The Student Room Group

Is it stupid to reject Brunel for Hertfordshire?

Studying ‘biochemistry’ at herts or ‘biomedical science (biochemistry)’ at Brunel

I prefer to be assessed by lots of coursework rather than exam which herts is 70% but I don’t know about Brunel

Also prefer lots of chemistry but judging by the module titles at Brunel it seems like it’s more biology while herts seems to have more chem!

But brunel is much better on the league table so is the teaching better? Is Brunel more recognised? Does it matter?

Please help and be honest
(edited 5 years ago)
I'm not sure what herts is like, but when I went to the open day at brunel the area was really not very nice. I am not sure about how the unis compare academically but if the area of the uni matters too I hope this post gives you some help.
Reply 2
Original post by loginrunner
I'm not sure what herts is like, but when I went to the open day at brunel the area was really not very nice. I am not sure about how the unis compare academically but if the area of the uni matters too I hope this post gives you some help.

I visited both open days and herts is a much nicer area (it’s just outside London) and i felt the same about Brunel, importantly though, Brunel is apparently much better academically :s thank you so much for your reply!
Original post by yan.g
Studying ‘biochemistry’ at herts or ‘biomedical science (biochemistry)’ at Brunel

I prefer to be assessed by lots of coursework rather than exam which herts is 70% but I don’t know about Brunel

Also prefer lots of chemistry but judging by the module titles at Brunel it seems like it’s more biology while herts seems to have more chem!

But brunel is much better on the league table so is the teaching better? Is Brunel more recognised? Does it matter?

Please help and be honest

Hi @yan.g,

It's great to hear you're considering studying Biochemistry at Herts.

Choosing which uni to study at can be a really difficult decision but it sounds like you're considering all the right things. It might help to rate how important each factor is to you. So you mentioned about assessment methods, if this is very important to you you can give it a high weighting in your decision. Whereas, for example, you may not mind so much about the nightlife.

You could even create a scoring table, with all the key factors about each university such as teaching standards, location, social life, facilities etc. Then for each university give each factor a score out of 5.

Once you've decided how important each factor is to you personally give that a score out of 5. Then multiply the two numbers together for each factor. So if the location of Herts scores a 5 and it's weighted at 4 (it is very important to you), that scores 20.
Then add up all of your scores and see which university scores the highest! You can then see how you feel about this and whether it was what you expected :u:

Here's a breakdown of the assessment methods and workload for our Biochemistry course. The course is accredited by the Royal Society of Biology and 97.1% of students from the School of Life and Medical Sciences are in further study or employment within 6 months of graduating.In terms of teaching, the uni has been recently rated Gold in the Teaching Excellence Framework which means we scored the highest possible standard for teaching in the UK. Here's a bit more about TEF: https://www.herts.ac.uk/clearing/gold

It's great that you came to visit an open day! Did you get a chance to tour the Science building? Are you planning on living on campus?

If you've got any questions about the course, just let me know.

Thanks,
Heather
(edited 5 years ago)

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending