The Student Room Group
Original post by Sceptical_John
Having misplaced my original GCSE certificates - it was some time ago and the school does not even know the exam board - I've asked a couple of universities for advice.

They suggested I could do a maths equivalency test but looking around I can't see where I can take this? Does it have to be through the uni once you've been offered a PGCE place?

It'd form part of your conditional offer, if you're offered a place. It won't necessarily go through the uni, but some unis offer it (like Brighton by the looks of it), and your provider should be able to direct you as to where you can take the equivalency test.

Having to do an equivalency despite passing GCSE Maths is awful though. Chances are you took it with a major exam board - such as OCR, AQA, Edexcel - so maybe enquire with each of those? I suppose a silver lining is that after all the equivalency test preparation, you'll pass the Numeracy Skills Test without really having to think about it.

And have you therefore lost your GCSE English certificate too, requiring another equivalency? (And indeed GCSE Science if you're applying for Primary?).
Passing it won't be an issue as I did a-level maths. I have English as that was a resit anyway and I'm going into secondary so won't need science it's just the maths one. It's so dumb that my maths a-level doesn't supersede the requirement but hey it's not like we have a teacher shortage or anything!

I was told it could be one of three exam boards so I could ask all three that would be about £140 anyway and even then it could be a different one? I thought if I did this exam it would guarantee it not being an issue.

I've found one place in London that does them every month. Going to ask a few exam centres around birmingham to see if they offer it but it doesn't look like they do.
A* Teachers offers equivalency tests. I took my science equivalency test (I dont have a science gcse) in Angel Islington and with fast track and 'you choose when' it was £210 so very pricey.

honestly, I misplaced my english and maths certificates but my pgce still let me in because I paid for the certifcates and they are on their way so I dont understand why you have to pay to retake despite alreading having yours
Hi there! I have been offered conditional place for pgce as well. However, being an international student I need to give gcse English and math equivalency tests as well. I thought my qualifications would be sufficient because I have an MBA and M Phil in business administration with a 3.83 cgpa l. But no, just found out gcse English and math is a must. I need to fulfil all requirements by 1st August. Literally have very little time to prepare for both the equivalency tests and the professional skills test.
You mentioned you found a place that does these gcse equivalency test every month. Can you place share the details? I intend to give mine by mid July so that I have a month to prepare.
Please share any tips you have on passing the tests. I have not studied math in 18 years, so A bit worried about that 🙈
Passing it won't be an issue as I did a-level maths. I have English as that was a resit anyway and I'm going into secondary so won't need science it's just the maths one. It's so dumb that my maths a-level doesn't supersede the requirement but hey it's not like we have a teacher shortage or anything!

I was told it could be one of three exam boards so I could ask all three that would be about £140 anyway and even then it could be a different one? I thought if I did this exam it would guarantee it not being an issue.

I've found one place in London that does them every month. Going to ask a few exam centres around birmingham to see if they offer it but it doesn't look like they do.
Reply 5
Having misplaced my original GCSE certificates - it was some time ago and the school does not even know the exam board - I've asked a couple of universities for advice.

They suggested I could do a maths equivalency test but looking around I can't see where I can take this? Does it have to be through the uni once you've been offered a PGCE place?

It may be easier and quicker to just get an equivalency and I know A* Star equivalency testing have the material available on line for delivery for a couple of pounds and the exam is currently £140 if that helps
Thread closed due to age.

Latest

Trending

Trending