The Student Room Group
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele

Would you feel betrayed by a second EU referendum?

Poll

Should there be a second EU referendum?

Would a second referendum be a gross betrayal of peoples’ trust in UK democracy as stated by the Prime Minister?

On one hand, violations of promises by people or governments are a violation of trust.

On the other hand, referendums are not a normal part of the democratic process in the UK and therefore it seems unlikely that such a violation would substantially undermine our trust in our democratic form of government. This conclusion is furthered by the fact that:

(a) there have been questions about the honesty of the information presented by both sides of the Brexit debate

(b) both sides have received fines for breaching electoral campaign funding law.

Finally, government and politicians could deal with this potential violation of trust by accounts, explanations, and, apologies, as well as by wording any second referendum in a way that respects the diversity of opinion in the UK about Brexit.

What do you think? Post your thoughts here.
_________________________________________________________________________________________________

Ken J. Rotenberg is a Professor in the School of Psychology at Keele University. The primary focus of his research is on interpersonal trust. He has some 40 publications and 3 books on the topic including The Psychology of Trust published by Routledge Press. He has written on the topic for Psychology Today and The Conversation.

He is on TSR to get involved in this debate.
(edited 5 years ago)

Scroll to see replies

I'm just done with it all tbf. I guess I can say that though, as I'm in the process of getting my Irish passport :h:
Chapel, Keele University
Keele University
Keele
No.
It would be a significant waste of time and money.
But if another one was held I'd turn up to vote.
I would protest heavily.
Feel betrayed already so :dontknow:.
(edited 5 years ago)
If the vote was remain, we wouldn't be having this debate. End of.
Original post by Keele University Guest Lecturer
Would a second referendum be a gross betrayal of peoples’ trust in UK democracy as stated by the Prime Minister?

On one hand, violations of promises by people or governments are a violation of trust.

On the other hand, referendums are not a normal part of the democratic process in the UK and therefore it seems unlikely that such a violation would substantially undermine our trust in our democratic form of government. This conclusion is furthered by the fact that:

(a) there have been questions about the honesty of the information presented by both sides of the Brexit debate

(b) both sides have received fines for breaching electoral campaign funding law.

Finally, government and politicians could deal with this potential violation of trust by accounts, explanations, and, apologies, as well as by wording any second referendum in a way that respects the diversity of opinion in the UK about Brexit.

'Normailty' has nothing to do with trust. Infidelity in marriage is not 'normal' but it's amassive betrayal of trust, lying is not 'normal' in conversation but is a betrayal of trust. Indeed, the fact that a referendum is not 'a normal part of the democratic process in the UK' might give rise to the idea that it should be particularly important in the promise of it's outcome. We did something unusual in order to resolve a difficult question, it was a very close decision, but it went one way.

There are questions about the honesty of information in any and every election and fines aren't uncommon, we arent talking about a Zimbabwean voting system here.

There is certainly a diversity of opinion in the UK about Brexit, but at the time of the referendum, it was marginally in favour of leaving.

We (the UK) need to suck it up and stop being so melodramatic, we (the UK) were a key part of Europe and between us (both the UK and EU), we can negotiate anything and everything if we focus on doing so.
(edited 5 years ago)
No.

I feel delivering a Brexit no one wanted, by preventing us from entering into trade deals for several years post-Brexit, is pointless. No Brexit over nominal Brexit.

The only thing we can do is to ask the people want they actually meant by Brexit; see if the Chequers plan is anywhere near it. If it isn't, why are we bothering with the whole thing?
Bored of the entire thing. If they are going to do it stop faffing about and just get on with it. No more referendums no more nothing just either do it or dont idc.
This has been going on since my first uni open day and now im in second year
Democracy is all about respecting democratic results, even if we don't agree with them ourselves. The majority of this country voted for us to leave the EU, so thats what needs to happen.
(edited 5 years ago)
A second referendum opens the floodgates for anyone to use as a precedent for perpetual referendums if the outcome of the first does not suit their agenda.

Nicola Sturgeon would die of orgasm spasm.

The Brexit referendum proved why government by referendum does not work.
Reply 11
Original post by Notoriety
No.

I feel delivering a Brexit no one wanted, by preventing us from entering into trade deals for several years post-Brexit, is pointless. No Brexit over nominal Brexit.

The only thing we can do is to ask the people want they actually meant by Brexit; see if the Chequers plan is anywhere near it. If it isn't, why are we bothering with the whole thing?

This sums up my attitude. I find it all utterly exasperating. To my mind it is no longer about gaining a good trajectory for the country, but about simple point scoring. To quote the eminent lord Trumpington; 'sad!'
a second referrendum should be established that way people will know what they are bargaining for should we definitely have to leave the EU.
Personally I think there should be another based on the Brexit terms - we decided to leave, yes, but it wasn't based on a proposed agreement, so I don't think a further vote on that would be a betrayal.
No,

We are getting a much different deal than the one that was promised. Where’s the 350 million for the NHS, I thought this was going to be ‘the easiest trade deal in history’. Chequers leaves us under EU law without any say in it while No deal is like economic suicide. We need a people’s vote with stronger regulation so that people can get an actual sense of what is being voted for/ achieved
Original post by gjd800
This sums up my attitude. I find it all utterly exasperating. To my mind it is no longer about gaining a good trajectory for the country, but about simple point scoring. To quote the eminent lord Trumpington; 'sad!'

And as usual, I call into question the erudition of the electorate.

I think a lot of politicians had this type of Brexit in mind. Very nuanced and complex.

I think for the ordinary person on the street, they had no idea just how close our future relations with the EU would be. I don't believe they thought about services, and goods, a new customs tariff, regulatory cohesion in some areas but not others, security agreements, joining the TiSA (a free trade agreements the EU is a part of) or joining the CPTPP (which the US has now left). I believe all these answers to the Brexit question were not even in the mind of the average voter; I think they thought we would just sack off the EU and trade more with the Anglophonic countries.

But I don't particularly care what happens. We can leave and all that would happen is the value of my master's degree would go up.
No there shouldn't be a second referendum. Are you gonna vote until you get the result you want! It's an absolute joke!
Maybe we should have a referendum on whether or not we should have another referendum.
Arguably the biggest problem with the first referendum is that 'leave' wasn't a well defined option, but could be interpreted freely. If we had a second referendum, what would 'remain' mean? Would the EU let us continue under the same terms we were on before? If not, what then? Even if they would, should we ignore the problems that being a member of the EU brings and led to the vote in the first place?
If we did have a second referendum and the vote was to remain. What would that make our country look like. We would look like a load of wimps who can’t make their mind up. We have made a decision and we have to stick to it.
(edited 5 years ago)

Latest