from it, they'll probably just advise against it. They may even offer you some extra maths support. They may also recommend you resit.

You never know and you could still get a 5! But don't beat yourself up about it, I'm sure things will work out. Hope this helps and good luck for your paper 3! :smile:
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by JemmaSimmons
It depends on what path you want to follow at Uni. If you want to do something that is heavily maths oriented then it might be worth resitting if you get a 4, if not then leave it and focus on A-Levels.

If paper 3 goes better, you could still end up with a 5 or above overall. I'm pretty sure they're equally weighted papers. Just do your best and what will be will be. :smile:

Also, "easy" is relative and depends on the person. Some people will only say it was easy if they scored over 90% whereas others may do the converse of this. Don't go through all these post-exam digest threads, it will only make you freak out about something that is already done - and trust me, people are more likely to post in these threads if they liked the exam.

Also, you are definitely not the first person to make a mistake in exam, due to stress or otherwise. True story: I missed out the first question (luckily it was only a couple of marks) of my Chem 1 GCSE exam which was a basic dot and cross diagram because I just skipped to the first answer space (rather than the circles to draw on) that I saw and started from there. Don't be too hard on yourself. Also, just because you didn't get the answer doesn't mean you won't get method marks, and TSR can't predict how they will be awarded.

One thing I would say is that I understand why your sixth-form wants a 5 for a science subject - I am doing A-Level physics exams and I know people doing other sciences and trust me there is so much maths on the papers. They expect you to just be able to do trig and circle geometry and rearranging formula very easily for very few marks as part of larger questions. If you do end up with a 4, it is definitely worth having a talk with someone at the sixth-form and seeing if you can twist their arm about taking Biology. It is unlikely they will completely forbid you from it, they'll probably just advise against it. They may even offer you some extra maths support. They may also recommend you resit.

You never know and you could still get a 5! But don't beat yourself up about it, I'm sure things will work out. Hope this helps and good luck for your paper 3! :smile:

Thanks so much,this has definitely helped me relaxed from maths for a while.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending