The Student Room Group

Joint grocery shopping

This might be in totally the wrong place- couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

So I am in my 2nd year, I have just moved into privately rented shared house with three other girls. We have decided to reduce costs that we will do joint shopping- sharing the essentials (milk, bread, veg etc). It also saves space as there isn't a lot of storage.

I'm looking for an app or a system of recording who buys what so that the same person isn't always buying food for everyone, and isn't being paid back.

Is there an app for this? Or does someone have an idea of how to make sure we all pay our share without it getting complicated? I'm at a loss, and basically can't afford to pay for everyone's food for the next year...

TIA :smile:
Reply 1
Hi there,

I have moved this to "University Life" for you :smile:
Original post by wonderland.16
This might be in totally the wrong place- couldn't find anywhere else to put it.

So I am in my 2nd year, I have just moved into privately rented shared house with three other girls. We have decided to reduce costs that we will do joint shopping- sharing the essentials (milk, bread, veg etc). It also saves space as there isn't a lot of storage.

I'm looking for an app or a system of recording who buys what so that the same person isn't always buying food for everyone, and isn't being paid back.

Is there an app for this? Or does someone have an idea of how to make sure we all pay our share without it getting complicated? I'm at a loss, and basically can't afford to pay for everyone's food for the next year...

When I was at uni [before apps etc] we each cooked a meal for everyone with a certain budget. For milk etc you could all just put an amount into a pot and spend from that.

i think the best way if you want to try it out, is to try and go shopping together or do it online together and split the bill using paypal or something similar. Separate shops would get incredibly difficult to track

Have a money pot that is kept in a secure plan in your house (just in case anyone has anyone over and they could take it. But anyway,

get a pot and put in a weekly sum in each. Like £5 a week each should give you enough for daily essentials like break, milk, coffee, tea, etc. What you could do is do a weekly tally table on Word, print it off and have a sign off sheet. So sign it with your signatures to make sure everyone's keeping up to date with paying. That way you'll know who's keeping up, who's paying the correct sum and so forth.

Or whoever's head of paying the bills, you could just tranfer the money into that account.

I think its partly a bad idea unless you do joint meals or restrict what food is bought.

Some people use more than others. Its ok if you use roughly the same or those who use less dont care.

Milk buy the 6 pint ones as they represent best value.

Bread, will you all use the same amount or can someone go through half a loaf?

I would just have a house kitty that maybe you all contribute £5-£10 a month to? Milk, toilet rolls, sugar, bread if you have to.
Original post by Muttley79
When I was at uni [before apps etc] we each cooked a meal for everyone with a certain budget. For milk etc you could all just put an amount into a pot and spend from that.

Yeah we plan to cook together once a week, maybe more if our courses allow. Thanks for the ideas!
Yeah we plan to cook together once a week, maybe more if our courses allow. Thanks for the ideas!

We had a rota for every day for the evening meal ... no-one had late lectures.
If you have a weekly house meal as per Muttley then I think thats a good idea for house unity. I wouldnt do it every day though.
Maybe try OurGroceries or Out of Milk? They aren't perfect, but they could be used? The cost stuff would be difficult to sort out though, like making sure you're all chipping in roughly the same amount, unless you maybe just have a shared pot for groceries, and all take from that.
Yeah, we are having shared meals weekly, plus the essentials are being shared, milk, fruit and veg etc. We have very little storage so can't all buy our own stuff, especially when it's the same food. We have decided to put money into a pot on a weekly basis and use that for shared food. I trust my housemates, but considering money is already very tight, and I'm the only one who can drive, I would be the one doing all the spending. It's more for large spending than the one offs, like the couple of quid on kitchen roll etc.

Unfortunately, as the others have no means of transport to the shop other than me, or a very expensive taxi, and we have little storage space, we are trying to share as much as we can, mostly with fresh/frozen food, nothing else.

Thanks for the input.
Original post by saffronmae
Maybe try OurGroceries or Out of Milk? They aren't perfect, but they could be used? The cost stuff would be difficult to sort out though, like making sure you're all chipping in roughly the same amount, unless you maybe just have a shared pot for groceries, and all take from that.

Okay thanks. We have decided to just put money into a pot each week and take from that. If we get more storage from the landlord then we might just scrap the idea bar milk and bread, but until then.

Thanks.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending