The Student Room Group

Best UKCat resources 2019 entry

I’m in a bit of a dilemma of which resource to use as I’m stuck between medify and the isc 1000q book. I have been told several times that the book is absolutely hard and demotivating. But the medify one is more realistic however I heard the abstract is rubbish on medify.
I’m more of a visual learner who uses videos so that’s why I’m leaning towards medify.
Any advice which one is better in preparation of the ukcat
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

Bump
medify definitely
Original post by hello2906
medify definitely

So not the isc book
Btw does medify have videos that explain each section of ukcat
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by officialzak_2001
So not the isc book
Btw does medify have videos that explain each section of ukcat

ideally use them both, and yes
I’m in a bit of a dilemma of which resource to use as I’m stuck between medify and the isc 1000q book. I have been told several times that the book is absolutely hard and demotivating. But the medify one is more realistic however I heard the abstract is rubbish on medify.
I’m more of a visual learner who uses videos so that’s why I’m leaning towards medify.
Any advice which one is better in preparation of the ukcat

I used multiple books and I found the Kaplan UKCAT book is the most realistic and similar in difficultly to the real thing, but the ics book is good to do lots of harder questions. Ideally get both of those. Use the UKCAT website to do practise and mock questions which will be in the same format to the realt thing, and it’s free which is great.
I'd definitely recommend you medify! I had my ukcat 3 days ago and I found the questions pretty similar
Original post by atrombetta1
I'd definitely recommend you medify! I had my ukcat 3 days ago and I found the questions pretty similar

Did u use the isc book
How did it go
How long did u use medify for
(edited 5 years ago)
Did u use the isc book
How did it go
How long did u use medify for

I used the isc book during the first week but I think it's way too difficult compared to the actual test, most of all the QR and DM sections.
Then I used Medify for a month
my results
VR: 540
DM: 630
QR: 670
AR: 720
SJ band 1

VR was a bit harder in the real thing, also because it's the first section
DM similar to medify and official mocks (on UKCAT website)
QR sooooo much easier in the real thing! During the mocks I barely had 550 in this section but I got 670 on the exam
AR was my worst section when I started preparing for the UKCAT but if you practise you'll understand it. It was really similar to the official mocks.
SJ imo it was really simple, I found it really similar either to medify questions and official mocks
I used the isc book during the first week but I think it's way too difficult compared to the actual test, most of all the QR and DM sections.
my results
SJ band 1

QR sooooo much easier in the real thing! During the mocks I barely had 550 in this section but I got 670 on the exam
AR was my worst section when I started preparing for the UKCAT but if you practise you'll understand it. It was really similar to the official mocks.
SJ imo it was really simple, I found it really similar either to medify questions and official mocks

Thanks and well done on your scores

I’m finding abstract reasoning difficult imo and have u got any tips that will be beneficial
Thanks and well done on your scores

I’m finding abstract reasoning difficult imo and have u got any tips that will be beneficial

Try to use the SPONCS method. It worked for me to start understanding patterns. When you get them, it's all about practising!
Shape
Pattern
Orientation
Number of sides
Colour
Symmetry
Reply 11
Medic Portal Free Question Bank!! Honestly all you need, no idea why no one else recommends it. Thats all I used last year and I thought it was excellent. Their free mocks were pretty accurate to both within 10 marks of my actual score (710 band 1)
my results
SJ band 1

Congratulations on ur scores !!!
How many questions would you say that you couldn’t find the pattern for in AR and that you just guessed.
Original post by Bidachanee
Congratulations on ur scores !!!
How many questions would you say that you couldn’t find the pattern for in AR and that you just guessed.

Thank you!! I guessed about 7 or 10 questions I think
Reply 14
Hi vvpr1, I have my ukcat in 2 and a half weeks and I have finished all the questions from the books I have bought (isc and kaplan and used medic portal free resources) can you recommend any good books or online resources?
Thank you,
Hannah
Get medify! It seems pricey by its so worth it as long as you use it loads. It has tutorial thingies and loads of practises. I had my UKCAT today and would not have done well without medify. I also used the 1250Q book which was good and the free official online resources. Good luck!
Original post by 28hc
Hi vvpr1, I have my ukcat in 2 and a half weeks and I have finished all the questions from the books I have bought (isc and kaplan and used medic portal free resources) can you recommend any good books or online resources?
Thank you,
Hannah
Original post by ellathenerd
Get medify! It seems pricey by its so worth it as long as you use it loads. It has tutorial thingies and loads of practises. I had my UKCAT today and would not have done well without medify. I also used the 1250Q book which was good and the free official online resources. Good luck!

How did it go
How did it go

VR: 630
DM:790
QR: 860
AR: 800
SJ: band 3
av: 770

i ended up doing better than I had in practise tbh
Original post by ellathenerd
VR: 630
DM:790
QR: 860
AR: 800
SJ: band 3
av: 770

i ended up doing better than I had in practise tbh

Was the test similar to medify because I’m struggling with their abstract and doing quantitative reasoning in timed conditions
Was the test similar to medify because I’m struggling with their abstract and doing quantitative reasoning in timed conditions

Medify’s QR I found much harder than the actual test- I never even got close to finishing in timed conditions but in the actual thing it literally wanted 1 calculation per question and didnt need a bunch of steps. It seemed far more straight forward in the actual thing. I think AR was about the same- maybe I had a bit more time left over in the actual thing. Just do loads of practise for AR and it gets much easier

Latest

Trending

Trending