The Student Room Group

Would schools take offence to this?

Genuine question guys.

I am about to submit a lesson online about reproduction and I remember back in sixth form, we were told about a lizard called the New Mexico Whiptail Lizard AKA the "Lesbian Lizard" because the species is 100% female.

Would schools take offence to me calling it the Lesbian Lizard?

Reason I ask is because the teacher who taught it to us and the method stuck simply with that name. =l

Students will be GCSE level.
(edited 5 years ago)
Original post by Scienceisgood
Genuine question guys.

I am about to submit a lesson online about reproduction and I remember back in sixth form, we were told about a lizard called the New Mexico Whiptail Lizard AKA the "Lesbian Lizard" because the species is 100% female.

Would schools take offence to me calling it the Lesbian Lizard?

Reason I ask is because the teacher who taught it to us and the method stuck simply with that name. =l

Students will be GCSE level.

If it is known as that, then its ok but you could also use an abbreviation and call it the NW Lizard or NWL.
I doubt they'd take offence. There's nothing wrong or undesirable or inappropriate about lesbianism and in this case it seems to be biological fact, assuming the lizards go through some kind of sexual reproduction process.
Original post by anosmianAcrimony
I doubt they'd take offence. There's nothing wrong or undesirable or inappropriate about lesbianism and in this case it seems to be biological fact, assuming the lizards go through some kind of sexual reproduction process.

As far as I’m aware, they will have sex to stimulate ovulation but that’s about it.
However, where both lizards are female, one can not impregnate the other. 😐

As the lizard must reproduce through asexual reproduction.
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 4
Original post by anosmianAcrimony

They can change gender if really required
Original post by Vinny C
They can change gender if really required

As far as I’m aware, that doesn’t happen in this species.
Yes, I know it has been documented in many a species.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending