The Student Room Group

Further Maths + 2 resits in 1 year??

I'll make this as simple as possible.

I wanna resit 2 of my A-levels (Maths and Physics) and also do A-level Further Maths (ideally Edexcel) all in one year. For FM modules I'm interested in doing CP1+2 and FM1+2.
How feasible is this? Say, if I start in June 2024 and submit UCAS application in November or December for September 2025 entry to study Mathematics.

I'm ready to treat this like a full-time job, studying as many hours per day as deemed necessary.

I'm currently doing AAT Level 3+4 at a top 25 firm in London

I wanted to also resit my 3rd A-level, English Lit., but I'm aware FM is a pretty hardcore subject, so 3 resits + an A-level that's generally regarded the equivalent of 2 A-levels may be a little strenuous.

Anyway, the point is.
Is this idea feasible?

Thanks!!!

(By the way, it's incredibly unlikely that I'll apply to Oxbridge so no real need to worry about MAT or STEP)
Original post by Al_the_Pal

I wanna resit 2 of my A-levels (Maths and Physics) and also do A-level Further Maths (ideally Edexcel) all in one year. For FM modules I'm interested in doing CP1+2 and FM1+2.
How feasible is this? Say, if I start in June 2024 and submit UCAS application in November or December for September 2025 entry to study Mathematics.

I'm ready to treat this like a full-time job, studying as many hours per day as deemed necessary.

I wanted to also resit my 3rd A-level, English Lit., but I'm aware FM is a pretty hardcore subject, so 3 resits + an A-level that's generally regarded the equivalent of 2 A-levels may be a little strenuous.

Anyway, the point is.
Is this idea feasible?

Thanks!!!

(By the way, it's incredibly unlikely that I'll apply to Oxbridge so no real need to worry about MAT or STEP)

There are certainly some schools which teach A level Maths in Year 12 and then A level Further Maths in Year 13 (rather than teaching them in parallel). That would certainly suggest that Further Maths can be learned in a year.

Doing two resits on top of that sounds achievable to me. (Assuming you didn't study them 10 years ago, gaining a grade U in each, meaning you'd effectively be learning them both from scratch.)
Reply 2
Original post by DataVenia
There are certainly some schools which teach A level Maths in Year 12 and then A level Further Maths in Year 13 (rather than teaching them in parallel). That would certainly suggest that Further Maths can be learned in a year.

Doing two resits on top of that sounds achievable to me. (Assuming you didn't study them 10 years ago, gaining a grade U in each, meaning you'd effectively be learning them both from scratch.)

i did those 2 A-levels under a year ago (definitely less than 10) but i only got C's. i'm determined to resit because i know i'm capable of more than a C in either subject - throughout Year 13 I was averaging an A in one and a B in the other so 2 C's was very disappointing.
Thanks for your response!
Reply 3
i did those 2 A-levels under a year ago (definitely less than 10) but i only got C's. i'm determined to resit because i know i'm capable of more than a C in either subject - throughout Year 13 I was averaging an A in one and a B in the other so 2 C's was very disappointing.
Thanks for your response!
I plan on doing the same because of some personal issues in yr13. How is it going for you and what did you end up doing?

Anyway, the point is.
Is this idea feasible?

Thanks!!!

Ok you’ll need reference for your predicted grades, what did you get in your actual a levels. Cos the base resit predicteds off this. For your refereee your gna have to go to a a college or a tuition centre. Sit a couple tests and they’ll give you a predicted grade. Icl I don’t think you’ll be able to apply in November w great predicteds so your gna have to wait till latest January, spend a couple months w your tutors or college and get your predicted grades then sit your actual a levels in the summer. Or you can just bin all that college nonsense off and just revise and learn on your own, maybe w some tutors here and there and apply w your actual new a levels in August of next year.

Quick Reply

Latest