The Student Room Group

Liberal-Conservative vs Conservative-Liberal

What the difference between liberal-conservative and conservative-liberal?
A liberal conservative is a conservative that’s liberal on social issues- eg David Cameron and Theresa May

A conservative liberal is a liberal that’s conservative on social issues such Nigel Farage and Jacob Rees Mogg (they also use the label classical liberal)
Original post by Davij038
A liberal conservative is a conservative that’s liberal on social issues- eg David Cameron and Theresa May

A conservative liberal is a liberal that’s conservative on social issues such Nigel Farage and Jacob Rees Mogg (they also use the label classical liberal)

So David Cameron believe in big government and high taxes?
Original post by AnxiousAtypical
So David Cameron believe in big government and high taxes?

No he believes in liberal Social issues like gay marriage, multiculturalism and liberal values rather than conservative ones.
No he believes in liberal Social issues like gay marriage, multiculturalism and liberal values rather than conservative ones.

He has very contrastive hypocritical ideologies. He hates war veterans, the disabled, homelessness and the working but loves immigrants, refugees, Muslims, EU and the EU. He’s the reason why the Conservative Party is more of corrupt political corrrctness bordering communist party and Teresa May just finished what he started. Labour in no longer for the working class.
He has very contrastive hypocritical ideologies. He hates war veterans, the disabled, homelessness and the working but loves immigrants, refugees, Muslims, EU and the EU. He’s the reason why the Conservative Party is more of corrupt political corrrctness bordering communist party and Teresa May just finished what he started. Labour in no longer for the working class.

That’s all true, although I’d say he’s indifferent to them rather than outright hates. Cameron doesn’t really believe in anything kinda like Boris . Him and Osborne basically believed that the only way they could win was to be like Blair.
What the difference between liberal-conservative and conservative-liberal?

Liberal conservatives are basically conservative in name- they believe little/none of the conservative social provisions IE stronger border checks more defence spending less foreign aid .etc I refer to these people as right wing social justice warriors they may be economically competent- not brilliant but competent people like Theresa May Anna Soubry Ken Clarke , Cameron or Osborne fit in this area

Then you have the libertarians who are more socially conservative on things such as immigration, foreign aid and increased defence spending merged with a cut of government bureaucracy, and public sector quangos to help better manage our money- people who fit in this branch are Nigel Farage, Mark Reckless, Thatcher, David Davis and maybe at a push Priti Patel
Original post by You Kipper
Liberal conservatives are basically conservative in name- they believe little/none of the conservative social provisions IE stronger border checks more defence spending less foreign aid .etc I refer to these people as right wing social justice warriors they may be economically competent- not brilliant but competent people like Theresa May Anna Soubry Ken Clarke , Cameron or Osborne fit in this area

Then you have the libertarians who are more socially conservative on things such as immigration, foreign aid and increased defence spending merged with a cut of government bureaucracy, and public sector quangos to help better manage our money- people who fit in this branch are Nigel Farage, Mark Reckless, Thatcher, David Davis and maybe at a push Priti Patel

David Cameron and George Osborne are both posh and snotty ***** you’d find in tea rooms

Boris Johnson and Nigel Ferage sound posh but they don’t snooty and they’re the kind of people you’d find in pub drinking beer

Boris Johnson and Nigel Ferage sound posh but they don’t snooty and they’re the kind of people you’d find in pub drinking beer

Boris and Nigel have a persona, or appear likeable. They’re not your Everyman though, it’s just an act. Nigel drinks expensive red wine in private and Boris is a ‘nasty piece of work’ - I don’t mind either of them- Nigel I used to dislike a lot but he’s gone up a peg recently.

Also Theresa May is not competent at anything, neither were Dave and George other than spin- Ken Clarke is probably the only genuinely talented liberal conservative I can think of, but he’s kind of a relic.
Boris and Nigel have a persona, or appear likeable. They’re not your Everyman though, it’s just an act. Nigel drinks expensive red wine in private and Boris is a ‘nasty piece of work’ - I don’t mind either of them- Nigel I used to dislike a lot but he’s gone up a peg recently.

Also Theresa May is not competent at anything, neither were Dave and George other than spin- Ken Clarke is probably the only genuinely talented liberal conservative I can think of, but he’s kind of a relic.

Farage would destroy Ken Clarke in a debate in fact any of the ones you mentioned. Ken Clarke is just a virtue signaller
Farage would destroy Ken Clarke in a debate in fact any of the ones you mentioned. Ken Clarke is just a virtue signaller

Sure, but being a competent politician doesn’t mean just being a good debater. Nigel Farage is probably the best debater in U.K. politics sure.

No: I’ve got a lot of respect for Ken. He gets a bad press at times and can come across badly but he gets on very well with a lot of brexiteers and actually has said he agrees with Nigel on a lot of things. But above all he’s consistent and fair. I have far more respect for Ken who consistently voted against holding a referendum and still opposes it rather than these cucks who voted for it thinking they’d win and now want to change the result.,
Sure, but being a competent politician doesn’t mean just being a good debater. Nigel Farage is probably the best debater in U.K. politics sure.

No: I’ve got a lot of respect for Ken. He gets a bad press at times and can come across badly but he gets on very well with a lot of brexiteers and actually has said he agrees with Nigel on a lot of things. But above all he’s consistent and fair. I have far more respect for Ken who consistently voted against holding a referendum and still opposes it rather than these cucks who voted for it thinking they’d win and now want to change the result.,

There is no doubt in my mind that Nigel would make a great primeminister- Ken Clarke just one of those who I'd love to punch the bloke is a europhile and probably wants us to join the Euro
There is no doubt in my mind that Nigel would make a great primeminister- Ken Clarke just one of those who I'd love to punch the bloke is a europhile and probably wants us to join the Euro

He was one of the main people who campaigned for us to join the euro! What an odd thing to want to want to punch someone for...
He was one of the main people who campaigned for us to join the euro! What an odd thing to want to want to punch someone for...

Would you like to join the euro? We was told it would be a disaster if we didn't and then people like Ken Clarke who seem to be brought and paid for by George Soros we then went on to be one of lesser countries impacted by the financial crisis
Would you like to join the euro? We was told it would be a disaster if we didn't and then people like Ken Clarke who seem to be brought and paid for by George Soros we then went on to be one of lesser countries impacted by the financial crisis

No, but I think there’s far worse things going on in our country.

Sure. You don’t have to be a paid by Soros but it probably helps.
He has very contrastive hypocritical ideologies. He hates war veterans, the disabled,

How can David Cameron hate the disabled when his own son is disabled? You are talking out of your rear posterior.
Reply 16
A conservative liberal is usually someone who is economically liberal but socially conservative, this could historically mean someone who supported taking away the land privileges of the Church and handing them over to the free market, but still supported many socially conservative policies such as homophobia.

A liberal conservative is someone who's coming from the Conservative wing but is trying to attract centrist voters. A lot of people here have mentioned David Cameron and I think he's probably a good example of this.
I'm not sold on what some of the people consider a conservative Liberal.

Basically if you think of Gladstone (pro-free trade, anti tax, pro social issues of the day but imperialist, a fan of the church and eugenicist) then that is an extreme example of a conservative Liberal.

Cameron bar his belief in morality and the big society (which is why he claimed to be of One Nation thought) is closer to being a good example of a liberal Conservative.

May with a significant belief in morality within politics and open to what could be considered social democrat economic policies is an outright modern One Nation Conservative albeit further left than i for example. Her liberal strain primarily comes from her social justice beliefs via modern feminism.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending