The Student Room Group

Civil Service Fast Stream 2018/19

Scroll to see replies

Anyone have any tips on the initial assesments? Particularly the situation response questions? How did those successful last year prepare for them?
I would recommend having a look through the Fast Stream competency framework, to get an idea of the kind of behaviours that are expected, and doing some practice tests, to get used to the format.
Reply 22
I'm currently on the Summer Diversity Internship programme so will get through directly to the FSAC. I'm most interested in the OR stream, but I found the application for their internship really tough despite being on a highly numerate degree etc. (maths and physics). 'Achieving impact with analysis' was particularly hard to evidence, I think. Does anyone have any tips about applying to GORS/the OR stream?
Hello all, best of luck with your applications this year! I know there are a few others on here already, but I'm also starting in October on the Generalist scheme. Honestly the student room and last years thread kept me going through glitches and arduous waits! Happy to try and help anyone with any questions!
Reply 24
Hi everyone. Just like many of you, I will be applying this year. Previously stumbled at the e-tray, any tips? Best of luck to all and I look forward to following this thread closely.
Hey folks! I've had a dig around but can't find any info on FS locations.

I'm tied down to a particular non-Lomdon city so I'm wondering if it's worth applying?
How do you get into this scheme. I really wanna ****ing get this so badly because im from a BAME background. I want to work mainly in Generalist but i have heard this scheme only accepts the elite.

Any tips whoever has done this (and probably from a bame background) got into this scheme???
Original post by ToastMonkey
Hey folks! I've had a dig around but can't find any info on FS locations.

I'm tied down to a particular non-Lomdon city so I'm wondering if it's worth applying?

The FS is nationwide, this year there's been postings so far up and down the country (Edinburgh, Dundee, Aberdeen, York, Manchester, Leeds, Portsmouth, Cardiff to name a few off the top of my head!). If you have a particular reason as to why you wouldn't want to relocate (health, caring commitments etc) the assignments team may give you a relocation restriction. Hopefully that helps :smile:
Original post by Quiet Benin
How do you get into this scheme. I really wanna ****ing get this so badly because im from a BAME background. I want to work mainly in Generalist but i have heard this scheme only accepts the elite.

Any tips whoever has done this (and probably from a bame background) got into this scheme???

Not from a BAME background, but not from an elite background either (state school, one parent low income household, first in my family to go to uni, did not go to Oxbridge). I think the CS have tried to push being more inclusive and I *believe* the stages are blind judged where possible although I could be wrong on this.

Good luck with your application!
Original post by TryingIsGood
Social Research, happy to answer any questions on the SRAC, as well as the application process more generally.

Hi there, I’ll be applying with social research as my first choice as I’m doing a social policy master’s this year! Would you be able to tell me (and others!) a bit about the e-tray exercise - what does it entail and is there any way to prepare or practice something similar beforehand? Also, do you happen to know how many people in the assessment centre go on to get a job offer? Thanks in advance!
Original post by london96
Hi there, I’ll be applying with social research as my first choice as I’m doing a social policy master’s this year! Would you be able to tell me (and others!) a bit about the e-tray exercise - what does it entail and is there any way to prepare or practice something similar beforehand? Also, do you happen to know how many people in the assessment centre go on to get a job offer? Thanks in advance!

Hello. I don't know how many got through the general assessment centre, but from the Social Research assessment centre (the final selection board for the SR stream) I was told about 75% were offered a job. Because the entry requirements (eg having a 2.1, and a specific degree) are higher for SR, the passmark at the first assessment centre will often be lower for this, and other analytical schemes, than the more open streams.

Difficult to give specific advice for the etray, but i'd say read all the guidance they give you on the website, and do some practice tests, to get use to the format. In the actual test, I found it useful to review all the information, before starting, to get idea of what sort of information was contained and where, so I could go back for details as I needed them, rather than trying to take it all in. When answering the questions, think about the competencies, as well as facts.
(edited 5 years ago)
Does anyone know which streams are harder to get on to and which are easier to get on to?My degree is Arts and Sciences, not very quantitative, so can't do the numeracy streams............cheers!
Original post by Giant Oreo
Does anyone know which streams are harder to get on to and which are easier to get on to?My degree is Arts and Sciences, not very quantitative, so can't do the numeracy streams............cheers!

Applying this year so this is just from my research/stalking last years discussion but I believe Houses of Parliament and Diplomatic are the hardest (something like less than the top 1% get in) but even the ‘easiest’ I believe is only the top 7% and I can’t remember which schemes (if I find the chart I’ll post it here so apologies for the lack of references!)

Edit to add reference - not the chart I was referencing and slightly old but one I think is still somewhat useful: https://www.instituteforgovernment.org.uk/blog/civil-service-fast-stream-seven-charts
(edited 5 years ago)
Reply 33
There really is no easy and no hard schemes to get into and you definitely should NOT pick schemes based on this.

44000 people applied for the 2018 cycle. Only 900 of us got in.

As of Monday I will be a proper Fast Streamer (ie first day in office) so any questions, please do ask
Reply 34
Original post by Quiet Benin

Their stats on this are really bad, although I heard rumours they are expected to be better this year but I think they do try to address the imbalance, e.g. they won't ask what uni you went to (to prevent any bias towards more elite unis), your expenses for the FSAC are all covered so it's accessible, not just to those who can afford to travel across the country.

Do you have linkedin? Maybe you could try and connect with some BAME Fast Streamers, see if they're willing to tell you a bit about their experiences.

As for general tips on getting on the scheme follow this page and loads of advice should come up. As a starting point read the competency framework really well :smile:
Original post by Airmed
There really is no easy and no hard schemes to get into and you definitely should NOT pick schemes based on this.

44000 people applied for the 2018 cycle. Only 900 of us got in.

As of Monday I will be a proper Fast Streamer (ie first day in office) so any questions, please do ask

Hi! Congratulations and I hope your week has been going well so far. My question is very vague as I’m quite new to the scene, but have had my eye on the fast stream concept for a while.
Could you briefly detail your journey from undergrad to now? I’m entering my first year of uni this September, and would love to hear how other people got to where I’d like to be in a few years.
Anyone here applied/applying for the Early Diversity Internship Programme?
What’s the process and any advice?
Reply 37
Original post by ZainabHAHaque
Hi! Congratulations and I hope your week has been going well so far. My question is very vague as I’m quite new to the scene, but have had my eye on the fast stream concept for a while.
Could you briefly detail your journey from undergrad to now? I’m entering my first year of uni this September, and would love to hear how other people got to where I’d like to be in a few years.

So I went to a non-RG uni, let's get that out of the way. The Fast Stream don't care about what uni you go to or what your degree is (unless you go for a scheme that requires certain stats). All they care about is getting a 2:2 or a 2:1.

I went to uni with very little work experience. I had never had a part time job before. Uni got me that in summer after finishing my first year (summer 2016). I worked at Clearing, helping people get into uni and I guess that was the start of me developing my team skills, people skills. I can't stress enough how important that is!

In my second year, I started the application for the Summer Diversity Internship Programme. I'm not BAME, but I come from a very socially deprived area and neither of my parents have university degrees. The SDIP was amazing (I can explain that in more detail if you want) and by getting into that and successfully completing it, I got a Fast Pass. This allowed me to go straight to Assessment Centre for the Fast Stream, and yeah, here I am now, very tired after my second day on the job :h:
Round two of the civil service fast stream application for me, last time I did it was 4 years ago ...
Reply 39
Where can we practise the Watson Glazer test?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending