The Student Room Group

Love Island: Does the show have a race, age and body diversity problem?

Scroll to see replies

Reply 60
i've already said i'm not pro diversity on Love Island, so no one here get excited. but i think some of us don't understand how casting works. casting is not based on who applies. casting works backwards. the casting crew already knows how many white people it will hire, how many non-white, etc. etc. a white person could never fill the role of a black person. a fat person could never fill the role of a thin one. it's predetermined so the creators get the show they want, so anyone supposing this is 'equality of opportunity' based on who applies is delusional.

secondly, representation does not mean 'proportionate to society'. it can never be proportionate because TV is made of individuals creating individual programming, and shows are based on specific scenarios. if a show is about an asian family in an all asian neighbourhood, guess what the cast is going to look like. moreover, if the cast only has 7 people in it and 1 person is non-white, the cast is automatically disproportionate. representation just means someone is there to represent your community; proportionality is not realistic or even desired by TV producers. however, i do think it's sad that the 'token minority' is there to represent all ethnic minorities, as if there are only 2 camps (whites and non-whites).
Reply 61
Original post by Underscore__
Perhaps she is mixed, but it means she’s not white. Eyal is Jewish, ‘Jewish’ are generally considered an ethnicity. Where have you arrived at that conclusion about Niall? If you look on Instagram you’ll see pictures of him with family who you can see don’t like white, however his mum is white. Clearly you’re just making guesses.

Even if we assume that all of your guesses are correct that would lead to 9 of the 38 being non white which equates to 23% non white, around twice as frequent as non whites occur in the general population.

So you’re insinuating that all of the people in the house with the exception of Frankie are ‘colourist’?

I'm not saying they're colourist (why the brackets) but its clear that everyone in there has preferences in terms of race overwhelmingly not towards ethnic minorities.
how else are you finding out this stuff without guessing, how did you figure jack wasn't white? and tbh I wouldn't call a Jewish person an ethnic minority. Also, why are we looking at it as ethnic minorities as opposed to looking more specifically at what ethnicities? Large number of mixed/light skin people as opposed to darker skinned people. I mean use Niall as an example of idk what you think he is Asian/Pakistani? why use a mixed person as opposed to a darker one?
Original post by yusyus
I'm not saying they're colourist (why the brackets) but its clear that everyone in there has preferences in terms of race overwhelmingly not towards ethnic minorities.
how else are you finding out this stuff without guessing, how did you figure jack wasn't white? and tbh I wouldn't call a Jewish person an ethnic minority. Also, why are we looking at it as ethnic minorities as opposed to looking more specifically at what ethnicities? Large number of mixed/light skin people as opposed to darker skinned people. I mean use Niall as an example of idk what you think he is Asian/Pakistani? why use a mixed person as opposed to a darker one?

So because one of the contestants on the show wasn’t chosen by the one ‘single’ girl that shows that the preference of everyone is not ethnic minorities? What about all of the other people on the show who are ethnic minorities who have found partners?

I remember hearing someone say Jack was mixed, however I could find anything to substantiate it hence why I let it go, I’ve only counted the people that I know aren’t white. I haven’t just looked at them and made random guesses.

2 of the 38 have been darker skinned black people, that equates to 5.2% which is almost twice as frequently as all black people, light or dark, appear in the general population so they’re still being overrepresented.

As for why there are few Asian people on the show; I don’t know, there could have been fewer applications, they could have not performed as well during the application process or the casting directors at the company producing Love Island could be racist, who knows.
Reply 63
So because one of the contestants on the show wasn’t chosen by the one ‘single’ girl that shows that the preference of everyone is not ethnic minorities? What about all of the other people on the show who are ethnic minorities who have found partners?

I remember hearing someone say Jack was mixed, however I could find anything to substantiate it hence why I let it go, I’ve only counted the people that I know aren’t white. I haven’t just looked at them and made random guesses.

2 of the 38 have been darker skinned black people, that equates to 5.2% which is almost twice as frequently as all black people, light or dark, appear in the general population so they’re still being overrepresented.

As for why there are few Asian people on the show; I don’t know, there could have been fewer applications, they could have not performed as well during the application process or the casting directors at the company producing Love Island could be racist, who knows.

Yes, but when I talk about darker skinned people I am not just talking about black people I am talking about darker skinned Asians like Sri Lankans, Indians. I mean I can't say for sure but it's worrying that there are so many more lighter skinned/mixed contestants than darker skinned ones.

I am not talking about Idris solely but am also referring to Samiras experience. And obviously, not everyone chosen had that preference since Samira did end up in a couple after all this time but its clear the majority of people do have the preference.

With 85,000 applicants or whatever I'm sure there wasn't a shortage of Asian applicants I'm not even sure if I would call it diversity if you have someone who looks white with a tan
Original post by yusyus
Yes, but when I talk about darker skinned people I am not just talking about black people I am talking about darker skinned Asians like Sri Lankans, Indians. I mean I can't say for sure but it's worrying that there are so many more lighter skinned/mixed contestants than darker skinned ones.

I am not talking about Idris solely but am also referring to Samiras experience. And obviously, not everyone chosen had that preference since Samira did end up in a couple after all this time but its clear the majority of people do have the preference.

With 85,000 applicants or whatever I'm sure there wasn't a shortage of Asian applicants I'm not even sure if I would call it diversity if you have someone who looks white with a tan

But what about Megan, Laura, Kaz and Georgia? All have either ended up with someone who’s an ethnic minority or, in the case of Georgia, repeatedly said her type is light skinned black guys. You seem keen to dismiss all light skinned people from being ethnic minorities. None of the light skinned people look like whites people with a sun tan.

You can’t be sure that there wasn’t a shortage of applications, you don’t know. I would suggest that there would have been proportionately fewer applications from south Asians. You can’t be sure of the cause of the lack of South Asian people but it appears you’re off the opinion that it caused by some form of racism
This is a show about hook ups, sex and the search for love. It is what it says on the tin.

So it is completely absurd to complain about the lack of diversity, specifically (as someone said) south Asian women.

How would that work? Some babe in a burka sitting on her own by the pool saying no-one could ever "crack on" with her because they weren't Muslim and she can't talk to anyone before she gets married, let alone "hook up" with them?

Ridiculous.

Sure it would reflect the "diversity" of the country which everyone pretends to believe is the ultimate good. But it wouldn't fit the premise of the show. Love Island reflects post modern western sexual mores, completely antithetical to those transplanted from South Asia (not just Muslim btw).
Reply 66
But what about Megan, Laura, Kaz and Georgia? All have either ended up with someone who’s an ethnic minority or, in the case of Georgia, repeatedly said her type is light skinned black guys. You seem keen to dismiss all light skinned people from being ethnic minorities. None of the light skinned people look like whites people with a sun tan.

You can’t be sure that there wasn’t a shortage of applications, you don’t know. I would suggest that there would have been proportionately fewer applications from south Asians. You can’t be sure of the cause of the lack of South Asian people but it appears you’re off the opinion that it caused by some form of racism

A lot of the light skin people look mixed and im not dismissing them as not ethnic minorities I think they have done well in representing them but there is a lack of darker skinned people and people who are attracted to darker skinned people. Going by your list Niall looks exactly like he could be a white person who tans a lot.
What I'm saying is looking at ethnic minorities as a whole vs whites won't be too useful as you are right they are overrepresented. As of recent lighter skin women/men have been viewed as more attractive than darker skinned men/women.

No we can't say why there aren't any south Asians on the show but there definitely is a lack of them which isn't good imo. I can't imagine in any way shape or form there weren't suitable south Asian applicants in the whole 85000 applicant pool.
there is a lack of diversity of IQ.... they are all in the range 70 to 90

smh
Original post by the bear
there is a lack of diversity of IQ.... they are all in the range 70 to 90

smh

Something tells me you don't actually watch the show! One cast member is an A+E Doctor and another gives policy advice to Damien Hinds (having previously worked for Michael Gove).

I have had so many arguments with people who dislike this TV programme whilst never having watched it. It is like having strong views on a play in the west end on the basis of a bad review in the Times. How do you know it has no merit?

Actually it does have great merit. The production values and editing are top notch, it is visually stunning, and it beats any play you would go to see for drama. Including Shakespeare. (Granted it doesn't have the poetry!)

The only reason to be bored by Love Island is if you aren't interested in human nature, in human psychology, human relationships. If sexual jealousy bores you, if cheating on partners and stealing someone elses man or woman is of no interest then I can see it might not appeal. Because that is what it is all about. The human condition.

Anyone I have recommended the show to who has watched more than a couple of episodes has become hooked. It is televisual crack cocaine, yes, but also TV as an art form.

Brilliant.
Love Island has a problem with showering publicity upon those who least deserve fame or attention.
Reality TV at its very worst, a platform highlighting the worst elements present in the human race.
A feast of the loutish, the vicious, the back stabbers, the trouble makers and the most inane of attention seekers.
Original post by generallee
and another gives policy advice to Damien Hinds (having previously worked for Michael Gove).

:rofl:
:rofl:

Well she has worked in both their private offices. That doesn't prove she is in the Fast Stream of course, but those are the kind of jobs they tend to give them early in their careers.

And even if she isn't, she clearly can't hold down such a job with an IQ of 70!
Original post by generallee
Well she has worked in both their private offices. That doesn't prove she is in the Fast Stream of course, but those are the kind of jobs they tend to give them early in their careers.

And even if she isn't, she clearly can't hold down such a job with an IQ of 70!

i agree... she is probably at the upper end of the range i mentioned

:yep:
i agree... she is probably at the upper end of the range i mentioned

:yep:

She's sharp as a tack, and very hot as well. I definitely would, and reckon she'd be up for a chat on the deontological moral theory of what we had just done as we relaxed afterwards, although I agree the editors cut that sort of stuff out of LI.

You need to lose your metropolitan snobbery mate, it is television gold. And that horny webcam girl, Meghan is something else too. You can find some of her work on the web, not that I have looked obviously.
The show is a problem, end of story.
Reply 75
speaking of diversity .. I can't help but notice another lack of diversity this year

It's like attack of the clones....

we've had..
3 Alex's
2 Sam's
2 charlie's
2 ellie's
2 jacks
2 Josh's
2 laura's...

I mean seriously?

it's gotten ****ing ridiculous........

literally half the cast is a doppelganger
They certainly should. The Page 3 cover up was a sad capitulation to a dreary combination of lefty puritanism and snowflakery.

Page 3 girls will be made to wear burkas next...
Original post by yusyus
A lot of the light skin people look mixed and im not dismissing them as not ethnic minorities I think they have done well in representing them but there is a lack of darker skinned people and people who are attracted to darker skinned people. Going by your list Niall looks exactly like he could be a white person who tans a lot.
What I'm saying is looking at ethnic minorities as a whole vs whites won't be too useful as you are right they are overrepresented. As of recent lighter skin women/men have been viewed as more attractive than darker skinned men/women.

He doesn’t look like a shore person who tans a lot but I suppose that’s a matter of opinion we’re not going to agree on.

Original post by yusyus
No we can't say why there aren't any south Asians on the show but there definitely is a lack of them which isn't good imo. I can't imagine in any way shape or form there weren't suitable south Asian applicants in the whole 85000 applicant pool.

I wouldn’t say it’s good that there are few south Asian people but I wouldn’t necessarily say it’s bad. What you’re saying is misleading; you’re making out as though 85,000 south Asian people applied and the show didn’t cast a single one. 85,000 people applied, x percent of which are south Asian, none were cast (yet). Perhaps there were plenty who were ‘suitable’ but perhaps none were in the 38 best applicants.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 79
Original post by TheAlchemistress

I linked this video about a week ago in the official love island thread :biggrin:

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending