The Student Room Group

Othello revision advice!

Hi I'm just wondering if anyone can give me any grade A tips on how to revise for Othello?

How do you revise?
What are the best ways to revise at A level???

Need advice please!
Bump
Reply 2
I go with posters for English, since your Othello revision can be broken down into characters, themes and quotes.
As the main thing to focus on is quotes for the exam (if yours is closed book??) write key quotes on a poster and stick this on your wall, maybe colour coded by theme/ character/ Act. Or a timeline of key events, with quotes on.
I also found the best use of my time was re-reading Othello a couple of times after we read it in class, as it's really useful to know the play well enough to have quotes off the top of your head and know where the extract in the exam is from.

Also you may want to brush up on a few context points for the exam.
Hope this helps!!
Original post by Ellen_01
I go with posters for English, since your Othello revision can be broken down into characters, themes and quotes.
As the main thing to focus on is quotes for the exam (if yours is closed book??) write key quotes on a poster and stick this on your wall, maybe colour coded by theme/ character/ Act. Or a timeline of key events, with quotes on.
I also found the best use of my time was re-reading Othello a couple of times after we read it in class, as it's really useful to know the play well enough to have quotes off the top of your head and know where the extract in the exam is from.

Hope this helps!!

Thank you
One issue for me is that I have so many quotes for each theme that I physically cannot obviously remember!
How do I shorten the amount of quotes to the ones I need...?

Thank you!
Original post by Ellen_01

Hope this helps!!

Also how would I go about analysing each scene ? I don't know how to even analyse! Im getting summaries for each scene online to just help me with the plot
Reply 5
Original post by Ariel2611
Also how would I go about analysing each scene ? I don't know how to even analyse! Im getting summaries for each scene online to just help me with the plot

I'd say don't worry about knowing each scene in huge detail, it's more important to know the overview of the plot and where in the play everything happens. The scenes to focus on are mostly just the key scenes- such as the courtroom scene Act One, the Handkerchief scene Act Four and Othello's final speech Act Five.

Also, just choose quotes that which can be interpreted in many ways and can cover several themes (and don't worry about having quotes for each minor character, like Roderigo.) For example the Othello's quotes 'for she had eyes and chose me,' covers love, race and power in their relationship.

Hope this helps :smile:
Original post by Ariel2611

Have you actually watched the play yet? As in watched a (preferebly live) performance from beginning to end?

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending