The Student Room Group
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield

Catered accommodation at Sheffield University?

On the uni website it says that all their rooms are self-catered, but online, people often refer to catered halls. So, is there any catered accommodation at Sheffield?

If not, what is it like being self-catered? Is it easy enough to get a range of food (don't feel like having pot noodles every night), and how much time does cooking for yourself take up?

And furthermore, do they have some scheme where you can get a card that gets topped up with some money each week to spend at their shops? I heard somewhere that they do.

Original post by matthewdg
On the uni website it says that all their rooms are self-catered, but online, people often refer to catered halls. So, is there any catered accommodation at Sheffield?

If not, what is it like being self-catered? Is it easy enough to get a range of food (don't feel like having pot noodles every night), and how much time does cooking for yourself take up?

And furthermore, do they have some scheme where you can get a card that gets topped up with some money each week to spend at their shops? I heard somewhere that they do.

Hi Matthew,

All of the university owned accommodation is self catered. Being self catered can really vary from people to people and course to course. As a computer science student, I find myself with a lot more contact hours than other departments, therefore making it more difficult to cook during the evenings. Therefore, I meal prep before on the weekends and either freeze some meals or store in the fridge. Depending on the simplicity of the meal, it can take anywhere from maybe 1-2 hours. Buying groceries is also quite easy as if you do not have time for a big shop, most supermarkets do home delivery so you can just place an order. I am not quite sure what shops you are referring to but hope I have answered the rest of your questions :smile:

Let me know if you have anymore questions,
Jivanthika
Mappin Building
University of Sheffield
Sheffield
Reply 2
Original post by University of Sheffield Students
Hi Matthew,

All of the university owned accommodation is self catered. Being self catered can really vary from people to people and course to course. As a computer science student, I find myself with a lot more contact hours than other departments, therefore making it more difficult to cook during the evenings. Therefore, I meal prep before on the weekends and either freeze some meals or store in the fridge. Depending on the simplicity of the meal, it can take anywhere from maybe 1-2 hours. Buying groceries is also quite easy as if you do not have time for a big shop, most supermarkets do home delivery so you can just place an order. I am not quite sure what shops you are referring to but hope I have answered the rest of your questions :smile:

Let me know if you have anymore questions,
Jivanthika

Thats great, thanks for the insight. And my offer for Sheffield is computer science as well, so that’s a good heads up. Cheers

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending