The Student Room Group

I'm so stuck on what to do

During exam season, it was so tough yet I had worked my butt off all my exams. I did everything I possibly could and when I opened my results, I was utterly shattered.

I was given grade D for all 3 of my subjects and honestly, I just cried my heart out. I was not expecting to get this. It's technically a pass but I certainly don't consider it as one.

I did 3 A-levels which were English Literature, English Language and Sociology and my genuine gut feeling was that I did well. I thought I'd get at least a B, B and a C but that clearly wasn't the case.

I'm so hurt by this and I'm so stuck on what to do, I previously decided to take a gap year which I'm glad for doing now because emotionally and mentally, I need a break from education. But I don't understand how I've been graded so low, I know in my heart that I did well, I know I did but looking at that result paper, just brings my self-esteem to absolutely nothing.
Reply 1
Honestly, I feel the same!
I worked so hard and my grades were just not aligning!!! Unfortunately I don't even have the privilege of getting my exams remarked because my dad is just against it. But if you can get a remark, I'd advise doing it. If you really feel you need a 'break', take one. But make sure you have a plan for that whole year out and for the years to come. I personally have never wanted to take a gap year so I've entered clearing and still managed to secure a place at a russel group.
You seem to be leaning towards a gap year, but finding a clearing degree that you never thought of, but have researched and could be interested in is possible too! If you decide to do that, make sure you go to Uni with a motivated spirit and
forget about the tragedies at A level.
Can I ask what you wanted to study?
Reply 2
Original post by Aknwsfg
Honestly, I feel the same!
I worked so hard and my grades were just not aligning!!! Unfortunately I don't even have the privilege of getting my exams remarked because my dad is just against it. But if you can get a remark, I'd advise doing it. If you really feel you need a 'break', take one. But make sure you have a plan for that whole year out and for the years to come. I personally have never wanted to take a gap year so I've entered clearing and still managed to secure a place at a russel group.
You seem to be leaning towards a gap year, but finding a clearing degree that you never thought of, but have researched and could be interested in is possible too! If you decide to do that, make sure you go to Uni with a motivated spirit and
forget about the tragedies at A level.
Can I ask what you wanted to study?

The course I wanted to study was teaching in a primary school and with grades on one hand, they do want to see that you've done work experience and gained an insight in a schooling environment.

So during my gap year, I was had made a plan to work in a primary school near me to volunteer so I stick to doing that. And on top of that, working elsewhere for more experience in the 'outside world' so that I can have a 'better' advantage really. So I'm hoping that they don't focus solely on my poor grades and see that I can be fit to be in that course with the experience I've had during my gap year.

Honestly I didn't want to take the route to do clearing because this year has been so tough on me. During exam season, I heard the news of my baby brother who was in my mother's stomach, have many abnormalities and a few days later, I had to witness my family crumble when he had to die before him getting the chance to live a life with us.

With what I've been through, I don't have the heart to go to university this year, I feel as though I won't be able to cope and then be held back as I'm emotionally and mentally not in the 'right' minset.

Right now, my initial plan is to get my papers remarked, especially with 2 of my humanities subjects (English Literature and Language), I'm possibly hoping they can consider giving me better grade or at least raising it up to a C.

But thank you so much for your encouragement, it's been a tough journey and something we don't want to experience again. But I hope things go well for you and hope you go on to do more incredible things in the future from now :smile:
Reply 3
Original post by imsodone
The course I wanted to study was teaching in a primary school and with grades on one hand, they do want to see that you've done work experience and gained an insight in a schooling environment.

So during my gap year, I was had made a plan to work in a primary school near me to volunteer so I stick to doing that. And on top of that, working elsewhere for more experience in the 'outside world' so that I can have a 'better' advantage really. So I'm hoping that they don't focus solely on my poor grades and see that I can be fit to be in that course with the experience I've had during my gap year.

Honestly I didn't want to take the route to do clearing because this year has been so tough on me. During exam season, I heard the news of my baby brother who was in my mother's stomach, have many abnormalities and a few days later, I had to witness my family crumble when he had to die before him getting the chance to live a life with us.

With what I've been through, I don't have the heart to go to university this year, I feel as though I won't be able to cope and then be held back as I'm emotionally and mentally not in the 'right' minset.

Right now, my initial plan is to get my papers remarked, especially with 2 of my humanities subjects (English Literature and Language), I'm possibly hoping they can consider giving me better grade or at least raising it up to a C.

But thank you so much for your encouragement, it's been a tough journey and something we don't want to experience again. But I hope things go well for you and hope you go on to do more incredible things in the future from now :smile:

Well that plan sounds great!

I'm sorry to hear about your baby brother.
I know this is quite insensitive to ask but did you inform the school of your extenuating circumstances?

Thank you for your kindness, I hope things go great for you as well!
These grades will not define us.
Reply 4
Original post by Aknwsfg
Well that plan sounds great!

I'm sorry to hear about your baby brother.
I know this is quite insensitive to ask but did you inform the school of your extenuating circumstances?

Thank you for your kindness, I hope things go great for you as well!
These grades will not define us.

I hope that despite my grades, I can still go on to the route of doing primary teaching at university so thank you for your kind words.

At the time, I didn't say anything as I held back and kept it to myself. As the news was sudden, I couldn't find the will to tell anybody about this so they didn't know about it.

And yes, these grades won't let us affect our journey from now on, it is just a phase but also a lesson. Thank you once again.
It’s a shame you couldn’t tell school. If your grades were lower than predicted, extenuating circumstances come in to play
Still, what’s done is done
Your dream is not over. It’s just beginning. You will find a way if you want it. The path looks different but your destination awaits!!
Make a plan, carry on working hard and you’ll get there. But please also look at clearing. You don’t have to take it but you may be surprised
Very good luck

So sorry to hear about your baby brother... Hope you and your family are ok.
Reply 7
Original post by Sammylou40
It’s a shame you couldn’t tell school. If your grades were lower than predicted, extenuating circumstances come in to play
Still, what’s done is done
Your dream is not over. It’s just beginning. You will find a way if you want it. The path looks different but your destination awaits!!
Make a plan, carry on working hard and you’ll get there. But please also look at clearing. You don’t have to take it but you may be surprised
Very good luck

It means a lot to me to read your words of encouragement, it's hard for me but somehow I'll try my best with the options that are available and hope that I can do study what I love and succeed.

And who knows, maybe a better route is waiting for me than the intial one so I won't lose all hope :smile:
Reply 8
Original post by AJ_3003
So sorry to hear about your baby brother... Hope you and your family are ok.

It really was heartbreaking to be first filled with overjoy then be crushed by the harsh reality. He would've been my first brother which I was always hoping for but it just wasn't meant to be.

We're truly trying our best, it's hard to live everyday, let alone waking up to do so but the only left to do is keep on living and allowing him to keep on growing in my heart.

Thank you for your words of condolence.
It really was heartbreaking to be first filled with overjoy then be crushed by the harsh reality. He would've been my first brother which I was always hoping for but it just wasn't meant to be.

We're truly trying our best, it's hard to live everyday, let alone waking up to do so but the only left to do is keep on living and allowing him to keep on growing in my heart.

Thank you for your words of condolence.

No worries, just keep him in your thoughts and he'll live on through you. He would've been lucky to have you to look after and care for him.
It means a lot to me to read your words of encouragement, it's hard for me but somehow I'll try my best with the options that are available and hope that I can do study what I love and succeed.

And who knows, maybe a better route is waiting for me than the intial one so I won't lose all hope :smile:

You can only ever try your best. And your best is good enough.
You will find a way.

Quick Reply

Latest