The Student Room Group

Calculators

Hi, i'll be taking A level maths next year and im wondering whats the best calculator for it?

Preferably a calculator that can graph, solve quadratics and do simple integration

Scroll to see replies

Original post by ZdYnm8vuNR
Hi, i'll be taking A level maths next year and im wondering whats the best calculator for it?

Preferably a calculator that can graph, solve quadratics and do simple integration

Note that you're not allowed a calculator that can do symbolic differentiation and integration, but you can have one that does numerical definite integration. Anyway, I use the TI-84 Plus CE-T, which costs around £100.
Reply 2
Original post by Prasiortle
Note that you're not allowed a calculator that can do symbolic differentiation and integration, but you can have one that does numerical definite integration. Anyway, I use the TI-84 Plus CE-T, which costs around £100.

Is it allowed in the official exams?
Just use a Casio fx-82ms. A classic that never grows old.

Also, you can hack it so it can calculate integrals, derivatives, determinants of matrix es... Just search on youtube "how to hack a Casio fx-82ms calculator" (it only works with thefx-82ms model, you can't hack the fx-82ms plus model)
Ti-84 or the like for your graphing and statistics usage, and a Casio FX991-ES Plus, which is much more intuitive for all your numerical calculations.
Trust me, you don't have to spend 100 plus dollars on a calculator. I haven't coursed A levels, I did the Spanish equivalent of A levels, but I have just checked the syllabus for A levels and it is almost the same (the only difference is that at A levels you go deeper on statistics than in Spain, whereas I have done tridimensional geometry and people don't do that at A level maths), and I have always used a normal 10 euro (about 7 pounds) calculator, because in Spain you can't use a calculator that does integration, derivation or anything further than logarithms, powers and roots. So, as I have said, you will probably just need a normal calculator.
Is it allowed in the official exams?

Yes, it's allowed because it can't do symbolic algebra or calculus, as I alluded to in my previous post.
Reply 7
Original post by MatthewMcColl
Ti-84 or the like for your graphing and statistics usage, and a Casio FX991-ES Plus, which is much more intuitive for all your numerical calculations.

I second this, both calculators I've used over my a-levels.

If you are doing A level maths in England the minimum scientific calculator required is the Casio EX classwiz

Don't Buy a graphical calculator until you find out whether your school requires you to have a specific model or can get one for you at a discounted price.
Reply 9
Original post by Stakanovicius
Trust me, you don't have to spend 100 plus dollars on a calculator. I haven't coursed A levels, I did the Spanish equivalent of A levels, but I have just checked the syllabus for A levels and it is almost the same (the only difference is that at A levels you go deeper on statistics than in Spain, whereas I have done tridimensional geometry and people don't do that at A level maths), and I have always used a normal 10 euro (about 7 pounds) calculator, because in Spain you can't use a calculator that does integration, derivation or anything further than logarithms, powers and roots. So, as I have said, you will probably just need a normal calculator.

For a level, you need to be able to do a minimum of a classwiz, the normal 10 pound calculator is not allowed. (Doesnt have some of the statistic distrubuitions etc)
I used a TI-84 Plus and a Casio fx 991 ES Plus for my C3 C4 exams (which I should add I got 100s for :P). And to be honest, the £100 calculator only helped for like 1 question. It's more useful for further maths when you're given more complicated functions that you should not be expected to graph. And what you can do with the TI-84 is just graph them and see useful features like the turning points and stuff like that.

The 991 ES Plus is one I definitely recommend to my students, because it's just beast. You can solve algebraic equations, do definite differentiation and integration so you can use it double check practically everything. So in theory, if there are 10 questions in the paper then that calculator should nab you 10 guaranteed marks.

PM me if you want more instructions on how to use the fx 991 efficiently when your exam season comes by
For a level, you need to be able to do a minimum of a classwiz, the normal 10 pound calculator is not allowed. (Doesnt have some of the statistic distrubuitions etc)

Oh, I see. Sorry If what I said before was bs. The maximum complexity I reached in statistics was the normal and binomial distributions, and it is true that you can't represent the normal distribution on a 10 pound calculators, but in the final exams in Spain the examiners give you the normal distribution chart, hence why in Spain all calculators that can graph are not allowed
Original post by rlyneedtostudy
I used a TI-84 Plus and a Casio fx 991 ES Plus for my C3 C4 exams (which I should add I got 100s for :P). And to be honest, the £100 calculator only helped for like 1 question. It's more useful for further maths when you're given more complicated functions that you should not be expected to graph. And what you can do with the TI-84 is just graph them and see useful features like the turning points and stuff like that.

The 991 ES Plus is one I definitely recommend to my students, because it's just beast. You can solve algebraic equations, do definite differentiation and integration so you can use it double check practically everything. So in theory, if there are 10 questions in the paper then that calculator should nab you 10 guaranteed marks.

PM me if you want more instructions on how to use the fx 991 efficiently when your exam season comes by

The FX-991's equation solver isn't as capable as the TI-84's, and the TI-84 also has a linear simultaneous equation solver that can handle up to 10 linear equations in 10 variables, whereas the FX-991 can only do 5 or 6, I think. Obviously the FX-991 can't sketch graphs, nor can it access e.g. cumulative binomial or Student's t-distribution probabilities.

Original post by Stakanovicius
Oh, I see. Sorry If what I said before was bs. The maximum complexity I reached in statistics was the normal and binomial distributions, and it is true that you can't represent the normal distribution on a 10 pound calculators, but in the final exams in Spain the examiners give you the normal distribution chart, hence why in Spain all calculators that can graph are not allowed

Here in the UK, for the old A-Level, students used to be given tables of normal and binomial probabilities, but in the new A-Level (for which the first exams are being taken right now), these tables are no longer provided, and students are expected to have calculators that can find these probabilities.
Lol, no need to spend £100 on a calculator.
Many use the casio fx-991ex plus, or 991ex classwiz
both can do absolutely everything you need for a level that is allowed
max £25
Original post by EnterUsername.
Lol, no need to spend £100 on a calculator.
Many use the casio fx-991ex plus, or 991ex classwiz
both can do absolutely everything you need for a level that is allowed
max £25

The FX-991 isn't sufficient for A-Level. The Classwiz is sufficient, but a graphical calculator is still extremely useful, for reasons I have explained in previous posts.
The FX-991 isn't sufficient for A-Level. The Classwiz is sufficient, but a graphical calculator is still extremely useful, for reasons I have explained in previous posts.

They literally do the same things not normal fx-991 but the fx-991es-plus i was talking about, the new one, uses a QR code too and updated display

Side note, you can play basic video games on that!
Original post by EnterUsername.
They literally do the same things not normal fx-991 but the fx-991es-plus i was talking about, the new one, uses a QR code too and updated display

In any case, neither of the calculators you mentioned can sketch graphs, solve simultaneous equations in up to 10 variables, access probabilities from a whole range of distributions, etc.
Original post by Luke5125
Side note, you can play basic video games on that!

Yes, there is a fairly active community of people who write programs for TI calculators. Do note, though, that obviously in an exam you will be asked to clear the memory of the calculator, so that any stored information or programs cannot be used to give you an unfair advantage.
In any case, neither of the calculators you mentioned can sketch graphs, solve simultaneous equations in up to 10 variables, access probabilities from a whole range of distributions, etc.

the question is though, do you need it to 10 variables, and sketch graphs - rather than work through the content, and do everything else, instead of splashing out £100.
Got 298/300 using my trusty fx-991ex plus - does everything that a solid calc should

Quick Reply

Latest